Everton Cup Memories - Part 2 The FA Cup Epics + 1

Match 4

F A Cup Round 5 - February 17 1990

Oldham Athletic (0) 2 Everton (2) 2

Normally a plum tie against top-flight Everton, would be the talk of the town. This season was rather different, despite despatching Birmingham after a replay in the 3rd Round (back in days when we entered the FA Cup in the 3rd Round) and coming from behind to see off Brighton - the FA Cup was on something of a back-burner at Boundary Park. You see, just three days earlier Latics had destroyed West Ham 6-0 in the Littlewoods Cup Semi-Final First Leg at Boundary park and most of us barely had time to catch our breath before another epic cup clash. With Wembley all but secure, Latics fans suddenly felt greedy, they wanted two trips to Wembley - was it possible?

Whilst Everton were enjoying a better season under Colin Harvey, they were still off the Championship pace, and the FA Cup presented them with their last chance of success. Boundary Park was rocking, no matter what happened that day we were determined to have a party. Everton meant business from the off and although Latics tried the usual fast tempo start, - Joe Royle had began conservatively, wary of Colin Harvey's tactic of packing the midfield. By midway through the half Everton were 2-0 up - a crashing effort from Graeme Sharp and a tap in from Tony Cottee that in all reality was probably a penalty for a foul on Sharp anyway. Late in the half Ian Marshall had a goal wrongly disallowed and there was a clear handball on Everton's line that wasn't given by Kevin Sheedy from Neil Adams' effort.

The change within 15 minutes of the re-start was remarkable, Ian Marshall had been pushed up front with Ritchie and Palmer, Neil Adams was sacrificed for the pace of Paul Warhust as Latics went all out to get back into the game. Soon, they had their chance. Roger Palmer fell innocuously over Neville Southall's legs - PENALTY! Unbelievably the referee Tony Ward gave it, Andy Ritchie buried it - Game on! Straight from the kick off, Latics went for the jugular and within minutes a tremendous raking cross from Rick Holden was met majestically by Roger Palmer who buried his downward header past a despairing Southall. Everton knew they were in the fight of their lives and shut up shop, there were late chances for both sides but it finished 2-2 and left both sets of fans hungry for more.

Latics: Hallworth, Irwin, Barrett, Marshall, Barlow, Adams, Henry N, Milligan, Ritchie, Palmer, Holden R. Subs: Warhurst, Redfearn

img2384kj.jpg

img2381tt.jpg

Match 5

F A Cup Round 5 Replay - February 21 1990

Everton (0) 1 Oldham Athletic (0) 1 (AET)

The games were coming thick and fast, there was barely time to draw breath and each game seemed to bigger than the last. Everton had a clear game plan in the replay - simply stop us playing. It was a fractious, bitty game where Everton's strong arm tactics threatened to overwhelm Latics, however Royle's team could play but also look after themselves. Character's like Rick Holden, Paul Warhurst, Ian Marshall and the two battlers in midfield could dish it out too. Latics had to make an enforced change with Andy Ritchie succumbing to yet another strained muscle which blighted his first 8 year spell at the club. Neil Adams again started with Warhurst being drafted into the starting line-up to allow Ian Marshall to be unleashed.

Early in the second half Norman Whiteside was given his marching orders, Everton's strong-arm tactics had bitten them on the backside, in truth the game could have been abandoned given the number of assaults on Athletic players. realistically there could have been three or four red cards if you don't believe me or do not agree - read the report below it really was that bad! The match somehow got to it's normal conclusion at 0-0, extra-time came next. Latics finally broke the deadlock when ex-Evertonian Ian Marshall broke the deadlock to send the thousands of travelling Latics fans into delirium. Typically though tiredness played a part late on, Paul Warhurst failed to cut a ball out and Sharp similarly to Palmer four days earlier went over Hallworth's legs and the referee again awarded a spot-kick with five minutes of extra time to go. Kevin Sheedy buried the penalty and there was no more drama. Except there was! Back in those days there were no penalty shoot-outs, the tie was replayed with extra-time until conclusion, so if ten replays were needed then so be it! The venue for the second replay was decided by the toss of a coin. Latics Vice-Chairman David Brierley correctly called to send the Latics fans being kept behind into raptures! We would go again at Boundary Park...

Latics: Hallworth, Irwin, Barrett, Warhurst, Barlow, Adams, Milligan, Henry, Hiolden R, Marshall, Palmer Subs: Redfearn, McGarvey

img2382hm.jpg

img2377e.jpg

img2386h.jpg

Match 6

FA Cup Round 5 Second Replay Saturday March 10 1990

Oldham Athletic (1) 2 Everton (1) 1 AET

The second replay was due to be played on February 28, which meant the Second Leg of the Littlewoods Cup Semi-Final v West Ham had to be put back a week. Typically the Oldham weather put the best laid plans to ruin. High winds and a storm saw parts of Boundary Park damaged and the game called off. The next free date was Quarter Final day. The Club's first Wembley appearance had been assured after a 6-3 aggregate win was confirmed at Upton Park the previous Wednesday. There was little time to digest before the next instalment of a titanic tussle in the FA Cup. Royle brought in Neil Redfearn to try and counter the packed Everton midfield. Everton again started strongly at a packed Boundary Park, the celebratory mood was dampened a little when Tony Cottee chipped Everton into an early lead. However, a strong defensive performance helped Latics grow into the game and by the half hour, Latics were level, Neil McDonald's (yes him!) back-pass was eagerly seized upon by Roger Palmer whose what can best be described as a two footed lunge, beat Southall to the ball - just! (Likely to be disallowed nowadays) and the ball rolled gleefully into an empty net. We were level again! The war of attrition continued for the final hour, no more goals were forthcoming (although Everton did have two disallowed!). So - more Extra Time!

The tie that had eventually lasted for five and a half hours was finally settled two minutes into extra-time, McDonald brought down the rampaging Marshall, he dusted himself down and buried the spot-kick. Somehow Latics had drawn on their energy reserves to put anther top-flight side to the sword. Unbelievably they would despatch First Division Topping Aston Villa with relative ease just four days later at a rocking Boundary Park.

Latics: Hallworth, Irwin, Barrett, Warhurst, Barlow, Redfearn, , Milligan, Henry, Marshall, Palmer Subs: Warhurst, McGarvey

img2389rc.jpg

img2383qy.jpg

Match 7

FA Cup 3rd Round - Saturday January 5 2008

Everton (0) 0 Oldham Athletic (1) 1

Four days earlier, John Sheridan's men had pulled off an unlikely win at Elland Road against a Leeds team battling against their perceived 'injustice' of a 15 point penalty. The win at Leeds had seen the final appearances of midfield talisman Neil Kilkenny - who the next day actually signed for Leeds and Ryan Bertrand now of England and Chelsea fame - who returned to his parent club, before immediately being loaned back out, this time to Norwich. Added to this were suspensions for Chris Taylor and Neal Trotman, which means what was to follow was all the more remarkable. The team that had failed so badly the previous season in the Play Offs had been broken up but with little success. Home form was dire. The bright spark was a unprecedented away run which had seen consecutive wins at Tranmere, Bournemouth, Doncaster (FACR), Millwall, Southend and Leeds.

Over 5,000 fans made a booze fuelled trip to Goodison, more drinking time was available when kick off was delayed by 45 mins due to a Chip Shop fire causing traffic chaos around the area. The game finally began at 3.45pm and Everton meant business with a shot just wide from McFadden and another cleared off the line by Kelvin Lomax. Young Smalley looked a threat down the right, and after Craig Davies had missed his kick right in front of goal, Smalley's smart turn and shot drew a good save from Everton keeper Stefan Wessels. Jean-Paul Kalala was having the game of his life sat in front of the back four and after breaking up another home attack, played the ball into recalled left-back Kelvin Lomax who in turn slipped it into the path of Gary McDonald who let fly with a speculative 30 yarder, that caught out the hapless Wessells and smashed into the roof of the net! Latics led in first half injury-time!

The second half was by no means a procession, Everton had a couple of chances but Craig Davies and Lee Hughes worked tirelessly up front to keep hold of the ball. There was a last second chance for Yakubu and the faintest touch from Mark Crossley's finger tip saw his last gasp. The whistle went shortly after and 5,000 visiting supporters milked every second...

Latics: Crossley, Eardley, Stam, Hazell, Lomax, Allott, McDonald, Kalala, Smalley, Hughes, Davies

Subs: Thomson, Pogliacomi, Black, Alessandra, Wolfenden

img2380qq.jpg

Match 8

Zenith Data Systems Cup 2nd Round - October 1 1991

Everton 3 Oldham Athletic 2

Probably long forgotten, but Latics and Everton locked horns in this much maligned competition, early in their first season in the top flight. A crowd of 4,500 saw John Keeley make his competitive debut for Latics, who twice came from behind before succumbing to a late winner. Rick Holden and Mike MIlligan grabbed our goals. Sadly I have no record of Everton's goals that night, although i'm sure MIke Newell scored at least one.

Latics: Keeley, Fleming, Barlow, Kane, Henry, Milligan, Holden R, Ritchie, Sharp Subs: Bernard, Marshall

img2379bz.jpg

So what will Game 9 bring?

Whatever happens, let's enjoy the occasion get behind the lads and as the last round has proved - anything can happen given the right amount of luck at vital times.

Edited by oafcprozac

Prior to Match 5 I was talking to a steward behind the goal and he told me Ian Marshall was a "donkey". When we were kept in after the final whistle, I gathered a group of Latics fans together and introduced them to that steward, telling them what he had said. You can imagine the derision he suffered.

I had trouble starting the car from Stanley Park and it spluttered all the way home. I drove along the A50 from Stoke to Uttoxeter without any lights. Happy Days!

Match 8

Zenith Data Systems Cup 2nd Round - October 1 1991

Everton 3 Oldham Athletic 2

Probably long forgotten, but Latics and Everton locked horns in this much maligned competition, early in their first season in the top flight. A crowd of 4,500 saw John Keeley make his competitive debut for Latics, who twice came from behind before succumbing to a late winner. Rick Holden and Mike MIlligan grabbed our goals. Sadly I have no record of Everton's goals that night, although i'm sure MIke Newell scored at least one.

Latics: Keeley, Fleming, Barlow, Kane, Henry, Milligan, Holden R, Ritchie, Sharp Subs: Bernard, Marshall

Dave Watson, Newell, Cottee

http://evertonresults.com/oldham.htm

Good on you Ryan, I hope that in 23 years you can have similar memories to some of us 'oldies', I was 12/13 during the pinch me season, and I wouldn't swap any of those memories. I loved every minute, I enjoyed Everton in 2008 but the Liverpool game two weeks ago means every bit as much as those Halcyon Days of the late 80s early 90s, perhaps more given the state of the club these days...

Edited by oafcprozac

Good on you Ryan, I hope that in 23 years you can have similar memories to some of us 'oldies', I was 12/13 during the pinch me season, and I wouldn't swap any of those memories. I loved every minute, I enjoyed Everton in 2008 but the Liverpool game two weeks ago means every bit as much as those Halcyon Days of the late 80s early 90s, perhaps more given the state of the club these days...

Hear, Hear!

If I'm honest I wouldn't have it any other way, because once every blue moon when that amazing win does come along it's one of the best feelings ever. I may support a 'rubbish' (as United and City fans say ZzZzZzZz ) team but what enjoyment can you get out of sitting on a sofa watching your team (whom of which they live miles away from) win week in week out? There's no loyalty in top-flight football nowadays, I dislike a lot of Prem clubs for the sheer fact they ruin careers for players from the lower leagues, offer them a deal they can't turn down and only intend to use them in the reserves. For me the most depressing Latics game was in the 2007 play-offs (I'll say no more) :lipsrsealed2::OASISscarf:

I was brought up to be an Everton and it wasn't until the F.A Cup game in 1990, at the age of 9 that i even heard of Oldham Athletic. After the 2 draws i decided that Oldham was the team for me and i wanted them to win the second replay. Needless to say my dad wasn't happy about it but there was nothing he could do. I got my first taste of live football when my younger sister was born in Oldham Hospital on 11th April that year and we went to visit i spent all my time watching the Villa game from the Hospital window before going down and climbing the fence at the back of RRE to watch the end of the game. Ive never looked back since.

You are not exaggerating about their performance in the 1990 first replay.

In my opinion it was the most aggressive , disgraceful performance I have ever witnessed .....and they were the top flight side.

Sure they finished up without about 7 bookings and a sending off .

Latics fans erupted when we heard we had won the toss for 2nd replay.

We played the game on the Saturday as the other q/f's took place.

League leaders Villa were next for a whupping.

You are not exaggerating about their performance in the 1990 first replay.

In my opinion it was the most aggressive , disgraceful performance I have ever witnessed .....and they were the top flight side.

Sure they finished up without about 7 bookings and a sending off .

Latics fans erupted when we heard we had won the toss for 2nd replay.

We played the game on the Saturday as the other q/f's took place.

League leaders Villa were next for a whupping.

Toss for the 2nd replay was that to see who would host the game?