Ronnie Moore

The Vote  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Will you send him to the sanctuary?

• Yes, what a donkey - send him down
    • No, you got it wrong - he was ace

I agree with the second part, but lets not make Joe Royle out to be perfect.

Granted - the best manager I have ever seen at Latics by a long (long) chalk, but Joe did have his flaws. When we had some reasonable cash after he did make some dodgey signings - 750k for Ian Olney?

Back OT Seems as though there is now enough of a margin to think the poll is done and dusted. Not sure its the right outcome personally though

And we were absolutely :censored:e away under Royle, the home thrills and spills papered over a lot of cracks!

Olney was better than many on here give him credit for, if he'd not got injured I'm convinced we may have stayed up in 93/94

but I get the gist of what you are saying

£225k for Moulden

£250k for Kilcline

£400k for McDonald

£400k for Currie

£300k for Keeley

£350k for Kane

£200k + for Banger (his parting gift)

When he had money he was pretty clueless, I have always said it was time to move on when we scraped survival in '93 - he had taken us as far as he could. We were far from skint at the time but needed some new ideas, from the winter months of 91/92 onwards we were playing an increasingly direct game, leaving Holden on the bench in favour of an extra defender or midfielder and simply lumping it up. There were still flashes of the old excitement but the writing was on the wall. Joe's a legend,and deservedly so he worked miracles, he's a deity even but i'm convinced he stayed at the club 18 months too long. I think if Everton had plumped for Joe instead of Mike Walker in September 1993 then new impetus may have helped us survive in the top-flight a bit longer. Just my opinion….

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic