England squad.

Nice to see Rickie Lambert in the squad.

I tend to go against the grain when people are demanding for untried strikers to get a call up (Grant Holt, Jay Bothroyd, Kevin Davies), but I have to agree with this one.

Lambert always stuck out like a sore thumb whenever heplayed against us and had a storming season last year for Southampton...

Why is there an international friendly played now just as the top divisions all start?

Why have england arranged one for a fixture filled with history that quite a few wont see as a friendly?

The FA bang on about fixtures not suiting the national side - then they arrange this.

I couldn't care less about the national side, but I know a lot do. If the national side want to be successful they need protecting, but whats good for the goose is good for the gander and playing this kind of game next week is stupid.

Imagine if a Rooney / Cole or Gerrard gets injured. Isn't it in extactly this friendly match that Dean Ashton ended his career? As Prozac points out, half will probably withdraw.

Obviously UEFA / FIFA organise these so playing the friendlies is probably an obligation. Playing a team like Scotland isn't. No reason the FA couldn't have picked a side like Hungary.....

oh sorry they are still paying for Wembley. It's all about money, money - the reason why the premier league don't care about the national side.

Edited by pukka

We have got massive qualifiers coming up in September & October. To go into those make or break games without a friendly would be madness in my opinion.

As for the choice of opposition, I would much prefer to see is playing a game which is going to be competitive. For all the abuse the FA get (and I give them plenty) I think they are actually very good at picking opposition for friendlies. It is rare that we play low ranked countries. This is different as it provides a game against a country that will play above themselves and hopefully provide a good atmosphere.

Never understand this obsession we have with 'building' a team and always looking to the future.

Step 1 - pick the lads who in form at that time, regardless of age/club.

Step 2 - Play a physical, high tempo game that we are good at and other countries can't live with.

Simple.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is there an international friendly played now just as the top divisions all start?

Why have england arranged one for a fixture filled with history that quite a few wont see as a friendly?

The FA bang on about fixtures not suiting the national side - then they arrange this.

I couldn't care less about the national side, but I know a lot do. If the national side want to be successful they need protecting, but whats good for the goose is good for the gander and playing this kind of game next week is stupid.

Imagine if a Rooney / Cole or Gerrard gets injured. Isn't it in extactly this friendly match that Dean Ashton ended his career? As Prozac points out, half will probably withdraw.

Obviously UEFA / FIFA organise these so playing the friendlies is probably an obligation. Playing a team like Scotland isn't. No reason the FA couldn't have picked a side like Hungary.....

oh sorry they are still paying for Wembley. It's all about money, money - the reason why the premier league don't care about the national side.

Sounds to me like you do care about the national side...

It all depends on what you mean by care. I've also bet on Cyprus vs Slovenia and Wales vs Serbia to be both be draws too. Do I now care about those games? yes - I care that I want them to be a draw.

Who said I'll be watching England anyway?! I didn't on Friday. The last England game I watched was vs Sweden and that was only because I was visiting someone who wanted it on.

Edited by pukka

Good to see Woy went for the win tonight. You could already tell what his plan was when he didn't call up a replacement striker for either Rooney, Sturridge or Welbeck & played Milner from the start.

Stupid that players like Young were called up & played, done nothing to deserve a call up. Townsend has been impressive in the last 9 months yet won't be played, Carrick has carried United's midfield for a couple of years and is one of the best in the holding role yet won't be played. Time for Woy to go by the end of the world cup if we qualify. Sooner if we don't...

Edited by RobOAFC