We are going down

I'd never sing or shout some of the abuse that some of our supporters have done in the past, but frustrations boil over and if it doesn't suit those post on here they look down on others for voicing their opinion. It's best coming from those who moan about this and that yet would never say anything to the players' or Dickov's face.

Anyway, the result. Not good enough and if we're dancing with joy about a last-minute equaliser coming from the penalty spot against a side who were battered 4-0 (and I listened to the match after we lost to Wednesday and I've never heard commentators sound so depressed) then we really have become a nothing club.

Look at the bottom ten sides, nine excluding us. Who have we lost to? Six of them. We've drawn two and got so lucky when Walsall missed a penalty.

Now I'll buy our injury crisis because, yes it's been cruel, it's been horrible, but for me it has rendered us incapable of matching those in the top eight. It hasn't crippled us to the point where we put in the sort of performances that has actually embarrassed me. Look at Orient - they're incredibly poor, yet amongst their recent losses, some of them heavy, they took an easy 1-0 at Boundary Park.

Is that acceptable? Can we blame the injuries? Can we blame cruel luck for the losses of late? I don't mean losing to Charlton and Wednesday, but Orient, Yeovil, Scunthorpe, and so nearly this afternoon?

I don't condone barracking players in the manner some fans do, but when will some take of the blinders? Paul Dickov has damaged his reputation, and for me this season has been a total flop. Cup runs aside, what has been achieved? Blame injuries all we like, but I saw us lose to the likes of Colchester and Tranmere at the beginning of the season and we were woeful. We were as bad at Brentford as we were then, and if Dickov is a man who can only work with his four or five best players I worry.

Alas, no doubt I'm a miserable fan who doesn't understand our position, both short-term and long-term.

I'd never sing or shout some of the abuse that some of our supporters have done in the past, but frustrations boil over and if it doesn't suit those post on here they look down on others for voicing their opinion. It's best coming from those who moan about this and that yet would never say anything to the players' or Dickov's face.

Anyway, the result. Not good enough and if we're dancing with joy about a last-minute equaliser coming from the penalty spot against a side who were battered 4-0 (and I listened to the match after we lost to Wednesday and I've never heard commentators sound so depressed) then we really have become a nothing club.

Look at the bottom ten sides, nine excluding us. Who have we lost to? Six of them. We've drawn two and got so lucky when Walsall missed a penalty.

Now I'll buy our injury crisis because, yes it's been cruel, it's been horrible, but for me it has rendered us incapable of matching those in the top eight. It hasn't crippled us to the point where we put in the sort of performances that has actually embarrassed me. Look at Orient - they're incredibly poor, yet amongst their recent losses, some of them heavy, they took an easy 1-0 at Boundary Park.

Is that acceptable? Can we blame the injuries? Can we blame cruel luck for the losses of late? I don't mean losing to Charlton and Wednesday, but Orient, Yeovil, Scunthorpe, and so nearly this afternoon?

I don't condone barracking players in the manner some fans do, but when will some take of the blinders? Paul Dickov has damaged his reputation, and for me this season has been a total flop. Cup runs aside, what has been achieved? Blame injuries all we like, but I saw us lose to the likes of Colchester and Tranmere at the beginning of the season and we were woeful. We were as bad at Brentford as we were then, and if Dickov is a man who can only work with his four or five best players I worry.

Alas, no doubt I'm a miserable fan who doesn't understand our position, both short-term and long-term.

I beg to differ! It very probably is.

What do you actually expect? What on earth could we have achieved? Dickov is a miracle worker, some of the players he's signed on his budget are incredible - Simpson, Kuqi etc. The bloke's got us to Anfield, and to within a defensive cock up and a missed penalty of Wembley, on top of which we've survived without even worrying about it (excluding the last few games).

I don't care how good a manager you are, without key players you're gonna struggle - that's why they're called key players! We went several weeks without any first choice centre halfs, the best keeper I've seen in a Latics shirt since Pogs has been out for a few weeks now, without having such bad luck with injuries and suspensions we'd be top half without a shadow of a doubt.

What do you actually expect? What on earth could we have achieved? Dickov is a miracle worker, some of the players he's signed on his budget are incredible - Simpson, Kuqi etc. The bloke's got us to Anfield, and to within a defensive cock up and a missed penalty of Wembley, on top of which we've survived without even worrying about it (excluding the last few games).

I don't care how good a manager you are, without key players you're gonna struggle - that's why they're called key players! We went several weeks without any first choice centre halfs, the best keeper I've seen in a Latics shirt since Pogs has been out for a few weeks now, without having such bad luck with injuries and suspensions we'd be top half without a shadow of a doubt.

What do I expect? If you're asking do I expect us to be challenging for promotion then no, do I hell as like. We hardly climbed Everest to get to Anfield, did we? What centre-half are we talking about? Diamond? Tarky kept him out of the side. M'voto? He's had a distinctly average season. Most would agree. Look at our brightest spell of this season, and think back to Preston and Carlisle.

At the moment we're missing Wesowlowski and he is the only other I'd consider key, maybe (maybe) barring Reid. Dickov has still been unable to do anything beyond his tired excuses.

I like the man, but some seem to think he's the Messiah, working wonders and turning whatever he touches to gold. My gripe is the performances and the fight. Look at Chesterfield - scrapping. Are we showing fight, spirit? I'd say no to be honest. That's nowt to do with squad health, that's about attitude.

What do I expect? If you're asking do I expect us to be challenging for promotion then no, do I hell as like. We hardly climbed Everest to get to Anfield, did we? What centre-half are we talking about? Diamond? Tarky kept him out of the side. M'voto? He's had a distinctly average season. Most would agree. Look at our brightest spell of this season, and think back to Preston and Carlisle.

At the moment we're missing Wesowlowski and he is the only other I'd consider key, maybe (maybe) barring Reid. Dickov has still been unable to do anything beyond his tired excuses.

I like the man, but some seem to think he's the Messiah, working wonders and turning whatever he touches to gold. My gripe is the performances and the fight. Look at Chesterfield - scrapping. Are we showing fight, spirit? I'd say no to be honest. That's nowt to do with squad health, that's about attitude.

Look at Chesterfield?? What in the relegation zone?? Get a grip!! Any team in their position would show even more desire than us! It's shame they didn't all season when we did!

Sorry, I meant centre mids, but the point stands. You say you didn't expect promotion, so what did you expect? Except for the last few weeks, we've been solidly mid table. If you've actually had a glance at the table recently, you'll notice that there's only 3 points between us and 13th, and only 6 between us and a top 10 finish. The league is congested as hell, and there's no meaningful difference between us and that expected mid table finish. If at the start of the season you'd offered a trip to Anfield, getting through to the regional final of the JPT, and being 2 wins from top 10, I'd have bitten your hand off.

Sorry, I meant centre mids, but the point stands. You say you didn't expect promotion, so what did you expect? Except for the last few weeks, we've been solidly mid table. If you've actually had a glance at the table recently, you'll notice that there's only 3 points between us and 13th, and only 6 between us and a top 10 finish. The league is congested as hell, and there's no meaningful difference between us and that expected mid table finish. If at the start of the season you'd offered a trip to Anfield, getting through to the regional final of the JPT, and being 2 wins from top 10, I'd have bitten your hand off.

100% agree, but for me it's where we deserve to be. Our league position has only started to become a concern because teams have caught us up, but our form since Christmas has been very poor. Now I accept that injuries have taken their toll, but as I say when have we ever been so depleted we couldn't contest the likes of Rochdale, Leyton Orient.and Wycombe?

We've had Kuqi fit all season, our wingers have been fit all season, Simpson nearly so yet we've won five league games since the start of 2012 (all by a single goal). Apart from Sheffield United, would you say that our injuries have rendered us incapable of beating Walsall, Tranmere Hartlepool or Bournemouth, three of which were at home? I wouldn't.

My point is this: when you look at those we have lost to, and in the fashion we have done so, I don't think we can point in the direction of the injuries every time. The manner in which we have gone down this calender year is nothing to do with injuries, but attitude and fight.

I've gotta hand it to the majority of our fans - I've never known us get behind a manager as we have Dickov.

Edited by UpTheLatics

spot on bud

I would fully expect Exeter, Dale and Chesterfield to do very well until that R apprears next to their name on the table. Our next two games are against clubs who don't need any points and if it comes down to it I'm not conviced we will get anything against Carlisle. We still need a win because at least one of Latics, Orient or Walsall are going to get relegated.

I think one of the bottom will say up. They will will all their games, and one of latics, Orient or Walsall will fall apart. Just when everybody starts to believe that they are safe ... disaster strikes .... And now because i have said it on a public forum it won't happen

I'm starting to dislike our own supporters. It's madness. We are where we are because a) People dont go, which leads to b)Having no money to buy a team full of decent players, ending up at c)Lower half of the league.

If i'm honest, some fans need to get a grip. We're doing well to survive in a league which is getting more and more competitive each season with not a pot to piss in, really. Yes, the management is poor at times, yes, the players arent all Pele's, but the will to do well is there.

What is the point of singing that to the players? Is that going to make Robbo et al stay next season? I think not.

This /\

It comes down to managing expectations - in terms of the fan base IMO.

If people were starting the season expecting the play-offs or the like, then this season will have no doubt been a massive disappointment and seen as a huge failiure.

Unfortunately, we are what we are for the exact point you make above. Poor crowds = poor budget = poor league position.

I would say it's an obvious one but look at the top 6 in the league, and look at their gates and their playing budgets. Then, move onto the bottom 6/7, where we find oursleves; and look at the gates and the budgets. It's not rocket science to spot the differences.

I wanted progress over last season - namely in the cup competitions and a climb in the league. I expected a similar season to the one we've had.

We now look like we've avoided being properly sucked into the dog fight, and that vital point has just about seen us safe, we have the remaining games to get as many points as possible and try to climb higher than 17th place.

Knowing latics, now the pressure of being sucked into the relegation scrap proper is gone - wouldn't it be typical for us to be unbeaten in the remaining games?

That said - fans chanting 'not fit to wear the shirt' and booing is just plain stupid. It's hardly going to make the out of contract players want to sign on again; with fans who turn when the chips are down.

It's sad to admit after our 'purple period' in the pinch me seasons - but we're a pretty crap 3rd division side, who in reality, with all the things going on at the club, should actually consider it a decent achievement to have avoided the drop.