Oldham's badge is The Awoken Owl. The Awoken Owl was known all around the Oldham area for being a very light sleeper and ill-tempered when roused from slumber during the day. Wordsworth, who often wandered these parts, probably makes reference to this owl in verse 42 of his poem Address To A Knot of Limestone Pavement near Todmorden:

By turn and turn, to Oldham woods / Through frozen boughs, by moonlight dazzled / Here aloft an owl surveyed / Abrupt in nature, offish, frazzled.

The main problem was that, this part of the country being very picturesque, those, like Wordsworth, who tended to outwardly exult in the natural beauty and the Infinite Grace behind its creation, would generally wake up the owl with their rapturous outbursts when he was attempting to get some sleep. Mothers would warn their children to be very quiet in these woods so as not to awaken the owl, as he could be very testy and no one wants to see the bed-head of an agitated owl close up. He is commemorated in Oldham's badge as a warning to other teams of the danger of awakening this sleeping giant of a club. So no one has.

From When Saturday Comes' weekly email: 'The Weekly Howl'

Linky

When I got back to the car on Saturday I realised in the elation of the celebrations coming out of the ground I had lost my Latics woolly hat somewhere between the City Ground and Meadow Lane. I'm going to need to purchase another one but my ambivalence towards the new badge is such that I'm wary. This thread has reminded me of my current troubled position, new hat or no hat?!

I'd be grateful for any assistance on one of life's great dilemmas.

I love Cameron Carter's surrealist stuff in WSC. He's a lot more complimentary about us than he was about MK:

MK Dons are both pleasing to the eye and successful, but then so was Ted Bundy for a long period in the 1970s. The clinical nature of the badge will not endear the club to those who might be considering giving them a break. This crest resembles the kind of trophy set aside for Most Sporting Reserve Player ("Always turns out, helps put the nets up") at a Sunday league team's end-of-season awards night.

The shape might suggest a stylised rendering of a wolf perhaps, but there haven't been wolves in Milton Keynes for years, certainly not since the review of the waste disposal procedure at Denbigh North Retail Park. Slipped in alongside the trophy or possible-wolf, the club's name reminds us of the awful compromise attempted by the owners to mollify the neutral fan, gaffa-taping the original club's nickname on to their initials.

Surely for a club that has stolen another club's identity, an image more likely to appease, such as a panda in Bermuda shorts, would have been the best way forward. If I ever kidnapped next door's boy – well why does he insist on leaning his scooter against my wall? – I would wear a nice calming green t-shirt with a rabbit on when I went round to present my ransom demand.

My take on the new badge is that it is a blatant advertisement for wealthy arab royalty to either invest heavily in us or come and take us over.

You have a fierce looking owl that could be mistaken for a hunting bird of prey that they seem to like in that part of the world.

Behind the fierce owl is obviously a pyramid, world famous in the middle east and behind the pyramid sand dunes which they also have plenty of - all to make our new arab investors feel at home.

Simples!!! (all we have to worry about is the potential conflict between our current jewish owners and the potential arab investors) :lol1:

• 2 weeks later...