Champagne / Whiskey and Revolver Moments 2012-13

Highs and lows  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Champagne Moment - Let's all have a disco

• Matt Smith first goal v. Liverpool - Jesus Christ we've scored!
    • Matt Smith second goal v. Liverpool - Jesus Christ we've scored AGAIN!
    • Wabara goal v. Liverpool - We CAN do this!
    • Baxter FK v. Nottingham Forest - Take that, that and THIS!
    • Simpson opener v. Forest - Why not have a pop, see what happens?
    • Matt Smith equaliser v. Everton - THUMP!
    • JYM winner v. Creepy Crawley - safety secured. Phew. Let's have champagne.
    • Gerrard hits the bar! - they're never gonna equalise now
    • Final whistle Liverpool - after six minutes of absolute agony
    • JYM's mazey 628-yard run v. Portsmouth, beating 17 players on the way
    • Baxter's hoof over the halfway line and out in the 95th minute v. Liverpool. No way back from there.
  2. 2. Whiskey and Revolver - and now the end is here / And so I face the final curtain

• Dickov sacking
    • Backroom staff sacking
    • Corney saying he's off if we're relegated when it was looking like a distinct possibility
    • Lee Johnson appointment - a 31-year-old and the shit we're in? Are you having a giraffe?
    • Baxter's brainless booking against PNE - without him for the next two games, we're fucked, no question
    • Preston's second goal as we search for the equaliser - so disappointing, so inevitable. Get me my gun.
    • Dickov stays! - any one of a succession of failures to sack or resign
    • Baxter's chipped penalty against Bournemouth - the shite we're in, you need to put your boot through it lad.
    • JYM's attempt on goal following his mazey 628-yard run v. Portsmouth, beating 17 players on the way
    • Baconbuttygate
    • The "reduced budget 2013-14" thread
    • Bury lock-out

Liverpool at home. 95 and a half minutes played. Jose Baxter gets the ball on the halfway line and kicks it as far as he can. Goes out for a throw in with their left back.

That's when I thought ":censored:ing hell..... maybe, just maybe".

Done.

Plus I've added a catch-all "Baconbuttygate" option.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we drew, then lost.

This poll is all about the moment, not the long arc. We thought the chance had gone, and up pops the big man. Pick it out. All back to yours for a massive payday.

Besides, we would've won the replay if I'd have made it to Goodison, so anything that happened after the equaliser is technically the fault of Markoasis.

Cant beleive so many people put a draw against a perpetual premier league middler, over when we beat the most succesful English european team.

Champagne 'moment'. Plucky Oldham, haven't disgraced themselves against the Premier League big boys, no shame in losing to the odd goal, hold on, what the :censored:'s Bouzanis doing? YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yagetmeblud?

It's hard to split the Liverpool final whistle and the Everton equaliser. I think it's got to be Liverpool, because 1) We won and 2) I really, really, really dislike Liverpool, which made it even sweeter

Preston away was probably as low as I've felt as a Latics fan, I was absolutely convinced we were down after that.

Oh, and my favourite image of the season has to be this:

hi-res-161801869_crop_650x440.jpg?1361048255

Edited by JonesyOAFC

In a season of massive highs JYM's mazy run is my personal high point, it captured everything about Latics, the unlikely appearing so outlandish, then possible, then likely, then even more likely then ultimately ended in failure.

My biggest downer was the Carlisle home game, I really thought we were going down after that, no fight, no spirit, no bottle and no hope. How LJ turned it round after that I'd love to know.

So please add Carlisle at home to the revolver list.

Best moment of the season for me are the 7 minutes at Forest and then until the final whistle.

The atmosphere was incredible, we'd suffered a lot of disappointment up to then and after the 1st half shambles I didn't believe and then the 2nd half, the goals, the celebrations, the utter domination of a good top Championship team and the look on Forest fans and McLeish's face!

Being 3 goals up also gave us a bit of room aswell so it was a cruise until the final whistle unlike Liverpool and Everton.

This sums up the whole thing.

Edited by NewBlue

I never in a million years thought we would beat liverpool. Even at 3-1 up. I wasnt nervous when they made it 3-2. I knew they would equalise anyway, probably win it.

When gerrard hit the bar I shouted "Oh f**k we might do this" - thats when the nerves went into overdrive.

Him hitting the bar, Champagne moment? Call the doctor for me moment.

Edited by pukka

I never in a million years thought we would beat liverpool. Even at 3-1 up. I wasnt nervous when they made it 3-2. I knew they would equalise anyway, probably win it.

When gerrard hit the bar I shouted "Oh f**k we might do this" - thats when the nerves went into overdrive.

The moment I believed! Good call.

Best moment of the season for me are the 7 minutes at Forest and then until the final whistle.

The atmosphere was incredible, we'd suffered a lot of disappointment up to then and after the 1st half shambles I didn't believe and then the 2nd half, the goals, the celebrations, the utter domination of a good top Championship team and the look on Forest fans and McLeish's face!

Being 3 goals up also gave us a bit of room aswell so it was a cruise until the final whistle unlike Liverpool and Everton.

I could watch that video all week. Just sent it to the FB of my Forest mate's wife, as I know he reads her page

Best Matty Smith equaliser against Everton the atmosphere in the RRE that day was magic the celebrations after final whistle just want on and on for good twenty minutes

Worst second goal against Carlisle at home thought then we are down could not see goals in the team at all

KTF

i had the pleasure of sitting in the home end in that second half. best shout was ':censored:s sake mcleish, these are :censored:e and theyre making us look like county!' Can the option of 2000 Latics cheering the Forest goals on the big screen after full time be added?

personal favourite moment was smithy's everton equalizer. the whole place went mental and i've never celebrated a goal as much. on a whole though, the Liverpool game will take some beating for me.

Edited by oafc-latics

Dickovs sacking was my champagne moment! Was very worried that we might be stuck with him if we couldn't afford to sack him.

My WTF moment would be arriving to the ground, hearing Jose had signed a contract and hearing the length of it over the tannoy! Still amazes me! Think Corney hid something in Joses car and blackmailed him!

Baxters pen still makes me so angry...but without his goals we'd have been down so all is forgiven!

Smiths late header against Everton for sheer outright elation takes some beating.

I've never had a moment this season where I genuinely thought we were going down and it was time to get out the revolver Relegation was a threat to us on several occasions this season but its more to do with the fact that we shouldn't have been down there in the first place that was the annoying things as we under achieved in the league and over achieved in the FA Cup. I can't look at the sacking of Paul Dickov or his backroom staff as a good thing. It was perhaps a necessary evil but our problems didn't begin and end with the previous management regime, the playing squad as a collective group have to take some responsibility

Baxters penalty was very much a head in hands moment but even then I knew we could and probably would stay up.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Oh I hear you. Spent the last 10 minutes desperately trying to convince myself that a draw would be the best result for us (cos, y'know, then we'd get a money-spinning replay at Anfield, whereas if we won we might get a crap draw in the 5th round....). Personally, the champagne moment was remembering in the pub afterwards that my cousin had posted on my BookFace timeline after the draw saying "It'll probably be our easiest game of the season". Out of the options relevant to anyone else, the anticipation when we got the free-kick at Forest, and being absolutely certain that Baxter was going to put us 3-1 up, and for once in our miserable lives not being disappointed...that was nice.

Favourite image of the season? There's an idea that probably deserves its own thread.

Oh I hear you. Spent the last 10 minutes desperately trying to convince myself that a draw would be the best result for us (cos, y'know, then we'd get a money-spinning replay at Anfield, whereas if we won we might get a crap draw in the 5th round....). Personally, the champagne moment was remembering in the pub afterwards that my cousin had posted on my BookFace timeline after the draw saying "It'll probably be our easiest game of the season". Out of the options relevant to anyone else, the anticipation when we got the free-kick at Forest, and being absolutely certain that Baxter was going to put us 3-1 up, and for once in our miserable lives not being disappointed...that was nice.

Favourite image of the season? There's an idea that probably deserves its own thread.

That was kind of strange at Forest, never have I been so certain we were going to score, even when we get a penalty there is an element of doubt in my mind.

You had to see those 7 minutes at Forest to believe it. For that little spell we were just totally unplayable, everything our players did came off. When we got that free kick there was absolutely no way Baxter wasn't going to bury it, you could see exactly where he was going to hit it. It was an utter joy to watch.