Great Story on Talkshite Earlier

Mick Quinn talking about his worst ever New Year's Eve.

"Mid-80s at Oldham, we had a game at noon on NYD, so Joe Royle had us training in the morning of NYE and then had us checking into a hotel to ensure he could keep on eye on us. So after supper we retired and had to be in our OWN rooms for 8pm to relax. So come 9.30-10pm, me, Darron McDonough, Mark Ward and Andy Goram are all playing cards when there's a knock on the door - it's Joe…. Quick as a flash Wardy hides under the bed, Andy hides in the bathroom behind the shower curtain and Darron's in the wardrobe! I open the door, Joe marches in - straight into the bathroom, then he opens the wardrobe and checks under the bed. After a suitable telling off, all three mates scarper!"

It was a nightmare as Joe had forgot that other people were still allowed to celebrate NYE in style, and it was around the time 'Nelly The Elephant' was a popular song, you could hear the party from two floors below - whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Nelly the Elephant, packed her trunk…… come 2am we had, had zero sleep.our beds were vibrating with the noise!"

"Day after we played Wimbledon and it was the worst 0-0 you have ever seen!!!!!!"

Quality Story!

Edited by oafcprozac

"Mid-80s at Oldham, we had a game at noon on NYD, so Joe Royle had us training in the morning of NYE and then had us checking into a hotel to ensure he could keep on eye on us. So after supper we retired and had to be in our OWN rooms for 8pm to relax. So come 9.30-10pm, me, Darron McDonough, Mark Ward and Andy Goram are all playing cards when there's a knock on the door - it's Joe…. Quick as a flash Wardy hides under the bed, Andy hides in the bathroom behind the shower curtain and Darron's in the wardrobe! I open the door, Joe marches in - straight into the bathroom, then he opens the wardrobe and checks under the bed. After a suitable telling off, all three mates scarper!"

It was a nightmare as Joe had forgot that other people were still allowed to celebrate NYE in style, and it was around the time 'Nelly The Elephant' was a popular song, you could hear the party from two floors below - whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Nelly the Elephant, packed her trunk…… come 2am we had, had zero sleep.our beds were vibrating with the noise!"

"Day after we played Wimbledon and it was the worst 0-0 you have ever seen!!!!!!"

Quality Story!

Except Wimbledon beat us 1-0 at BP

Quality Story!

Good one...It was likely the Wimbledon team celebrating the new year at 2am in the hotel bar.

There was an interview with him in FourFourTwo a couple of months ago, where he talked about JR keeping them late for training one day cos he knew they were going to Haydock races afterwards, and in the rush to leave the training ground he managed to take the door off his car, and ended up bombing along the M62 with Andy Goram holding the door on. "And our :censored:ing horse lost."

There was an interview with him in FourFourTwo a couple of months ago, where he talked about JR keeping them late for training one day cos he knew they were going to Haydock races afterwards, and in the rush to leave the training ground he managed to take the door off his car, and ended up bombing along the M62 with Andy Goram holding the door on. "And our :censored:ing horse lost."

I read that... He was also asked who the best manager he'd worked with in his career was and named Big Joe. High praise to say he'd been under Keegan amongst others.