Three different systems - Lee Johnson

As one of the honoured dozen who attended last week's meeting with the new manager, my thoughts keep coming back to one thing.

Time will tell if it's merely a soundbite. For me it sounded like a philosophy that will be integral to making Lee Johnson and, by association, Oldham Athletic, successful.

I sat quietly at the event, listening intently. He'd answered my pre-prepared questions within the first five minutes. His opening comments anticipating what I would have asked. he'd probably convinced me by that stage that those in charge had made a stunningly good decision to appoint this man as manager.

But mid-way through the session he touched on three different systems that would be used at all playing levels. Not just the first team, but reserves and youths too.

To many it's not rocket science. Johnson wants his teams to be able to switch play mid-game. He wants to be able to surprise opponents. He wants to be able deal with an injury crisis by throwing in the 18 year old from the youths and have that kid know exactly how the team he's suddenly landed in will play. Assisting the step up from boy to man. Beyond all, it's clear that he sees a playing system as so much more than chuck M'Voto up top, hoof it, hope.

While it may be text book speak where the theory is harder to deliver in practice, the notion impresses me.

The current England manager could do with reading some of Lee Johnson's interview preparation notes.

Edited by opinions4u

As one of the honoured dozen who attended last week's meeting with the new manager, my thoughts keep coming back to one thing.

Time will tell if it's merely a soundbite. For me it sounded like a philosophy that will be integral to making Lee Johnson and, by association, Oldham Athletic, successful.

I sat quietly at the event, listening intently. He'd answered my pre-prepared questions within the first five minutes. His opening comments anticipating what I would have asked. he'd probably convinced me by that stage that those in charge had made a stunningly good decision to appoint this man as manager.

But mid-way through the session he touched on three different systems that would be used at all playing levels. Not just the first team, but reserves and youths too.

To many it's not rocket science. Johnson wants his teams to be able to switch play mid-game. He wants to be able to surprise opponents. He wants to be able deal with an injury crisis by throwing in the 18 year old from the youths and have that kid know exactly how the team he's suddenly landed in will play. Assisting the step up from boy to man. Beyond all, it's clear that he sees a playing system as so much more than chuck M'Voto up top, hoof it, hope.

While it may be text book speak where the theory is harder to deliver in practice, the notion impresses me.

The current England manager could do with reading some of Lee Johnson's interview preparation notes.

standard football manager tactic

It is unfair to suggest Dickov only had one plan - he had two distinct ways of losing a game:

Plan A - score a goal and then sit back until the pressure mounts so much that the opposition score and should go on to win. Clearly Roy has seen this plan but didn't explain it properly.

Plan B - don't bother to score first but once behind throw M'voto up front so that they can easily score another and put the game beyond us.