Relegation Battle Weekend

Just look at the table and Saturday reflects a real chance to cut the bottom 4 adrift from us even before xmas something that 6weeks back looked impossible!

Hartlepool entertain Pompey who in reality are actually on 11 pts as a 10point deduction.

Shrewsbury travel to Bury in what is a huge game for both sides and they have to take pts off on another in some respect

Scunthorpe entertain a Carlisle side in 19th position

19 Carlisle 22 -15 23

20 Shrewsbury 22 -5 22 21 Portsmouth 22 -6 21 22 Scunthorpe 22 -16 20 23 Bury 22 -13 19 24 Hartlepool 22 -25 9

If and yes its a big if Pools, Carlisle win & Shrews win which is a big ask for all 3 the bottom 4 are already cut adrift to a degree with some tough up and coming fixtures for all of them over xmas period. For that reason a winnable game at Yeovil is massive for us Saturday as with the money acheived in the cup run and what would be an 8pts cushion over 4th bottom side Pompey who should lose 10pts and a 9pts cushion and a considerable healthier goal difference over Scunny

If we dont get Derbyshire back and lose Baxter we need the gap before they do go and on positive note that extra gap might help pursuade Corney to give PD some extra funds for the window should we lose them.

Looking at the start of the season and having criticised Dickov at times I would say that we would have all taken this start of the season would we not?

Just look at the table and Saturday reflects a real chance to cut the bottom 4 adrift from us even before xmas something that 6weeks back looked impossible!

Hartlepool entertain Pompey who in reality are actually on 11 pts as a 10point deduction.

Shrewsbury travel to Bury in what is a huge game for both sides and they have to take pts off on another in some respect

Scunthorpe entertain a Carlisle side in 19th position

19 Carlisle 22 -15 23

20 Shrewsbury 22 -5 22 21 Portsmouth 22 -6 21 22 Scunthorpe 22 -16 20 23 Bury 22 -13 19 24 Hartlepool 22 -25 9

If and yes its a big if Pools, Carlisle win & Shrews win which is a big ask for all 3 the bottom 4 are already cut adrift to a degree with some tough up and coming fixtures for all of them over xmas period. For that reason a winnable game at Yeovil is massive for us Saturday as with the money acheived in the cup run and what would be an 8pts cushion over 4th bottom side Pompey who should lose 10pts and a 9pts cushion and a considerable healthier goal difference over Scunny

If we dont get Derbyshire back and lose Baxter we need the gap before they do go and on positive note that extra gap might help pursuade Corney to give PD some extra funds for the window should we lose them.

Looking at the start of the season and having criticised Dickov at times I would say that we would have all taken this start of the season would we not?

honestly? yes, but in the context of the season, categorically NO.

The way we have played in general with the quality of 14-15 players (recognised first teamers) we have managed to amass has been very very poor, as have the results.

Had our squad and first team been full of kids, absolutely 16th wouldn't be bad and we would have all pretty much accepted both the position and performances given the calibre of players available to PD.

However, as well as he has done again in getting established players to join us, with this comes a greater, and rightly so, expectation of performances, results and overall finish.

We have and are underacieving so far this year, in more ways than one.

I do not for one minute accept the 'we have not got a pot to piss in' rubbish - granted we haven't got the biggest budget but i'd wager we have by no means the worst (12-14th i'd guess).

Whilst Tranmere and Stevenage are in the top 6 with lower budgets and calibre of player than we have, then i'll say we're underacheiving.

Just shows you as Scunny did years back that you don't need players with loads of individual ability - have a manager who knows what he's doing and make a team committed, organised and score goals when needed and that's all you need.

Poor poor so far...............

Edited by shefflatic

Everyone, including myself, keeps on saying how good our squad is but is it? Do the results lie? Looking back I think we are only six points short of where we could be. Can't see us beating Donny and a draw at Yeovil would be a good result. The important games are Crewe and Scunthorpe.

Having lost Derbyshire I can understand why Dickov gave Smith and Simpsons starts in the reserve game but that has backfired with another abject performance. Why can't he play Dan Taylor the only other player we have who is in the goals.

Everyone, including myself, keeps on saying how good our squad is but is it? Do the results lie? Looking back I think we are only six points short of where we could be. Can't see us beating Donny and a draw at Yeovil would be a good result. The important games are Crewe and Scunthorpe.

Having lost Derbyshire I can understand why Dickov gave Smith and Simpsons starts in the reserve game but that has backfired with another abject performance. Why can't he play Dan Taylor the only other player we have who is in the goals.

The lad has never started a single league match, people can't seriously be suggesting he suddenly goes straight into the team as a starter?

Walsall and Colchester play each other as well, meaning that all 8 teams below us are playing against someone else in the bottom 8.

Win tomorrow and we could be comfortably away from the drop zone at the half way point in the season.

Statto Alert: With us playing Yeovil and Coventry playing Preston, it means that every team in the top half is playing a team in the top half, just as every team in the bottom half is playing a team in the bottom half.

Wonder if that's ever happened before in the English leagues?

Edited by the_mighty_bosh