Re-visited the OS for the 1st time in weeks today and seen this - and TBH I find this bit really strange:

Carl Winchester and Kirk Millar, both named in Northern Ireland's under-21 squad for Euro qualifiers against Macedonia and Denmark, are frontrunners for a midfield spot.

Squad: Cisak, Grounds, M'voto, Tarkowski, Croft, Simpson, Montano, Bouzanis, Smith, Byrne, Taylor, Millar, M'Changama, Hughes, Winchester, Belezika, Mellor.

So - we're missing Furman and Wes, but we have M'Changama; so we need 1 more to slot into the CM position - but there's no mention of Mellor as 'fighting' for the spot - the front runners are Winchester (I get that, he plays CM) and Millar (who is a RW is he not?). Mellor is down in the squad, but not listed in that bit on the article.

Now - out of all the young lads, I would say that Mellor has the best chance of forging a career in football; at this level or possibly higher. He ha a very assured touch on the ball, a sweet hit on his left foot (see the Scunthorpe and Blackpool pre-season goals as examples in the 1st team), he's a big lad - tall and stocky; as has shown he can handle the physical stuff….and even though most of games for us have been played out of position at LB, we're told his prefered position is CM. I've seen him play CM for the youths & reserves, and saw the games at LB for the 1st team - and I say he's a CM too.

So - why's he not in contention for the spot if he's in the squad?

Maybe its just as simple that as a young kid, he is not training well or with the right attitude.

a player who has performed OK in the past has showed potential but if he does not show the same in training every day then he shouldn't be in the squad

I don't know the answer but rumours where that Alessandra was not making the team for the same reason and he looked a real prospect at one point

Or maybe it's the OS writer who sees that Winchester and Millar have been on the bench more than Mellor this season and doesn't think it through enough to realise its Winchester and Mellor who are in contention for the place.

I just thought it strange he wasn't mentioned in that article.........I fully expected a 'kick-on' season from him (& Winchester) this season, with the full-time training and also a few 1st team games already in the locker.

I just thought it strange he wasn't mentioned in that article.........I fully expected a 'kick-on' season from him (& Winchester) this season, with the full-time training and also a few 1st team games already in the locker.

Same here. I'd expect both to develop and feature quite regularly though it could be that his injury has restricted his reserve team action, so Winchester in particular would be the stand-out choice for CM in that case.

That we've highlighted the two going off on international duty may also have been done pointedly to anyone questioning whether we needed to postpone the Doncaster match though, I accept this would be unlikely as no-one can find anything on the OS anyway.

Maybe its just as simple that as a young kid, he is not training well or with the right attitude.

a player who has performed OK in the past has showed potential but if he does not show the same in training every day then he shouldn't be in the squad

I don't know the answer but rumours where that Alessandra was not making the team for the same reason and he looked a real prospect at one point

Footballers can be like racehorses, some fly in training - but not on the big day, while others show little in training, but perform well when put to a real test.

Edited by BP1960

Footballers can be like racehorses, some fly in training - but not on the big day, while others show little in training, but perform well when put to a real test.

if at his age he is showing little in training then he obviously needs to show a little more!

if he is doing little in training why should he get a spot ahead of someone who might be flying?

when you get games under your belt then that approach may be ok but if you are relative new boy who has barley played any first team football, little is not enough IMO