Latics V Southend

Given that vicious wind whipped off the Pennines, it was never going to be one for the purists tonight. It was what I expected to be fair; a crude frustrating game. But, boy, what a payoff.

Their lads idiotic sending off turned the game massively, as I thought we were both even-stevens up to that point. Perhaps even Southend edging it on chances. That stupidity ranks right up there with the Craig davies headbutting the player right in front of the ref at Rochdale that time. Picks up a certain booking for a pretty OTT challenge and then minutes later lunges in like a madman. How he even had the nerve to start applauding to everyone as he's walking off I'll never know. This clearly removed the sting from them as they resorted to a congested middle conceding space to us on the flanks and rarely heading over the halfway line.

I was surprised with them after the goal though. It's a cup game, they're 0-1 down and still our keeper hardly has a shot to make. I expected them to come right out at us, in a :censored:-or-bust move but they played pretty much that same, congested defence formation. Surely losing 0-4 wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference.

Anyways, on the night I thought we were pretty poor, squandering possession quite cheaply and playing too many hospital passes. On reflection though, it was a tough old game. The wind played a major factor, the pitch started to bobble a bit and you can't underplay what nerves and the prize on offer effects the way players play.

Keiran Lee was excellent, and made a number of probing runs which unsettled Southend. Dean and Wes were rocks in the middle and Chris Taylor capped a decent performance with a goal. he worked very hard for that. Kuqi though showed yet again what he's capable of. Another below-par game, yet his break and doing enough to keep the move going brought on the goal. Cisak looked solid in goal too, despite the heart-in-mouth fumble late in the second half (but hey, how kind did that bobble up for him?). Although the saves looked routine, a couple of them were great reaction stops - this guy is proving to be a real gem and can certainly play at a higher level.

Absolutely superb for the club that a rewarding season is unfolding. I feel it's quite imperitive now that we utilise this and start nailing some key players (and manager) down on longer contracts (surely the Anfield payday and potential Wembley trip can go some way in leverage here). Some positive news on the BP redevelopment next month would go some way to blowing a few more cobwebs off the club too. We can but hope.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic