US Road Trip

maddog

Hi All.

Since our family and friends gatecrashed what should have been our honeymoon when we got married in Cuba this year, we've decided to take a belated honeymoon in May next year. We're having a 3-week long road trip to the states. We've got all our stops sorted (and accommodation booked), but were wondering if anyone else has been and / or has any advice about what we could see or do in each place / en route. We have a couple of guide books, and there's always tinternet, but any suggestions appreciated! I think we'd like to see a MLB game while we're over there (if it's during the season), but not sure who or where.

We fly into Vegas, and out of LA. (Packed and ambitious) Itinerary is as follows:

4 nights in Vegas, Nevada

2 nights in Kanab, Utah (North rim of Grand Canyon)

1 night undecided

1 night in Pahrump, Nevada

1 night in Death Valley, California

1 night in Mammoth Lakes, California

1 night in Merced, California

3 nights in San Francisco, California

1 night in Monterey, California

2 nights in Bakersfield, California

4 nights in Long Beach, California

Ta muchly!

Edit: we realised after booking accommodation at Mammoth Lakes and Merced, either sie of Yosemite NP (and hoping to drive through), that we might be unable to drive through due to roads being shut due to snow, and something about snow chains being compulsory (although not allowed on our hire car). So we may have to go round instead. 'Round' is a long drive. Doh!

Edited by maddog

Don't bother with the MLB and take in an NHL playoff game in San Jose which will be around that time. Aside from that piece of common sense I have nothing to add. :wink:

NHL would be a second choice but I like the idea of hours of beer in the open air more!

If you are in baseball time (April through to September), then your options appear to be Oakland or San Francisco from, well obviously, San Fran. Or Anaheim (Angels) from Long Beach. It is very drink orientated. I was well impressed in Cincinnati where the cans were pint and a half size. I'm not a beer drinker so I had to settle for 8% Mike's Even Harder Limeade - which sadly were a mere pint size.

If you are out of baseball time, but in college (american) football time (September to January), then Fresno State is right there by Merced (its worth it for the atmosphere if you aren't a fan of the sport).

I found LA too spread out (if you have a hire car you should be much better off though) and San Fran a bit like Florence; Loads to see, but you have to look over the shoulders of hundreds of tourists to see it.

If you are in baseball time (April through to September), then your options appear to be Oakland or San Francisco from, well obviously, San Fran. Or Anaheim (Angels) from Long Beach. It is very drink orientated. I was well impressed in Cincinnati where the cans were pint and a half size. I'm not a beer drinker so I had to settle for 8% Mike's Even Harder Limeade - which sadly were a mere pint size.

If you are out of baseball time, but in college (american) football time (September to January), then Fresno State is right there by Merced (its worth it for the atmosphere if you aren't a fan of the sport).

I found LA too spread out (if you have a hire car you should be much better off though) and San Fran a bit like Florence; Loads to see, but you have to look over the shoulders of hundreds of tourists to see it.

Yeah, we're going in May and hiring a car from our last night in Vegas onwards. Looks like we'll be in season in SF or LA then. Whoop!

Then I'd take in Anaheim if I were you. Oakland is an American Football stadium so a bit naff (although the game I saw there was awesome). I've not been to San Fran. The Dodgers is more for Central LA, and is okay. But Long Beach is about 15 miles from Anaheim which is as ideally placed as you get in LA.

However, make sure you have transport back from Anaheim and don't end up drunkenly wandering around dodgy Mexican estates at one in the morning. Not that I'd do that.

• 3 weeks later...