Mellor Why Didn't

One on one sterling didn't beat him once. There was occasions when he was outnumbered but what did you want him to do? Dive in and watch sterling drop the shoulder and run past him?

As for the amount of time you claim he had in the first half.... Well it obviously worked because we kept a clean sheet

Just what I thought, 1st half he stood him up and stopped the cross coming in.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Postman Matt

You're not my favourite poster in the world but, for once, I actually agree with you.

After Rooney, I thought he was the poorest player on the field and has been one of our consistently poor performers.

What Johnson sees in him, I'll never understand.

Shame as he had real potential once upon a time.

This all over.

Sorry but I didn't want to slag anyone off today because we did very well. However, thought Mellor was very poor and his game is the same week in, week out.

I have stated it many times before (and this top scorer :censored: doesn't wash) Rooney is Sunday league for me, he did :censored: all today, which again is the same game as usual.

Very proud of the team as a collective today, a couple of changes needed please.

This just shows how some people either have an agenda or just don't understand much about football.

Mellor was superb today, one of our top performers - if not the top.

Some of his passing during the spell we were on top were worldies, knife through butter stuff.

He was embraced by Lee Johnson as he came off and I expect was told that was his best performance since he took charge.

And it came playing out of his most familiar position against Premier League title contenders.

How people can have a go at any of our players given the opposition, let alone after that performance, is just unbelievable.

To single out one of our top performers on the day is quite frankly laughable.

Here's to opinions and all.....

But can we please stop having a lame Mellor-bating thread every other game please.

This just shows how some people either have an agenda or just don't understand much about football.

Some of his passing during the spell we were on top were worldies, knife through butter stuff.

He was embraced by Lee Johnson as he came off and I expect was told that was his best performance since he took charge.

And it came playing out of his most familiar position against Premier League title contenders.

How people can have a go at any of our players given the opposition, let alone after that performance, is just unbelievable.

But can we please stop having a lame Mellor-bating thread every other game please.

Okay, shall we all just agree with you in future?

Sorry that I have an opinion that differs from yours. Although mine has more substance than yours, because he has been less than average under several managers and in the next few years will probably end up playing non league.

As for Mellor being our "top performer"....I can only think that you must be related or something?

Tarky was absolutely superb today!....and if you don't agree with that, you most have an agenda....or you don't understand football?.....Or do we just differ on opinion?

Sorry, but your post lost all credibility when you suggested he was our best player.

You are fully entitled to your opinion, but don't insult people by labelling them bullies/deluded for having a contrasting opinion.

Who knows? It might be you that knows nothing about football.

Trying desperately not to stoop to your level, but I take it by your location that you don't get to many games? Why should your opinion be superior to mine?

Frankly laughable.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

It just shows how we can watch the same game but form different opinions.

Mellor was average, but that's comparing him to Liverpool who played well. He kept Sterling in his pocket for the first half, but got caught when he tired later on.

We played well, but the difference in class was there to see today!

Do wonder sometimes if some actually watched the same game.

Mellor had a good game.

League 1 side. If they were as good as some want them to be they wouldn't be playing for us. Stop expecting world beaters.

We put in a respectable performance that the club can be proud of against a superior team.

he's got a few man of the match votes on the MOTM thread for a reason... didn't do much wrong at all today, a bit more confidence in him and he'll come on leaps and bounds! lets get behind ever player that wears the blue shirt ey???

are we forgetting he's only 20 aswelll? kinell

Okay, shall we all just agree with you in future?

Sorry that I have an opinion that differs from yours. Although mine has more substance than yours, because he has been less than average under several managers and in the next few years will probably end up playing non league.

As for Mellor being our "top performer"....I can only think that you must be related or something?

Tarky was absolutely superb today!....and if you don't agree with that, you most have an agenda....or you don't understand football?.....Or do we just differ on opinion?

Sorry, but your post lost all credibility when you suggested he was our best player.

You are fully entitled to your opinion, but don't insult people by labelling them bullies/deluded for having a contrasting opinion.

Who knows? It might be you that knows nothing about football.

Trying desperately not to stoop to your level, but I take it by your location that you don't get to many games? Why should your opinion be superior to mine?

Frankly laughable.

Kin hell, I dared to challenge the manager last week and I got lambasted, but now when you disagree with someone you just "differ on opinion"

By reading owtb, twitter and the media I feel justified not attending the game yday, stabbings, "where were you at crawley, gillingham" et al, "sit down", "no you never come games", mellors :censored:, tarky must be leaving because he waved to his family, Rooney's crap (when asked to do defensive duties against a top 4 prem side), I heard one or two complain that they're fed up of Oldham not scoring, and we should have gone for it like Dickov did, (where we lost 5-1) cant believe rodgers came on to please his dad and the media...... yadayadayada zzzzz

The amount of time sterling had on right wing in 1st half was beyond me, the amount of times mellow was out of position was ridiculous, he isn't up the standard of football we play, league 2 player at best

I thought Sterling was the worst player on the pitch first half, our left side had the better of there right wing and thought it was a shame that we used the right hand side more than the left as with petrassos pace we could have countered a lot quicker than down the right with Rooney.

2nd half Sterling looked a little better but still didnt pull up trees, thought Mellor contained him well, and much prefer him playing the ball out from the back as he is one of our best passers of the ball.

Although I do remember Adam griffin keeping a dangerous Shaun Wright Philips quiet once, and hes never looked back.

Yes he played well but let's not forget both goals came down his side especially the first when sterling left him for dead which enabled the cross to come in ...

No blame for Mellor surely for the second?

He did him for the first but Petrasso had left Kelly to overlap and that distracted Mellor just enough IMO. Don't feel Mike gave anywhere near enough protection second half.

Excellent display from a lad who is benefiting from a run in the team (what Winch needs but wont get now) but he needs a set position IMO.

No blame for Mellor. He was up against a top player and did very well. He also has a lot of ground to cover when he takes corners. My thought after the game was that he could make left back his position but I suspect once again he will not be given the run of games he needs when Lockwood comes into the team (the right decision) and Grounds takes up duty at left back.

I'm not a fan of Mellors but i'll hold my hands up and give credit where it's due. I thought he had a really good game. The problem was that Petrasso wasn't helping him out. He had to defend against the winger, and full-back whilst making sure he wasn't dragged too far out so that he'd leave a big hole in the defence. Well done Mellor.

No blame for Mellor. He was up against a top player and did very well. He also has a lot of ground to cover when he takes corners. My thought after the game was that he could make left back his position but I suspect once again he will not be given the run of games he needs when Lockwood comes into the team (the right decision) and Grounds takes up duty at left back.

How can you base this? Im sure Lockwood was a left back in his earlier career, and to sacrifice Grounds at CB where he is outstanding would be a huge mistake. I would much rather give Mellor the nailed down LB spot at 20-21 YO with chance to develop ahead of a 32 year old ending his career.

Raheem Sterling given MOM by the majority of the rags today just saying.

For what its worth i thought Kusunga was our best player, and Moses being substituted at half time was compliment to that as well as Coutinho not really having an effect on the game.

Edited by Postman Matt

Raheem Sterling given MOM by the majority of the rags today just saying.

For what its worth i thought Kusunga was our best player, and Moses being substituted at half time was compliment to that as well as Coutinho not really having an effect on the game.

I think Kusunga is a fantastic defender. Distribution isn't great, but you need defenders to defend, first and foremost. A real find.