Champagne / Whiskey and Revolver Moments 2012-13

Highs and lows  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Champagne Moment - Let's all have a disco

• Matt Smith first goal v. Liverpool - Jesus Christ we've scored!
    • Matt Smith second goal v. Liverpool - Jesus Christ we've scored AGAIN!
    • Wabara goal v. Liverpool - We CAN do this!
    • Baxter FK v. Nottingham Forest - Take that, that and THIS!
    • Simpson opener v. Forest - Why not have a pop, see what happens?
    • Matt Smith equaliser v. Everton - THUMP!
    • JYM winner v. Creepy Crawley - safety secured. Phew. Let's have champagne.
    • Gerrard hits the bar! - they're never gonna equalise now
    • Final whistle Liverpool - after six minutes of absolute agony
    • JYM's mazey 628-yard run v. Portsmouth, beating 17 players on the way
    • Baxter's hoof over the halfway line and out in the 95th minute v. Liverpool. No way back from there.
  2. 2. Whiskey and Revolver - and now the end is here / And so I face the final curtain

• Dickov sacking
    • Backroom staff sacking
    • Corney saying he's off if we're relegated when it was looking like a distinct possibility
    • Lee Johnson appointment - a 31-year-old and the shit we're in? Are you having a giraffe?
    • Baxter's brainless booking against PNE - without him for the next two games, we're fucked, no question
    • Preston's second goal as we search for the equaliser - so disappointing, so inevitable. Get me my gun.
    • Dickov stays! - any one of a succession of failures to sack or resign
    • Baxter's chipped penalty against Bournemouth - the shite we're in, you need to put your boot through it lad.
    • JYM's attempt on goal following his mazey 628-yard run v. Portsmouth, beating 17 players on the way
    • Baconbuttygate
    • The "reduced budget 2013-14" thread
    • Bury lock-out

You had to see those 7 minutes at Forest to believe it. For that little spell we were just totally unplayable, everything our players did came off. When we got that free kick there was absolutely no way Baxter wasn't going to bury it, you could see exactly where he was going to hit it. It was an utter joy to watch.

More than anything because of the way Forest had played the first half as if we were 11 blocks of wood. I thought it was a close run thing whether our players started crying or we did.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than anything because of the way Forest had played the first half as if we were 11 blocks of wood. I thought it was a close run thing whether our players started crying or we did.

Yeah, it was very reminiscent of the game at Sheff Utd last season - we were so :censored: first half, you almost wished it was cricket rules and we could declare because it felt like the only question was how many we'd concede in the second half and whether we could keep the scoreline vaguely respectable. Then a totally different team comes out for the second half and does that. It's games like that, that sum up what it means to support Latics and why we do it - you sit through hours upon hours of :censored:e in case you miss something like that. And i can remember telling my brother "you've got no idea what it feels like to be 3-1 up against 10 men, and still be a total bag of nerves because you know your team's more than capable of throwing that lead away."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s695j/Late_Kick_Off_London_and_the_South_East_2013_Episode_8/

Watch from about 4.45 onwards. I'm one of those people who absolutely revels in other people's football misfortune. When the whistle blows in the final, I'm watching the players slumping to their knees rather than the ones jumping for joy. This is almost unbelievable fare if you have the same tastes.

I still don't understand why Trotta tries to take the leather off the ball.

Many questions remain about Trotta. I love the effort BWP and a couple of the other Brentford lads make when the ball breaks. One thing stops them from running: the massive sense of grief and disaster heading their way.

Taking 700 down to London for a meaningless end of season match must be one of the champagne moments...

It was more of a Stella and Special Water moment for me. Was thinking about putting our goal down as a whiskey and revolver episode. A miskick here, a shinner there and it's in the back of the net. Millar almost too ashamed to celebrate. A goal's a goal though.