Carl Winchester

The OS seems to say that he played right wing so probably not done that much to get him a place on saturday and the way he played 1st half v Stevenage was terrible, im all for giving youth a chance but I really hope he doesnt play in midfield on saturday

Why not? He can't be as bad as what we have been given at the moment (Perfromance wise). He done his chances no harm putting in a good performance against a very talented England side.

What I mean is putting a good preformance in on the right hand side probably not done that much to earn him a place in centre midfield saturday, we will see but when you have a player like Smith who comes on and has effected the game a lot of late but is never really given a chance by Dickov although granted Derbyshire is a better player I dont see winchester getting a chance even with the suspensions

Is simpson likely to be in the squad Saturday

I thought he was made a scapegoat against Stevenage to be honest. For a young lad stepping in to a team with no confidence, he improved during the half despite being the first to be targeted by moans and groans from the Main Stand. He kept the ball, went in for a tackle, and was involved in the two or three passing moves going forward that generated our only chances in the 45min - the best was a lovely move that ended in Montano having a shot inside the box I think. It was hardly like Furman (dropping deep and passing sideways without enough pace) and M'Changama (drifted out of possession off the ball and arguably didn't press enough) were doing a sterling job either. It was harsh that he was sacrificed at the break. When we went 4-4-2 second half, we had a few corners and got the ball into the box for a change to get the crowd off the team's back - but in fairness we looked more likely to concede again and didn't actually create any more clear-cut chances. And we didn't keep the ball as well after Winchester went off. We only got possession in the final ten minutes when Stevenage dropped back to hang on for a textbook 1-0 away win.

Just watched the lad put in an excelent composed performance for N Ireland U21s at Bloomfield Rd, done his chances of a starting place on Saturday no harm if PD was watching.

He is a decent player who (where have I heard this before?) needs gametime.

Simon Corney rates him (fact) and so do I.

Loan him out and he will come back a better player (ref Beckham, Caulker, Wilshere etc) (!!)

Edited by TheBigDog

for me hes another of the nearly but not good enough branch of young player latics bring through - Couple of bright performances then falls down to a level they never improve on.

Needs to add some strength and bite to his game has some ability on the ball and has time on his side i wouldnt mind seeing him going out on load to a league 2 side that should toughen him up

Never been given a run in the side/squad, and always the scapegoat during poor performances... Stevenage, Sheff Utd last year (Adeyemi and Reece Brown were also horrific in CM). Unsure why PD seems so keen to suppress talent like Carl Winchester.

The lad has the most natural skill at the club after baxter, he's exceptional on the ball and clearly just hasn't been probably coached since he left Philliskirks set-up. We really need to make the most of his ability (like Mellor). He is a better option in CM than Simpson or Changy.

Problem Is throwing him in against a form side when he s played so little football , PD really should be keeping him in and around the squad, not just chucking him in the team in desperate times expecting him to boss midfield, poor management IMO . Has shown some good signs, he ran the show at home to Rochdale last season ( admittedly after they went to 10 men ), but will only get better with game time.

I'd rather see him play than this ridiculous (IMO) tactic of putting Simpson in there, he looks so uncomfortable, always makes me laugh when people want him to start there ahead of furman!

It's a shame cause I want Simpson to work in midfield. He adds much-needed height and can pass. He (should) naturally drift forward too, which at least gives some fluidity - as soon as a 4-4-2 gets static, you get over-run in central midfield imo. That's when we seem to just drift into sideways passing - the other team just press high up and use their full-backs to double up on our wingers - and then our frontmen get isolated, the ball drifts back to our defenders (unlikely to pick wonder passes) and we end up just hitting it long. The opposition just keeps pressing, the cycle repeats, and then they try to profit from a set-piece or a mistake.

We don't see training, however, so you have to presume the others aren't cutting it rather than it being a simple case of the undropables?

It's a shame cause I want Simpson to work in midfield. He adds much-needed height and can pass. He (should) naturally drift forward too, which at least gives some fluidity - as soon as a 4-4-2 gets static, you get over-run in central midfield imo. That's when we seem to just drift into sideways passing - the other team just press high up and use their full-backs to double up on our wingers - and then our frontmen get isolated, the ball drifts back to our defenders (unlikely to pick wonder passes) and we end up just hitting it long. The opposition just keeps pressing, the cycle repeats, and then they try to profit from a set-piece or a mistake.

We don't see training, however, so you have to presume the others aren't cutting it rather than it being a simple case of the undropables?

Problem with Simspon is that he always wants to take 3 touches to shield the ball, move, then get his head up. It takes too long in the middle of the park and then he gets closed down. Hes has some good attributes but none that really fit a position I actually think hes best place is on the right hand side of midfield. Even tho he lacks pace, he gives the keeper someone to kick to has decent control and work rate and isnt scared to put a tackle in but you wouldnt have hin in front of Croft 9 weeks out of 10... I dont know where he fits in at mo he can do a job in about 6 different positions.