Should Furman walk back in the side

Furman..in or out  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Shoukd our skipper do a straight return to the starting line up?

• YES..Start the game
    • NO, Bench

Personally I was glad PD kept faith with the side that did well at Sheffield. I think it's important to reward players when they and the team do well. Makes every team member aware that when they get the shirt they have to try to keep it.

I thought he should of come on around 70minute mark for Simpson but his decision to leave him on the bench has benefited both Furman and the team.

I thought the opposite.. If he's fit, no doubt he's a starter but not the kind of player to come on and change the game. Think Dickov got it right that, injuries/sending off aside, once on the bench he was always gonna stay there today.

I'd start with Furman instead of Simpson at Carlisle.

I thought Simpson played quite well yesterday but I'd still start with Furman against Carlisle. Orient were there for the taking yesterday and we didn't miss Furman's defensive qualities, but against Carlisle away I think we might. We've got quite a hectic schedule over the next few weeks with 9 games between now and the Dec 1st (could be 10 if we need an FA cup replay) so I see plenty of opportunity for the likes of Simmo to get match time.

• 2 weeks later...

PD said in his LW interview today, furman and him had a long chat in the week and that Furman was a little shocked to have lost his place upon his return from International duties. Personally I think it's healthy that no one player walks back into a winning side regardless if it was winning prior to him being away. It only serves that current incumbents know that they have to work hard to keep their shirts.

I can't see anyone paying for Furman now. Two reason's, first being in January should South Africa do well he'll be away a long time and second the season will be nearly over upon his return and Latics wouldn't even come into the equation then.

Edited by Lags

unless he has a radical brainwave overnight and suddenly decides he wants to attack with the ball and make runs from midfield then he rightly is on the bench.

Simpson has been no worse than him in the middle and also offers that attacking/forward movement - even if he doesn't pass it forwards he runs forward with it creating gaps in itself.

Wes and Dean are both DM's that has to be obvious to us all; with Wes getting forward a little better of late.

Wes for me is the better player - Dean has had a poor season IMO Preston and Crewe aside and quite rightly was benched - i think the very fact he has been shocked to be on the bench tells it all about his mentality - he had evidently rested on his laurels knowing he was the gaffers pick 'because he's captain' - NO ONE is undroppable/deserves to automatically get in the team otherwise the whole squad may as well pack up and leave if that's the case.

Should he come in in place of Wes/Simmo and do really well and attack as well then maybe look to offer him a deal for next season.

For me though, if any suitors then get rid in Jan and use the funds to give Baxter a good deal with release fee if we aren't (ultra positive) in the top 6 and up in May - we could easily command £2m for him and i don't think that's unreasonable given the fees paid for many a one season wonder (Trotman £500k anyone?!) and extend Derbyshires loan til May (cup run would help).

Wes is the better of the two and for me we can cover Furman with Simmo Changy and Mellor when he's back - players as good as Furman are out there, not as big a loss as Wes IMO.