Remembrance Post

Wearing a poppy or not is a personal choice, if a person doesn't want to do it then it is fair enough in my book, if an Irish person with all the baggage that that entails doesn't want to wear one that is also fair enough. It is a delicate subject and I'd rather people properly support a cause than half assed just because their club tells them to do so. Tevez and Aguerro wore poppies yesterday, the symbol itself came from WW1 but it is also to commemorate the British soldiers from more recent conflicts such as the Falklands.

Wearing a poppy or not is a personal choice, if a person doesn't want to do it then it is fair enough in my book, if an Irish person with all the baggage that that entails doesn't want to wear one that is also fair enough. It is a delicate subject and I'd rather people properly support a cause than half assed just because their club tells them to do so. Tevez and Aguerro wore poppies yesterday, the symbol itself came from WW1 but it is also to commemorate the British soldiers from more recent conflicts such as the Falklands.

The Irish Army are the only ones who ever killed one of my family in combat, bastards...

I would love to find out more about my great grandad’s WW1, he seems to have signed up right from the off, won the Military Medal early doors and survived the whole thing, ending up as Company Sergeant Major. God knows what the odds on surviving the entire war in an infantry unit were or how many of his friends must have been killed around him.

leeslover -

it is possible to get full service records of ancestors quite easily, I have done.

Have a look at this :

http://www.veterans-...ce_records.html

And ancestry.co.uk have a free search option that ends today !

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/learn/military-records/default.aspx?gclid=CJ_Qt5LFybMCFczHtAodn1oANA&ef_id=WLhPu2vhOTUAAAaC%3a20121112133140%3as&o_xid=45295&o_lid=45295&o_sch=Search

Edited by LaticsPete