Attic find...

In your ‘Old Oldham’ set on Flickr, I can tell you theunknown street in Oldham, circa 1980” is Westhulme Street, leading to Westwood Park, off the bottom of the picture, a route walked by thousands of Latics fans to and from BP over the years. In the 1950s, Oldham Corporation 'football special' buses used to queue in this Street, waiting to take the fans home.The drivers and conductors attended the match and left at three quarter time to return to the buses.

I lived on Stansfield Street, just off Featherstall Road North at the top of the picture.

Great memories. Happy days!

8255921569_c397653f8b.jpg

I thought it was Westhulme Street as well, but on second look I don't think it is. If you look at the mill on Street View the detailing such as stonework and heads & cills, whilst very similar, are different to that in the picture. The mill in the picture also looks significantly longer.

I thought it was Westhulme Street as well, but on second look I don't think it is. If you look at the mill on Street View the detailing such as stonework and heads & cills, whilst very similar, are different to that in the picture. The mill in the picture also looks significantly longer.

I thought the left side of the street pictured was the same as Westhulme Street in this pic.

http://t1.gstatic.co...YdhuFoAfO_FZi2w

but I agree with you and accept I was incorrect.

It's definitely Watts street in Chadderton, looking South East, Check it out on google maps street view. The mill was knocked down some time in the 80's due to fire.

The terrace house (gable end) telegraph pole and the "modern" street lights all match as well as the flats in the background.

I remember taking some photos of it while it was on fire with the engines etc.

Sun Mill was, in its time one of the biggest mills in Oldham.

Edited by LeeAnt

Certainly Watts Street, you can line it up perfectly on google street.

Have no recollection of taking this photo even though I did and would never have located it in a million years on my own.

There are some more old Latics newspaper reports from the good years that I'll post but am blowed if I can find my Daily Mirror full back page (colour) of Ritchie turning to celebrate under the heading "From Rags To Ritchie" -after the littlewoods cup thrashing of Arsenal.

I love seeing old photos of this area from Broadway up Middleton road.

I grew up on Taylor street, which used to run all the way up between Hunt lane and Middleton road and although I have a good mental map of the area at the time pictures are a bonus.

As with a lot of towns, so many landmark buildings have been knocked down.

lol other than having 5 floors to Westhulme Streets 4 ........ ;-)

Anyone remember the Broadway Mill Fire....off Ashton Road, Dad has a film of it from 1960s.... The picture of Clegg Street looks very sad in most places would have been preserved. It is no less interesting how OMBC have wiped the landscape. Would be interesting to see a list of the most prized buildings in Oldham.

I would go with the Lyceum, The old bank at Mumps, Chaddy Town Hall, then struggling.....gargoyles on Henshaw Street? See a photo comp on horizon?

Werneth Fire Station was a cracking building. Demolished around 1978 at a guess?

I thought the left side of the street pictured was the same as Westhulme Street in this pic.

http://t1.gstatic.co...YdhuFoAfO_FZi2w

but I agree with you and accept I was incorrect.

I'm glad this board isn't full of Diego's, far too reasonable and polite. Aren't you supposed to exchange personal insults and then offer to meet up on Saturday before the game and knock each other out? :grin:

I'm glad this board isn't full of Diego's, far too reasonable and polite. Aren't you supposed to exchange personal insults and then offer to meet up on Saturday before the game and knock each other out? :grin:

Saturday? If you don't knock the other guy out inside 10 minutes of receiving the perceived slight then you are clearly a poofter.

Saturday? If you don't knock the other guy out inside 10 minutes of receiving the perceived slight then you are clearly a poofter.

I think Diego struggles to get from the top of his stairs to his front door inside 10 minutes these days. They'd have to slug it out on the 8th or 9th step :grin: .

Edited by Break The Silence