New full back needed

Where did I say replacing lee was needed before we strenghten elsewhere

It does imo need looking at because he is not a natural fullback

:censored: if eardley made the mistakes he did he would have been hammered what's the difference

Where did I say replacing lee was needed before we strenghten elsewhere

It does imo need looking at because he is not a natural fullback

:censored: if eardley made the mistakes he did he would have been hammered what's the difference

No, it doesn't.

ok, so for those who feel Lee is fantastic

Why do people rate Lee more than Black defensively because obviously Lee can do no wrong but you all thought the thread would be about Black, Why?

Didn’t see the game on Saturday ,how did he perform looked a rash tackle by him to give away the pen granted Diamond’s fault

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this.

Kieron has been exposed a little more often this season and has got forward as much either.

Not sure having Taylor in front of him yesterday helped him much. And Morais doesn't get stuck in as much as Richie Jones did.

So while it's not a witch hunt against Lee, we do need to improve our balance down the right side of the pitch.

Edited by opinions4u

The balance of the side is not one player. If you look at the team, each individual you would say is adequate for league one football and given that we shouldn't be worried about relegation. The trouble currently at Latics is the balance or more so shape of the side. The midfield players work as hard if not harder than the oppo due to the fact we chase the ball far too often. We don't hold our shape enough and that's the reason second phase ball tends to break for the oppo and not us. Working hard and not smart. It as the knock effect that we don't support the player in possession with runs off the ball enough due to needing a breather. Too many times in a match our players are left admiring the hard work they've just done instead of anticipating fast breaking football.

That said I felt the players deserved their draw against a much fancied and much more costly assembled side yesterday. Off that showing from Hudds though the best they can hope for is play off's for me.

The balance of the side is not one player. If you look at the team, each individual you would say is adequate for league one football and given that we shouldn't be worried about relegation. The trouble currently at Latics is the balance or more so shape of the side. The midfield players work as hard if not harder than the oppo due to the fact we chase the ball far too often. We don't hold our shape enough and that's the reason second phase ball tends to break for the oppo and not us. Working hard and not smart. It as the knock effect that we don't support the player in possession with runs off the ball enough due to needing a breather. Too many times in a match our players are left admiring the hard work they've just done instead of anticipating fast breaking football.

That said I felt the players deserved their draw against a much fancied and much more costly assembled side yesterday. Off that showing from Hudds though the best they can hope for is play off's for me.

Totally agree - basic problem with Latics is that all too often we don't play as a team and the thread illustrates the consequence - individuals blamed instead of the team's overall performance.

In yesterday's game, the first quarter apart, we were poor in midfield - chased when we should have covered and held back when we should have pushed on. We gave posession away too easily and didn't support each other.

I don't like to single out individuals but I thought Wesolowski in particular had a difficult game - it seemed to me as though he was trying to be both ball winner and player (in the style of Furman) but failed. Given that he's a relative newcomer and was partnered with the new lad from Norwich, I would have expected Taylor & Morais to be more proactive in supporting the two middle men but they didn't seem willing to move away from their designated wider positions. It also made it easire for Huddersfield to exploit the channels and their goal came from a position that should have been defended by Morais (imo).

Still, early days. We didn't lose and hopefully the team will improve as they get more playing time.

Yet again our centre midfield were playing their first game together, this season already we've had:

Furman & Lund

Furman & Wes

Wes & Winchester

Wes & Tom

All playing their first game together, chuck in that Diamond and M'voto still haven't gelled as a proper centreback partnership and we are going to be iffy right through the middle. Wes has been one of our best players this season despite him speed-dating nearly every game and he is multi-tasking between destructive and offensive duties, I'd like to see more support for our full backs coming from the midfielders but at the moment they have enough on their plate supporting their central midfield partners as they do not yet have a proper partnership.

The cover for the fullbacks has to come from the wingers then but as we know, neither of them really want to cross that half way line going backwards too often so we are left with exposed fullbacks which is highlighting their mistakes. Fortunately most of the sides we play will not have the guile and skill to make this pay.

Thought I'd bump this.

Kieron has been exposed a little more often this season and has got forward as much either.

Not sure having Taylor in front of him yesterday helped him much. And Morais doesn't get stuck in as much as Richie Jones did.

So while it's not a witch hunt against Lee, we do need to improve our balance down the right side of the pitch.

Nail on the head, Jones was no world beater but we were more secure with disciplined right and left-sided midfielders that contributed to our good run last season. It was when Dickov went for it with the 'enigmas' that we began to struggle. I 'd still rather have a disciplined player(s) in front of our full-backs and allow Morais to change a game from the bench...

Nail on the head, Jones was no world beater but we were more secure with disciplined right and left-sided midfielders that contributed to our good run last season. It was when Dickov went for it with the 'enigmas' that we began to struggle. I 'd still rather have a disciplined player(s) in front of our full-backs and allow Morais to change a game from the bench...

Morais worked as hard as I have seen him yesterday - even got the sponsors MoM :huh:

Personally I think Lee has struggled so far at home this season. I haven't been away yet(thought he has played consistently well since playing rb until this season though).

However second half yesterday he was superb, so hopefully this is the start of his season.

I wouldn't have thought finding another rb was a priority with limited budgets.

Thought Diallo(?)had a great game though until he got sent off, oops !

We don't need a new full-back on the right hand side - Lee is a more than adequate L1 Right back. Granted I'd agree he hasn't hit last seasons levels yet; but he hasn't been dire either.

Paul Black is still a young lad finding his way; and whilst I'd agree he's along way from a Simon Charlton type; he is far from needing to be replaced.

Diallo had a very, very impressive debut and looked the part IMO; he was very assured both going forward and going back....

We're set for full-backs IMO; there's no need to panic in these areas