Dropping flair players away from home

When lesser teams (Exeter, B Rovers etc) come to BP often they play 4-5-1 and more often than not grind out a 1-0 win or at least a creditable draw. Ive never seen Latics do this other than Hudds away last year which we gained a very good point from. I think players like Morais are luxury players and Dickov was absolutely spot on dropping him and playing Mellor who seemed to put more of a graft in defensively aswell as popping up when we got forward. I largely think this is the key to us winning last night, we ground out a result rather than playing excellent football and getting thumped. Players like Morais and Taylor at home should be given the freedom to get at players, which is why I think we will see Morais back in on Saturday for Mellor, but away from home I would much prefer a defensive tactically better team, and I think Dickov got the selection spot on last night.

Also a quick mention for Wesolowski, he read everything perfectly and broke down a lot of the play, even though a dodgy 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half from him and Winchester put us under pressure!

Fully agree, When I saw the team for last night I thought that is what Dickov had done. People have said that Morais is a luxury/ impact sub and at time he is, away at decent sides we have to soak up pressure and take the most of any opportunities that come our way. We can't have a cavalier attitude all the time, the wingers need to protect their full backs, be disciplined and drop in when needed, same as all the midfield really.

So glad for Dickov that it worked last night, I said on here yesterday that he should stick with Reid and Smith upfront so they could forge their partnership, good job he is paid to make these decisions and not me!

As one of Morais biggest fans I agree with this sentiment, sometimes you have to adapt to the conditions and if playing 2 banks of four or sticking 5 across the middle and grinding out results like last night is whats required then this is definately worthwhile. Just aslong as we don't fall into the trap that Dave Penney fell into and completely neglect attack. When we go away from home certainly against the bigger teams we will still have to give them something to think about at the other end, otherwise we will invite pressure and never get out of our half. The fact that Dickov seems to have developed a much vaunted plan B as of last night seems to be encouraging.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Correct and if lost last night could have been accused of lightweight selection.

Mellor will be the next big "Hold onto" player only 17 remember Sweetleftfootskie.... described by TP as a "wand" scored two crackers so far one with either foot.

Think Wes is key and Furman eventually....

Great result last night but we still need to improve. We ground out a result but I feel we weren't in control for large parts of the game and Scunthorpe attacked at will. Playing against a team who took their chances and it would have been a different story. The midfield still seemed too lightweight for me.

Difference this year from last year is we are a threat from set-pieces. We wouldn't have scored that second goal last season and although it's our first so far this season it certainly won't be our last, a major weapon we didn't have.