Ronnie Moore

The Vote  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Will you send him to the sanctuary?

• Yes, what a donkey - send him down
    • No, you got it wrong - he was ace

Unsurprisingly Starbuck made it in to the Donkey Sanctuary, PV's Hall of Footballing Arses.

You've had it easy over the last month, let's crank up the controversy and offer number two in our Donkey Manager series: Ronnie Moore.

260r08w.png

Ronnie Moore was born on the 29th January 1953, he made over 300 appearances for the Dippers over two stints, and was one even one of the players who played in the NASL. He turned to management as caretaker at Tranmere in 1987 whilst still playing for them. After managing Southport and Rotherham, he linked up with Oldham Athletic in March 2005 and lasted until June 1st 2006. He was in charge at Boundary park for 65 games, winning 23, drawing 18 and losing 24. Some say he brought nothing fresh to the club, others argue that given time he could have made it work. Unofficially his management style became the excuse for fans to revolt on the terraces and forced Corney to sack him...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont know. He was a decent football manager but i think he had the best chance of any of our recent managers. I was sure that Talbot would have loved to get rid of the deadwood he was left with and be able to sign the likes of wellens, uncle ron was and didnt make anything of the chance.

I really dont know. He was a decent football manager but i think he had the best chance of any of our recent managers. I was sure that Talbot would have loved to get rid of the deadwood he was left with and be able to sign the likes of wellens, uncle ron was and didnt make anything of the chance.

One more season, that's all he needed. We'd have gone up automatically, I'm convinced of it.

how can a manager who finished 10th with us 6 points from the playoffs be classed as a donkey ?

For getting what has been one of the best midfielders in the division at the time, Butcher, er sorry, Wellens, then giving him neckache by getting the defence to hoof it over his head for 90 minutes.

Enjoy your time in the Sanctuary Ronnie.

For getting what has been one of the best midfielders in the division at the time, Butcher, er sorry, Wellens, then giving him neckache by getting the defence to hoof it over his head for 90 minutes.

Enjoy your time in the Sanctuary Ronnie.

Oh yes, that. Don the nosebag, Ronald.

I got uncle Ronnie the job you know.

Football wasn't great but he would have took us up the following season imo.

Had the Penney era never happened; I would confidently be able say that the football under Ronnie was the worst in my time of watching - for Penney to beat Uncle Ron to the accolade of 'worse football to watch' is quite an achievement; considering the neck-ache I used to get sat in the Lookers, watching endless hoofs forwards, bypassing one of the better midfields we've had in a long time.

Awful bloke; and I don’t think that can be argued against can it? But, even though he was a tool, and his football was rank - it was results based. I agree with others who say he could have got us up the following year; as I think he probably could have, but as always; it would have been truly awful to watch happen. It’s the old debate I guess; do you take promotion at the expense of good football, would you be happy having gone up if you hadn't been entertained at all? I think even though I want & expect good football, I would always take the promotion. TTA had a decision to make though, I wasn’t going to renew my season ticket to watch long ball dross week in, week out, and by the sales figures; neither were a great number of others. In that financial respect they were right IMO. He could probably have got us up; but there would have been sub 2000 around to witness it and that was the issue.

I'm on the fence I guess; but swaying more to the sanctuary for the sheer god-awful football he oversaw and the way he conducted himself, over the results he achieved. He goes in; just.

Ronnie did a good job here, his football wasn't the most pleasing to the eye but it got us results and gave us a chance of the play offs when the season before he saved us from relegation.

That said sacking Ronnie and bringing in Shez brought the football back and I saw one of the most entertaining and enjoyable seasons of football I've seen, using Ronnie's players.

Definately not a donkey.

LUKE BECKETT

The very same Luke Beckett who scored 18 goals for us, which was more than any Latics frontman had managed for some considerable time

And the very same Luke Beckett who Shez opted not to sign as 'he wasn't his sort of player'

Even on a reduced budget, I think he would have got us to at least the top 6 the following season. So voted a no from me.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Made good signings and then didn't have a clue what to do with them.

Just to tidy that up a bit - made good attacking signings. Just had flashbacks to his defensive acquisitions: Terrible Forbes, Rob Scott, Guy Branston, Chris Swailes, Chris Day...

A thousand times yes.

It’s the old debate I guess; do you take promotion at the expense of good football, would you be happy having gone up if you hadn't been entertained at all? I think even though I want & expect good football, I would always take the promotion. :wink:
Edited by slystallone

Thanks to Ronnie for persuading me to get into the Clayton early during many of his 'gash' team performances - I spent quite a few happy afternoons wallowing in the golden ale of John Willy Lees, thinking what a t w a ........this guy really is.

My opinion certainly hasn't changed - he'll make good company for Starbuck et al.