Back to reality

And Smith.... I know he's everyone's flavour of the month at the moment but he offered nothing today (my brother said first 10 minutes he was good but I arrived at 3.20)... Balls over the top are wasted to him, no pace, tries to take down when he should let it run...

To be fair, balls into him were poor.

And Smith.... I know he's everyone's flavour of the month at the moment but he offered nothing today (my brother said first 10 minutes he was good but I arrived at 3.20)... Balls over the top are wasted to him, no pace, tries to take down when he should let it run...

To be fair, balls into him were poor.

Unless we sign another striker to play alongside Smith before next week (with Baxter playing deep), I'd like to see Taylor take his place at Coventry.

On a bigger pitch Smith will be ineffective on his own, we need a player who runs the channels and Taylor can't be worse at that than Smith can he?

Their back two were slow.

Smith wasn't quick enough to outpace them, despite some promising through alls second half. I'd have had Taylor on much earlier.

How about put Taylor on from the first minute?

How can we ask a slow, clumsy 6"6 striker to play upfront on his own, especially when his primary threat is flick-ons and nobody is there to run onto them?

Why 1 or the other? We desperately need goals yet continue to play this 1 up front idea.

Bewilders me, it really does.

Edited by NewBlue

Smith won most things first half but no one picked up the flicks AGAIN! we cant play long ball and have his chief support 10 yards away if we are going to go route one it needs be 2 out and out forwards....

First half we were OK creating chances but Smith tires and thats it our attacking play hurried desperate and just down right poor.

We need reinforcements and fast... Croft what did he offer today? legs have gone....played in down the wing a few times but each time looked for the foul rather than trying to get a ball in or beat a man. hes got a good touch but he cant handle playing as an out and out winfer anymore

Edited by bluehobbit

The main problem today for me was we tried our hearts out and got dicked 2-0, Brentford never broke sweat and dicked us 2-0. I expect this to happen against the scousers not a fellow league one side.

If they had gone for our throats it could quite easily of been 4 or 5. It needed changing a lot earlier on but we carried on with Simpson on the wing who was truley awful. Not his fault he isn't a winger and should be competeing with Baxter for the attacking midfield slot but Dickov has this mentality that he has to play and fits him in where ever he can.

Also we have nothing up front. Smith is only on the pitch to win the headers and get the flick ons but its absolutely pointless flicking them on when no bugger is close to him. Apart from his ability to challenge in the air I'm afraid Smith just does not have enough about him and I doubt he would catch at any other of the 91 clubs at the pro level. It also doesn't help when your defence gives away easy goals week in week out.

I also get the feeling todays subs were a way of Dickov saying to Corney "look these youngsters arn't up to the challenge I need more addition's" as we were already well beaten and the changes he did make were baffling to say the least. Kirk Millar Playing the holding roll in centre mid is well up there with the worst subs I've ever seen.

Things need to change and quickly, Personally now Baxter is signed up there is no reason to keep Dickov and I'd get rid. Nice man but poor manager. But I do think he will be here whilst were still in the cup at least, and unfortunatly that has masked his failings in the league for over 2 years now. As much as I've loved the cup runs I think we would struggle to bounce back from relegation and we need to avoid that happening at all costs.

I too thought Brentford never got out of first gear , few of the other seven winning away teams have either.

I think if did somehow equalise(not a clue how this might happen) they would step it up and score again , a la Crewe .

Glad he has signed but .....Baxter can't do it on his own.

To be fair we played some decent stuff. Made more chances than them. They bullied us off the park though and made us look lightweight. I'd rather watch us any day of the week, at least trying to play some decent football than them hoofing their opponents off the pitch every Saturday. I really think that if we carry on with an addition or two we will be fine at the end of the season.

The main problem today for me was we tried our hearts out and got dicked 2-0, Brentford never broke sweat and dicked us 2-0. I expect this to happen against the scousers not a fellow league one side.

If they had gone for our throats it could quite easily of been 4 or 5. It needed changing a lot earlier on but we carried on with Simpson on the wing who was truley awful. Not his fault he isn't a winger and should be competeing with Baxter for the attacking midfield slot but Dickov has this mentality that he has to play and fits him in where ever he can.

Also we have nothing up front. Smith is only on the pitch to win the headers and get the flick ons but its absolutely pointless flicking them on when no bugger is close to him. Apart from his ability to challenge in the air I'm afraid Smith just does not have enough about him and I doubt he would catch at any other of the 91 clubs at the pro level. It also doesn't help when your defence gives away easy goals week in week out.

I also get the feeling todays subs were a way of Dickov saying to Corney "look these youngsters arn't up to the challenge I need more addition's" as we were already well beaten and the changes he did make were baffling to say the least. Kirk Millar Playing the holding roll in centre mid is well up there with the worst subs I've ever seen.

Things need to change and quickly, Personally now Baxter is signed up there is no reason to keep Dickov and I'd get rid. Nice man but poor manager. But I do think he will be here whilst were still in the cup at least, and unfortunatly that has masked his failings in the league for over 2 years now. As much as I've loved the cup runs I think we would struggle to bounce back from relegation and we need to avoid that happening at all costs.

This. Absolutely spot on.

We played for 90 minutes today like we usually play for the last 10 minutes of games when Smith comes on and we still never even remotely looked like scoring, I really don't understand why we continue to hoof the bloody thing up to Smith when we don't appear to try to get on to the end of his flicks and headers. There is absolutely nothing else to Smith's game and if he was 5'8" he would be nowhere near a football field as his touch and awarness is non-existant, he's actually quite deceptive as he's even slower than he looks....... I think I could give him a 10 yard start and I'm 57!!!

If we'd had Donaldson ( a summer target of ours ) up top today I'm sure we'd have won that game as his touch, pace and finishing was top class. I cannot understand why we can't pay the extra £1000 a week required for a decent striker, one hundred extra home fans each week would cover the cost and if it meant we were top half instead of bottom 6 we would probably have an extra 1000 fans coming through the turnstyles!!

We have now lost 8 home games this season which is an alarming statistic given the amont of games still to play and unless we can make one or two key signings in the window it will be a real battle for us just to stay in this division!

Baxter's contract was great news yesterday but while I would like to think it is our intent to build a side around him for next season I fear it will be more of an insurance that will enable us to get a decent fee for him when he leaves!

How about put Taylor on from the first minute?

How can we ask a slow, clumsy 6"6 striker to play upfront on his own, especially when his primary threat is flick-ons and nobody is there to run onto them?

Why 1 or the other? We desperately need goals yet continue to play this 1 up front idea.

Bewilders me, it really does.

This hits the nail on the head - why is Dickov persisting with a 'one up front' striker whose main contribution is to flick the ball on?????

There is no-one there to pick up the second ball fer chrissake!

If we cannot get Derbyshire back for the rest of the season then stick Taylor up front alongside Simpson with a proper winger playing wide left.

#tacticalshambles

Why did he play Matt Smith?

Because Matt has played rather well recently. Including winning the free kick that won us the Forest game.

Why did he play the other 10?

Because that lineup was magnificent for 7 magical minutes a week earlier.

Why did he go three at the back?

:censored: or bust.

------

Why is Kirk Millar getting game time ahead of David Mellor?

Why is Dan Taylor not given more chance to impress when Smith tires?

Why was Robbie Simpson so rigidly left wing yesterday?

Why have the full backs stopped overlapping?

Why, when we have strung more than four passes together on the halfway line, does the ball get passed back to the goalkeeper?

Why does Croft nearly always play 90 minutes?

Why are our supporters too busy slagging Winchester off to appreciate that fact he got in to the box and had a shot? Unheard of from our midfield!

Why was there no tactical plan alongside the substitutions yesterday?

Why is Reece Wabara so often out of camera shot when opponents score (see Scunny game)?

Why doesn't Furman and Wesolowski work this season when it did last season?

Why, with Baxter and Derbyshire added to the squad for most of the season, are we in a relegation scrap?

Edited by opinions4u

Smith played well last week I agree. He was always tries hard but if you define playing well as missing open goals e.g Crewe etc then I don't agree. Sorry he just looks like he's never going to score.

I don't disagree with you. But it wasn't a bad selection based on recent evidence, There were reasons to play him as well as reasons not to.

Well the that 10 included Furman. This lineup didn't.

Unavoidable.

Why did he play Matt Smith?

Because Matt has played rather well recently. Including winning the free kick that won us the Forest game.

Why did he play the other 10?

Because that lineup was magnificent for 7 magical minutes a week earlier.

Why did he go three at the back?

:censored: or bust.

------

Why is Kirk Millar getting game time ahead of David Mellor? He wanted to bring on a winger I suppose

Why is Dan Taylor not given more chance to impress when Smith tires? Baffling to me also.

Why was Robbie Simpson so rigidly left wing yesterday? Agree - strange tactical decision.

Why have the full backs stopped overlapping? Probably because we don't have a decent defensive midfielder on the park

Why, when we have strung more than four passes together on the halfway line, does the ball get passed back to the goalkeeper? No movement up front or no confidence...

Why does Croft nearly always play 90 minutes? Solid if unspectacular player - probably because there are worse than him on the pitch I'd say

Why are our supporters too busy slagging Winchester off to appreciate that fact he got in to the box and had a shot? Unheard of from our midfield! No-one near me slagged the guy off - however he simply bottled it when in the box and in general had a poor game - simply too lightweight for me

Why was there no tactical plan alongside the substitutions yesterday? Paul Dickov has a tactical plan which goes along the lines of either a) lump it forward to Matt Smith or b lump it forward

Why is Reece Wabara so often out of camera shot when opponents score (see Scunny game)? Don't agree with this

Why doesn't Furman and Wesolowski work this season when it did last season? Both have lost form methinks

Why, with Baxter and Derbyshire added to the squad for most of the season, are we in a relegation scrap? Not enough good team players around them

See answers in line - please let me know if you have any more questions, thanks. :grin:

Edited by TheBigDog

See answers in line - please let me know if you have any more questions, thanks. :grin:

Love it!

Especially: "Paul Dickov has a tactical plan which goes along the lines of either a) lump it forward to Matt Smith or b lump it forward".

Your responses justify numerous supplementary questions. But I can't be arsed. #offtotesco

Edited by opinions4u