Mellor Why Didn't

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I think his best position is as part of a 3 man midfield, as at Sheffield United...

In Thursday's fans forum LJ said Mellor needs to pin down a position and that could be left back.

He also said Winchester can only play in a midfield trio.

I got the impression that a midfield three wasn't Johnson's preferred formation, so anybody who can only play in such a way will be a bit-part player or discarded.

In Thursday's fans forum LJ said Mellor needs to pin down a position and that could be left back.

He also said Winchester can only play in a midfield trio.

I got the impression that a midfield three wasn't Johnson's preferred formation, so anybody who can only play in such a way will be a bit-part player or discarded.

In a sense isn't Weslolowki, Harkins and Smith a midfield three O4U?

Edited by BP1960

In a sense isn't Weslolowki, Harkins and Smith a midfield three O4U?

We lined up in a 4-4-1-1 on Saturday BP.

I'm an advocate of a 4-2-3-1 formation as i think we now have the players to do that.

But we definately we're 3 in the centre on Saturday.

I know you're a fan of an attacking midfielder.

But surely even you in experience can see that Harkins played in the hole as the "1" behind the striker; and not in midfield?

I still think that if we played Wes & Smith; with a combo of 3 in front of them - 2 "inside forwards" if you will and an 'in the hole' withdrawn attacker; playing behind a solo striker - that would be the best utilisation of what we have available; and should play to our strengths.

The 3 ahead of Wes & Smith wiuld be a combo of Philliskirk, Harkins, Dayton, Petrasso (whilst he's still here; then if he comes back again) Worrall...and even Millar.

The "1" at the head of this would for me, be a fit Charlie Mac; with JCH off the bench if needed.

I think its the best bet right now.

But - we weren't 3 in the centre; definately not.

Harkins looks like an intelligent advanced midfielder to me who needs two strikers to prompt to be at his best, however LJ prefers to play one up front at home so I still see goals as being scarce.

LJ can't drop or Wesolowski or Smith which means Harkins is restricted under the present system to playing behind one striker, leaving out a wide man might expose a full back, although I think Mellor in particular could cope as a wing back - and this is where you might fit in the extra striker.

Because of the clubs league position I see LJ as reluctant to play 2 strikers and Harkins, preferring the safer option we saw on Saturday.

Edited by BP1960

you musnt sit in the main stand upper? he took one bad free kick the other week and a lad behind said "get him off, he's :censored:s, always will be" so my points not over exaggerated at all

Yeah ... but he's entitled to his opinion cause he pays his money! Comical all the same .. probably the same fella who REGULARLY screams to get players off even though they've gone on as subs and all 3 are on ...

Halfwitted eeejut!

Yeah ... but he's entitled to his opinion cause he pays his money! Comical all the same .. probably the same fella who REGULARLY screams to get players off even though they've gone on as subs and all 3 are on ...

Halfwitted eeejut!

I know who you mean, after Mellor started to play well he turned his attentions to JCH, he loves a scapegoat.

4-2-3-1 at home

As it is already away from home.

Harkins at the centre of the advanced '3' at home games

Job done

Easy this manager game isnt it?

Aslong as you encourage one of Wes or korey to get in the box when we get the ball wide or to get beyond the ball more often.

We did see that for the goal on Saturday and if they get in the box they will atleast commit the defenders which could open up space for one of the other forwards.