The current state of the pitch

Anyonelse think that the ball bobbled alot yesterday and that it contributed to what was to be frank a poor game of football.

I think this is something that contributes to our poor second half of the season performances over the past few years as we are having to play a style that grinds out results. Now it would be un fair to lumber this all on the state of the pitch 2 teams have to play on it and we have to play the conditions. However the time to reintroduce artificial surfaces is IMO overdue the discussions are being had now with the football league so hopefully we are moving in the right direction. Part of the problem is ofcourse clubs like ours simply can't afford to allocate the resources to a beautiful bowling green of a pitch.

Having played myself on some of the 3G pitches at Platt Lane and at Carrington used by city and uniteds reserves the ball runs alot more truer and they are much nicer to fall on than the old school astro turf, and they would encourage teams to get the ball on the deck and pass it which would be much more pleasing on the eye.

I'm not saying that this is the solution to our second half of the season problems of the last 5 years but it is the most affordable. We can't afford to have a big squad with effectively a first 11 and a second eleven that is as strong like the bigger clubs. Lets face it games with the quality of yesterday aren't going to bring people back through the gates and I think clubs like ours should push the football league to introduce these they might just give us an edge, and turn Boundary Park into the fortress it was in the late 80's early 90's.

The snow / frost has been the issue and is almost certainly the cause of it cutting up so badly

Its not in a great state, but its the same for both teams.

.....And we were able to still put some pretty decent passing moves together in both halves

The snow and frost becomes less of an issue on an artifical surface and their will be less postponements another plus point. We did show flashes of decent football yesterday but that was all it was and I can't see that improving as the pitch cuts up more and more. Its not so bad out wide but in the centre of the park it cuts up and became a war of attrition in there, it just seems that this is the most affordable approach to solving our 2nd half of the season slow down.

I blame the Roughyeds…..oh hang on……..

You're surely not trying to say that Rugby doesn't affect the pitch here are you? and you a teacher an all.

Given the weather Latics get year in year out and the lack of money we have in all budget area's the pitch condition to back in the day is amazing. Plus the game is far quicker these days with balloons for balls!!

Edited by Lags

It is true that we have tried to be passing sides under Dickov and Shez and a poor pitch is going to hurt those sides more than it will opposition who play direct game. Not sure it excuses us being :censored:e against all-comers for most second halves of a season though. Or :censored:e all season under Penney.

You're surely not trying to say that Rugby doesn't affect the pitch here are you? and you a teacher an all.

Given the weather Latics get year in year out and the lack of money we have in all budget area's the pitch condition to back in the day is amazing. Plus the game is far quicker these days with balloons for balls!!

It doesn't have as much of an effect as many on here say. Look at the Gayfarm, the KC and Keep Goats……even the JCB….both are dual use. The pitch performed pretty well as a dual use facility from 2001 onwards once the council relaid it properly. Obviously more than 10 years on and through cost-cutting, the weather over the last 3 or 4 years has taken its toll.

The pitch is fooked at the moment due to the weather over the last few years, coupled with our pitch maintenance consisting of a bag of grass seed and a :censored: load of green paint every summer that SC pays zillions for…..

Edited by oafcprozac