Sound familiar? Bristol Stadium & Town Green.

It's all turned into a bit of a fiasco. Ashton Gate is a pain in the arse for parking and traffic congestion and I believe that the proposed new stadium would alleviate some of that problem. The NIMBY element has certainly put in more than its four pennorth and, as far as the local Council is concerned, let's just say that I'm very pleased to be living in the part of Bristol that is within South Gloucestershire Council jurisdiction. I honestly wonder of it will ever be resolved and City will be at Ashton Gate for the rest of time.

Edited by Bristolatic

Considering the amount of palaver Tesco had on opening a store on Gloucester Road (full of independent shops) I'm not that surprised that Bristol City have had problems with NIMBYs.

The new stadium was close to being used for a successful World Cup bid. I think if that bid had been successful the stadium might now be getting built.

The Tesco shindig was mainly down to certain factions, which I won't discuss on here, but there was certainly an unpleasant undercurrent involved. It was in Stokes Croft, which is not the most, shall we say, attractive part of Bristol.

Anyway. I was chatting to a colleague at work today who is a Bristol City ST holder. Apparently, the major decision maker is an independent adjudicator. The application has gone back to her again and Bristol City Council have agreed to abide by her decision. The NIMBYs have come up with such arguments as "We used to skate on there" and "It's where loads of kids play". The worrying aspect is that this independent person appears to have a track record of usually coming down on the side of the town green lobby.

According to my colleague, the area is desolate, overgrown with gas type odours seeping from the ground. Hardly what you would call green, open fields in their current state. There is a feeling amongst some that, had Bristol City not come up with the idea of moving there, it would have remained untouched until the end of time.

The club (and its main benefactor) realise that they need to expand to bring in more daily revenue. We've heard that somewhere before. Several times from several clubs. If they don't get the new ground, they will have to either not expand the corporate side at all or find a new venue for those events and then transport people back to the ground for drinkie poos or whatever afterwards.

The feeling amongst many fans is that it will never get off the ground.

I am 12000 miles away in Christchurch, New Zealand at the moment. What a difference here. Stadium unusable because of earthquake, The council have built a temporary 20000 seater stadium. It took them 2 months. It has everything including corporate boxes and TV studio. The two side stands are covered and there is even a lift to the corporate boxes. Behind one goal is a very small temporary stand which can be extended for big matches. It hosted a world cup qualifier on Tuesday and today hosted the semi-final of the provincial rugby premiership finals. I parked on the street nearby and my grandson and I paid £10 for both our seats. Even though it was a semi-final they still sold "Take a kid to Footy " tickets which cost less than a ticket for and adult on their own.