Back to reality

Why did he play Matt Smith?

Because Matt has played rather well recently. Including winning the free kick that won us the Forest game.

It sounds harsh, but he's played well recently for the pretty low standard he's set himself. His reasonable form recently has included a ridiculous own goal and an even more ridiculous open goal miss. I think we're being generous with praising him for "winning" that free-kick against Forest - he was fouled. There was no craft on his part.

When we signed him, I wanted him to be brilliant, but the reality is we're going down if our goal-scoring hopes are resting on his shoulders.

I think we need a completely new striking partnership (with Jose playing just behind them) or at least give Smith a partner to run on to his flick ons.

If we'd had Donaldson ( a summer target of ours ) up top today I'm sure we'd have won that game as his touch, pace and finishing was top class. I cannot understand why we can't pay the extra £1000 a week required for a decent striker, one hundred extra home fans each week would cover the cost and if it meant we were top half instead of bottom 6 we would probably have an extra 1000 fans coming through the turnstyles!!

Perfectly put.

Ultimately, fans come to matches to see goals and wins. We do neither at home and that is part of the reason why we lose fans every week.

Overall, I think the team isn't that bad. We have 2 good CMs, Dickov sometimes uses them wrongly in my opinion but fundamentally we have a good midfield who are definitely mid table + quality.

We have a good back 4. Grounds has been good this season, M'Voto is normally solid but prone to mistakes, Byrne no nonsense and Brown who will be the long-term replacement has been very promising every time I've seen him play. The only reason I think that we've been conceding more recently is because the defenders have felt to strain of having to keep a clean sheet or else we'll lose due to the attack being unproductive.

The only place I think we're short in is strikers. If we were to pay an extra £1000 a week to a striker who could score us goals and propel us up the league then it would get fans back and cover the cost of his wages.

I don't mind Smith because he's decent at what he does but he's quite clearly used wrongly although that doesn't mean that he should be in the team, we need somebody who can score because we do have the framework for a good striker. I'm dismissing Taylor at the moment because from the looks of it Dickov doesn't want to play him

Based off matches v Preston, Crewe, Doncaster and Leyton Orient, where we had a top quality striker (Derbyshire), played the correct tactics in midfield (Wes and Furman alternating in their attacks) and Baxter meddling around the edge of the box between the defenders and midfielder, we have the structure and players to score goals when tactics are spot on.

Yesterday they had Clayton Donaldson and we had Matt Smith alone. That is the difference between a team languishing near the relegation zone and a team pushing for automatic promotion.

Home League games

Goals scored

1 0 2 1 0 3 2 1 0 1 0 1 1 0

5 ---- 0 goals

6 ---- 1 goal

2 ---- 2 goals

3 ----- 1 goal

11 out of 14 , 1 goal or less.

Last 7 home games , 4 goals scored , never more than 1 .

Hardly going to pack the ground out with this rubbish.

Home League games

Goals scored

1 0 2 1 0 3 2 1 0 1 0 1 1 0

5 ---- 0 goals

6 ---- 1 goal

2 ---- 2 goals

1 ----- 3 goals

11 out of 14 , 1 goal or less.

Last 7 home games , 4 goals scored , never more than 1 .

Hardly going to pack the ground out with this rubbish.

Why did he play Matt Smith?......Because he has done well recently and fits into the team shape.

Why did he play the other 10?........In order to maintain the team shape.

Why is Kirk Millar getting game time ahead of David Mellor?....He fits into the team shape as cover for the wide men.

Why is Dan Taylor not given more chance to impress when Smith tires?...He doesn't fit into the team shape of one up front.

Why was Robbie Simpson so rigidly left wing yesterday?....He has to comply with the team shape.

Why have the full backs stopped overlapping?....Probably told to keep the team shape and not risk being caught too far forward.

Why, when we have strung more than four passes together on the halfway line, does the ball get passed back to the goalkeeper?....Possibly because the players have problems stringing 5 passes together, a loose pass could lose the team shape.

Why does Croft nearly always play 90 minutes?....To keep the preferred team shape as long as possible.

Why are our supporters too busy slagging Winchester off to appreciate that fact he got in to the box and had a shot? Unheard of from our midfield!....He is required to play the same team shape as those he replaced.

Why was there no tactical plan alongside the substitutions yesterday?....They don't fit into the team shape as well as those tiring.

Why is Reece Wabara so often out of camera shot when opponents score (see Scunny game)?....He's forgets the team shape..

Why doesn't Furman and Wesolowski work this season when it did last season?...They may have been have been instructed to keep the team shape after venturing too far forward last season.

Why, with Baxter and Derbyshire added to the squad for most of the season, are we in a relegation scrap?...They haven't come to terms with the team shape.

Before you all ask....yes, I believe the team shape might be behind all these problems.

Edited by BP1960