Wonder if Latics know about this lad ?

From the Droylsden fans forum about their new signing Mike Phenix.

He was @ Bolton Academy for 6 years, he was top goalscorer in the country for 2 seasons on the bounce, but was released because of his height, at the time he was 5'5" @ 16 years of age... He then went playing for Atherton LR Under 18's and excelled then continued playing at Neighbour Club Hindsford open age...

He is now 6'2" in height.... and 22 years of age....

Last Season he was top Scorer for Hindsford from right midfield - as Hindsford won the Manchester Prem by a record 14 points....

He was asked to trial at Notts County - So has had a full pre season with them for the past month - Keith Curle gave him a great reference but couldn't sign him because of commitments to other players contracts, offered him a chance in the reserves to build his experience, but this wasn't feasible because of the travelling and distance from Manchester.

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=86975

I will check him out on Saturday and let you know how he shapes.

Edited by BP1960

How far down the pyramid is the Manchester Prem?

Edited by Dave_Og, Today, 07:04 PM.

In my experience players can come from anywhere if they are good enough.

I remember a couple still playing for local Sunday League teams when over 21 years of age, and who went on to play in the Championship -

Tony Ellis and Tony Naylor, besides being exceptionally skillful both turned out to be prolific goal scorers.

On the other side of the coin I have seen players from the Premiership at a young age drop into amateur football and go no higher.

It's worth pointing out this lad was at Bolton Wanderers for 6 years so must have had something, it could be the fast growth in height affected his game (It happened with Chris Waddle at the same age - who strangely enough is exactly the same height as Phenix).

I won't judge him though until I see him.

Edited by BP1960

Stortford v Halifax. I think we (BS) have a decent team after last season's remarkable second half but replacing Dwight Gayle's goals (42 of them!) might be a problem

Should be a good game with plenty of goals, Halifax are without ace midfielder Gardner who badly injured his knee in a pre season friendly, watch out for the hold up play of centre forward Dale Johnson, he's not quick, but knows where the goal is.

Could be a real find but you have to think that if Notts County thought that much of him, they'd have been able to shuffle things around for a signing from that level.

Perhaps so, Latics seem to have the same decision problem with the lad from Herne Bay.

Edited by BP1960

Stortford v Halifax. I think we (BS) have a decent team after last season's remarkable second half but replacing Dwight Gayle's goals (42 of them!) might be a problem

Let me know how Halifax play, I live ten minutes walk from their ground so they're kind of my second team.

I will check him out on Saturday and let you know how he shapes.

Made a couple of strong surges into the penalty area, but generally was off the pace and often caught in possession.

Didn't look fit so maybe he will improve after a few games. On that performance I wouldn't recommend him.