Sports Broadcasting Rights - Sky Loses Court Case

The Portsmouth pub landlady has won her court case to enable her to show live football on TV, other than via Sky TV, with massive repercussions. Not least of these is the fact that even more people will be tempted to stay in the pub on Latics match-days.

The issues are discussed in this BBC article.

Sky is no longer the limit

Glad she won... You should be able to buy from any willing provider within the EU...

I see no reason why a new clause can not be put into that states the European broadcaster must live by the 3pm rule... If I am right then this could actually strengthen the protection of this rule. If not more TV money should come to the lower league clubs. Wishful thinking granted.

Edited by oafc0000

Glad she won... You should be able to buy from any willing provider within the EU...

I see no reason why a new clause can not be put into that states the European broadcaster must live by the 3pm rule... If I am right then this could actually strengthen the protection of this rule. If not more TV money should come to the lower league clubs. Wishful thinking granted.

There are still areas to be decided though, such as the graphics and the Premier League theme (???) are covered but the actual pictures and broadcasting of the match aren't. The next TV deal is up for negotiation in 2013 and many think the PL will simply agree an Europe wide deal with SKY to try and tighten up the law. Again, though i'm not too sure how enforceable this can be as we are part of the EU and Premier League games are simply tv pictures broadcast from an area of the EU.

What we will undoubtedly see (eventually) is individual teams trying to railroad through individual broadcast of their games - which imo is a risk as the League as a whole is the cash cow, i'm not too sure if Liverpool v Swansea or Chelsea v Blackburn will attract the revenues. Prem Plus failed miserably a few years back. I reckon though there might be a tiered package - the big head to heads, then the :censored:e left over, meaning the foreign broadcasters will have to pay an extra premium to make it worthwhile...

There are still areas to be decided though, such as the graphics and the Premier League theme (???) are covered but the actual pictures and broadcasting of the match aren't. The next TV deal is up for negotiation in 2013 and many think the PL will simply agree an Europe wide deal with SKY to try and tighten up the law. Again, though i'm not too sure how enforceable this can be as we are part of the EU and Premier League games are simply tv pictures broadcast from an area of the EU.

What we will undoubtedly see (eventually) is individual teams trying to railroad through individual broadcast of their games - which imo is a risk as the League as a whole is the cash cow, i'm not too sure if Liverpool v Swansea or Chelsea v Blackburn will attract the revenues. Prem Plus failed miserably a few years back. I reckon though there might be a tiered package - the big head to heads, then the :censored:e left over, meaning the foreign broadcasters will have to pay an extra premium to make it worthwhile...

The argument that it will have repercussions for the likes of Latics is complete nonsense - but Murdoch's lot will encourage that view. If people prefer to sit in the pub, rather than going to see live (as in, actually live) football, they'll do it regardless.

Sky will just now agree an EU-wide deal that ensures they get as much money as possible and will refuse to sell rights to Greek networks and the like. They'll probably also try to exploit the copyright issue by insisting that the EU networks use the logos, etc. Not sure this will work though, as this would probably be construed as an implied licence to use such designs and claiming infringement on the basis that it is being broadcast in another EU country is something I don't think the ECJ would be awfully impressed by.

The money won't filter down any more than it does now.

The argument that it will have repercussions for the likes of Latics is complete nonsense - but Murdoch's lot will encourage that view. If people prefer to sit in the pub, rather than going to see live (as in, actually live) football, they'll do it regardless.

Sky will just now agree an EU-wide deal that ensures they get as much money as possible and will refuse to sell rights to Greek networks and the like. They'll probably also try to exploit the copyright issue by insisting that the EU networks use the logos, etc. Not sure this will work though, as this would probably be construed as an implied licence to use such designs and claiming infringement on the basis that it is being broadcast in another EU country is something I don't think the ECJ would be awfully impressed by.

The money won't filter down any more than it does now.

I see what you're saying, but if you'd have said 20 years ago that there'd be a culture of people going to the pub on Sundays simply to watch Premier Greed football, you might have been laughed out of town. The culture is the problem. If people start to think that football is what's on the telly on Saturday, they won't go to games.

I don't mind this trouble for Murdoch, but I worry about Latics, especially since we're surrounded by megawealthy clubs. Weirdly, the best thing for us might be a form of ultra capitalism, in which the home club determines broadcast rights. The premier league model of the league selling broadcast rights en bloc looks seriously shaky - if it goes, the inequalities brought about by, for instance, parachute payments will disappear.

• 4 months later...