Corney on 'Shirtgate'

I'm not generally one for being over sentimental but the occasion called for that sort of gesture Smith made. How much is that shirt going to mean to the recipient, the shirt worn by Smith when he scored a last-kick equaliser against Everton in the FA Cup? The notice was odd (how did the paper's get a photo of it, inside the Latics changing room?) and I can't help thinking the whole thing's just a :censored: publicity stunt that Corney's now dragging out.

It wasn't on the inside of the changing room it was on the door on the outside.

It's one thing after another with our owner and the landlords they are forever playing down our earnings and playing up the losses. What sensible organisation looking for investment does it that way round?

Case in point SC moaning about the pies going off when we had 3 home games postponed in a row a few years ago.

Or how we can't afford any FA cup balls, so what did we use against Donny as they aren't exactly flush with cash?

I got the impression that Messers Chambers and Keegan were not that bothered about the food voucher as whilst it's nice to get something for free (or for doing your job) it wasn't taken for granted at our level. In the PL, which most of the media there on Saturday usually cover its a different story and they get a proper free lunch. But when clubs are paying over paid footballers millions a year thanks to multi-billion TV contract a few grand on free food for journalists is a drop in the ocean. Plus if your a journalist which club are you going to do a nice story on the one that gives you a decent free lunch or the one that gives you a Chocolate bar?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not generally one for being over sentimental but the occasion called for that sort of gesture Smith made. How much is that shirt going to mean to the recipient, the shirt worn by Smith when he scored a last-kick equaliser against Everton in the FA Cup? The notice was odd (how did the paper's get a photo of it, inside the Latics changing room?) and I can't help thinking the whole thing's just a :censored: publicity stunt that Corney's now dragging out.

The TV cameras picked it up, it was on the outside of the door. It has also appeared across the globe in various news stories before the question was posed to SC.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

If they're that hard-up, I'll personally buy a box of mars bars or double deckers, and have them delivered so they can then distribute them without making the whole club look cheap and amateurish.

With the recent cup run, the club has gained excellent publicity, but what's been the outcome? Humiliation on television regarding the lack of pie supply that was printed in the programme. A notice stuck on the dressing room door regarding the lack of shirts and again nationally broadcast, and printed in the papers. Then the goalscoring saviour being threatened with a fine. Now this. A double decker spree.

I appreciate that costs must be kept to a minumum, but it doesn't do the club any good whatsoever.

There is a difference between watching the pennies/minimising waste and cheap petty cost cutting that makes the club look tinpot.

And fully agree with Prozac re shirts, its not as if the club will be paying 40 quid a shirt,or even 20. They will be paying about 13 quid a shirt at an absolute max.

500 shirts at 13 quid each will cost the club £6500, a fraction of the cup money, and even if they didn't sell all of them if they played their cards right they would easily make that £6500 back and some more but its not just about the cost, I would say more importantly at this moment in time it is about the bigger picture, about getting as many Oldham shirts out there as possible and further raising the profile and awareness of the club, which the club has failed to see time and time again.

Corney is right to play the skint card otherwise other clubs will take the piss further down the line with wages on loan deals and transfer fees. Also at our level it makes it more appealing to investors, imagine what they could be with a little more cash on the pitch etc no such thing as bad publicity these days for us.

Corney is spot on, obviously Matt will not be fined or the shirt tracked down but its mega publicity which keeps us on the telly in fa cup and will also put us on for at least one of remaining league games, and puts our name in the news which sells and makes us money with a lot of the interviews, it also highlights the gulf between prem teams and the rest of us. Keep it up!!