No point putting our kids on earlier, the 1st team needed more playing time and anyhow City's "best" were subbed in the 2nd 1/2 so the kids would have just been playing against City's kids.

Agree.

Far better IMO (and it appears PD's too) to have got as many minutes as possibe out of the the best X1 - and give the fringe a little run-out at the end.

For them - Prem stars out of the equation, I thought Shay Facey looked good at RB, and Adam Drury & Rusiak looked very good when they came on. And, whisper it, Harry Bunn looks very lively in his cameo; running the channels and chasing balls over the top. I can't help thining we really didn't use him properly when he was with us on loan - i think there's a player there.

Cheeky loan enquires for Drury & Rusiak whilst we have a City delegation at our ground I'd say...

No point putting our kids on earlier, the 1st team needed more playing time and anyhow City's "best" were subbed in the 2nd 1/2 so the kids would have just been playing against City's kids.

That's OK - it still would have been good to test them against a team supposedly at a higher level.

We have a small squad, so everyone is going to have to play a significant part this season - giving everyone a chunk of game-time tonight would have given us an insight how well we could cope as a squad against a higher level squad. Making the changes with a couple of minutes to go just seemed pointless - as if we were wasting time to win the game, rather than give everyone match-practice, which is what pre-season friendlies should be about.

Not wanting to take away the positives from tonight, but I get the impression a "Plan B" might be an issue in games again this season.

That's OK - it still would have been good to test them against a team supposedly at a higher level.

We have a small squad, so everyone is going to have to play a significant part this season - giving everyone a chunk of game-time tonight would have given us an insight how well we could cope as a squad against a higher level squad. Making the changes with a couple of minutes to go just seemed pointless - as if we were wasting time to win the game, rather than give everyone match-practice, which is what pre-season friendlies should be about.

Not wanting to take away the positives from tonight, but I get the impression a "Plan B" might be an issue in games again this season.

I wouldn't painc on that front - we do have some reserve friendless still to play don't we?

So, the likes of Hughes, Winchester, Brown, Belezika, Smith, Mellor, Taylor can still go and get match action under their belts before the season starts. Plus - the whole squad was in Portugal, and played in the game Vs Hull, and the fringe got more minutes at Fleetwood than tonight.

I think tonight was spot on from PD - give our best X1 the plaing time ahead of Sheff Weds & MK Mongs - as its them who will be playing in those games

Many times reading posts on this site I think I've seen a different game to the poster, Might be to do with my eyes starting to go or the sharper tactical brain of other people, but tonight my view of our first goal was - City have ball for first 5 minutes and we don't get a kick, City defender on left makes awful pass which falls to trialist A who holds the ball, waits and slips it thru to Simpson who buries it. Here is the OS description

Latics established a half-time lead through a terrific goal from Robbie Simpson.

It followed a neat move involving James Wesolowski, Dean Furman, Youssouf M'Changama and Lee Croft who supplied the cross for Simpson to convert.

Please kind reader tell me - am I losing it?

Latics established a half-time lead through a terrific goal from Robbie Simpson.

It followed a neat move involving James Wesolowski, Dean Furman, Youssouf M'Changama and Lee Croft who supplied the cross for Simpson to convert.

Aye was gunna mentioned that but forgot to. Might of been a pass or two before it, but it was the trialist who got the assist for Simpson.

Good finish though.

Many times reading posts on this site I think I've seen a different game to the poster, Might be to do with my eyes starting to go or the sharper tactical brain of other people, but tonight my view of our first goal was - City have ball for first 5 minutes and we don't get a kick, City defender on left makes awful pass which falls to trialist A who holds the ball, waits and slips it thru to Simpson who buries it. Here is the OS description

thats how i saw it. Rui picked up on a loose ball, waited, slot in Simpson who cooly finished across Hart.....i dont remember there being a slick passing move? there were plenty of those, just none that led to a goal?

Edited by slystallone