LOTW - 24/5/07 - Ian Wood

Stevie_J

lotwwoodmz1.jpg

Welcome to the ninth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's the man who still holds Latics' league appearances record, having made 525 between 1966 and 1980, Ian Wood.

We're looking for you, our members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

An easy one, this. Stoke away in the FA Cup 78 or 79(?). We were two nil down at half time, and looking well beaten, when the match was abandoned due to a very heavy snowfall.

In the rearranged tie, the following Tuesday or Wednesday, Ian Wood scored a very rare goal, from about 40 yards out, in the opening minutes. For the rest of the match we were virtually camped out in our own penalty box as Stoke absolutely battered us. Somehow we held out for a famous 1-0 win.

A great experience.

Ian Wood another player who played in the first ever Latics game I attended.

He was one of the mainstays of Jimmy Frizzell's 70's team I grew up with.

Very solid reliable full back who very rarely seemed to ever miss a game and a great servant of the club.

He was part of the old Div 3 championship winning team in 1973/74 and then helped establish us in the old Div 2.

Very dependable player, not atall flambouyant or outgoing just a very quiet reliable right back.

Very solid tackler but didn't seem to pick up that many bookings so good was his timing in the tackle, plenty of defenders today could have learned a lot from watching him play.

I dont know anything of him or about him post Latics but have very fond memories of him in a Latics shirt during my early years watching the team.

Ian Wood and Maurice Whittle where our very loyal and long standing full back partnership for what seemed like most of the 70's.

A great servant of the club.

An easy one, this. Stoke away in the FA Cup 78 or 79(?). We were two nil down at half time, and looking well beaten, when the match was abandoned due to a very heavy snowfall.

In the rearranged tie, the following Tuesday or Wednesday, Ian Wood scored a very rare goal, from about 40 yards out, in the opening minutes. For the rest of the match we were virtually camped out in our own penalty box as Stoke absolutely battered us. Somehow we held out for a famous 1-0 win.

A great experience.

That was when we went on to duff Leicester and then had to play Spurs, Ossie and all, a couple of days later due to the fixture backlog, eeeeeee winters were real winters back then, you try telling that to the youth of today tho', it were all green fields around here too.

Back to that Stoke game. The first one even though abandoned at h/t was the main match on the Kick Off match (probably due to totally lack of action cos of the weather) with Gerald Sindstadt desperately trying to talk up coverage of 45 minutes of football, can't imagine them doing that now.

Only saw him in his last few seasons but was always a reliable solid defender and was sad when he was released. I do remember going to his testimonial where we beat Citeh 3-1 or 3-0 and dodgy Keith McRae in the Citeh goal let a soft goal through his legs, not because it was a testimonial but because he was a crap keeper. I tried to lord of over the many Citeh supporting kids at school but it didn't last long because they realised to non importance of the fixture and in typical skyblue fashion resorted in threats of violence if I didn't shut it :(

ian woody wood ,latics best defender ever , i used to live 5mins from his house in bury ,so sometimes he took me to bp and home too along with the late great david holt(r.i.p) i was at the stoke game that was abandoned 2-0 down at half time and the snow never stopped falling ,took 5hours to get home ,and the reply was great with that wonder goal by woody and then us beating Leicester at home 2-0 i think with alan young scoring a great goal ,only to get beaten by a steve perryman goal at home to spurs 5th rd ,woody went on to play for radcliff boro along with holty so i used to go along to watch them play ,woody also had a boutique shop in radcliff while he was at latics ,i think one of this sons had a trail at latics but never made the grade ..woody one of latics all time legends

Ian Wood was signed by Gordon Hurst, who had played for Charlton Athletic, before retiring from football. He worked for Oldham Council in the Treasurer's Department (I played with him for NALGO) before being appointed Latics' manager.

I believe Ian Wood's total of 525 league games over 14 years' service is still the Club's appearance record. In the 1967-68 season he wore seven different numbered shirts, and in the last game of the season he wore the No. 10 shirt and scored a hat-trick in the 3-5 home defeat by Bristol Rovers.