John Battye in The Chron

If people say a move will alienate our fans then these fans really need to take a good look at themselves and see that they are part of the problem with moving this club forward!

Come on who do you support, Oldham Athletic or Boundary Park??? If they knocked the whole of BP to the ground and completely rebuilt a fantastic modern stadium fair enough, but I dont want some patch job redevelopment.

I want a nice new stadium, a fresh start!! It has happened at other clubs and they have prospered!! Here is hoping one day we can do the same!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments, we can only wonder how the club would have faired had the Sports Park 2000 project come off. One thing is for sure, we would have been in a much stronger position than we are today!!!

I'm reading between the lines, but I think Battye is suggesting a Sports Park 2000 type plan is resurrected...... the only thing about that is, we now have those houses where the Clayton Arms once stood!

And Im pretty sure the £11 million for the Westwood sale will have been guzzled up by the recent local council on stuff that isnt OAFC related. Not so sure myself, Ill wait until Im sat in row Q in the all new stadium before I believe any politician

If people say a move will alienate our fans then these fans really need to take a good look at themselves and see that they are part of the problem with moving this club forward!

Come on who do you support, Oldham Athletic or Boundary Park??? If they knocked the whole of BP to the ground and completely rebuilt a fantastic modern stadium fair enough, but I dont want some patch job redevelopment.

I want a nice new stadium, a fresh start!! It has happened at other clubs and they have prospered!! Here is hoping one day we can do the same!!

Except Id prefer the stadium to be closer to Oldham town centre than Rochdales stadium is, somewhere in Oldham would be nice

Edited by youngen

Spot on with this. I have nothing against staying at this site if it can be made viable, but a patched up stand by stand redevelopment of Boundary Park would probably take the best part of another decade. Thanks but no thanks.

Personally, within reason I dont care where the stadium is as long as the location is viable and could help sustain football at championship level. If that site does turn out to be where BP lies at the moment, then I would much rather stomach a ground share for three years whilst a stadium is built than play at a building site for yet another 6 years.

Or maybe like I said before, people are reading far too much into this like always

Politician sticks boot in on previous politician of other party. Novel.

As an aside there aren't many stadium just off a main motorway junction like Boundary Park.

I seem to remember Corney saying another council were willing to throw money at us to move us there, I aussume its Tameside. Well at the risk of obtaining a very large minus, I would like this option. Even the OMBC were willing to show the same committment then fine, but how much money have they fritted away on stupid arse projects. The ugly truth is that the majority of people in Oldham don't care about OAFC, so we might as well be in Tameside where thier council would help us out finincally speaking. The town is going down and down, look at the town centre its depressing.

Manchester United are in a different area then thier name suggests, and in the lower league Chesterfield are on the edge of thier town.

I seem to remember Corney saying another council were willing to throw money at us to move us there, I aussume its Tameside. Well at the risk of obtaining a very large minus, I would like this option. Even the OMBC were willing to show the same committment then fine, but how much money have they fritted away on stupid arse projects. The ugly truth is that the majority of people in Oldham don't care about OAFC, so we might as well be in Tameside where thier council would help us out finincally speaking. The town is going down and down, look at the town centre its depressing.

Manchester United are in a different area then thier name suggests, and in the lower league Chesterfield are on the edge of thier town.

I think it was Alan Hardy who simply said 'other councils will welcome us with open arms'. I can't recall Corney ever saying other councils were 'willing to throw money at us'.

I agree with what you say though, given Oldham Council's track record, we would be foolish to completely discount this as an option, assuming it was indeed an option and AH wasn't just saying that to put the :censored:ters on Oldham Council.

Interesting comments, we can only wonder how the club would have faired had the Sports Park 2000 project come off. One thing is for sure, we would have been in a much stronger position than we are today!!!

I'm reading between the lines, but I think Battye is suggesting a Sports Park 2000 type plan is resurrected...... the only thing about that is, we now have those houses where the Clayton Arms once stood!

In the scheme of a £20m+ investment, those houses could be brought back down again in no time.

You could be right in thinking that.. But not on clayton playing fields.. somewhere very close to there however

Why do you assume all latics fans want to stay at Boundary Park?

Think he means most fans would prefer to stay at BP if was viable.. which it could be..

In the scheme of a £20m+ investment, those houses could be brought back down again in no time.

Club buys the houses and rents them to the players, benefits - a return on investments and players living locally.

And Im pretty sure the £11 million for the Westwood sale will have been guzzled up by the recent local council on stuff that isnt OAFC related. Not so sure myself, Ill wait until Im sat in row Q in the all new stadium before I believe any politician

Granted...... but at least Battye is a home and away Latics fan, so a least we have a fan in the council this time

Spot on with this. I have nothing against staying at this site if it can be made viable, but a patched up stand by stand redevelopment of Boundary Park would probably take the best part of another decade. Thanks but no thanks.

Personally, within reason I dont care where the stadium is as long as the location is viable and could help sustain football at championship level. If that site does turn out to be where BP lies at the moment, then I would much rather stomach a ground share for three years whilst a stadium is built than play at a building site for yet another 6 years.

We already play at a building site, haven't you noticed?

Club buys the houses and rents them to the players, benefits - a return on investments and players living locally.

If you were a footballer earning a decent wedge would you want to live there? No offence at anyone who does but my point is most of them want to live where they choose, not where their employer tells them!

OMBC is absolutely skint, and it doesn't have any land with which to either give to the club, or engage in a substantial land swap with private land owners. Without private investment, the club is screwed as the local authority is in no position to help. At present, there are no projects within OMBC to consider alternative locations for latics.

I think it was Alan Hardy who simply said 'other councils will welcome us with open arms'. I can't recall Corney ever saying other councils were 'willing to throw money at us'.

I agree with what you say though, given Oldham Council's track record, we would be foolish to completely discount this as an option, assuming it was indeed an option and AH wasn't just saying that to put the :censored:ters on Oldham Council.

The problem in moving to Thameside would be estimating how many fans would we lose, if it was not easy to get to on public transport, against how many we may gain. Thameside is a big Man C area, but if promoted well, we could pick up more fans. Would we still be called Oldham Athletic or Oldham and Ashton Athletic?

If it were possible however I would much rather stay at BP if we could attract some investment.

OMBC is absolutely skint, and it doesn't have any land with which to either give to the club, or engage in a substantial land swap with private land owners. Without private investment, the club is screwed as the local authority is in no position to help. At present, there are no projects within OMBC to consider alternative locations for latics.

Funny that, because they seem to have found some money to help.