More cheapening of racism BS

Apparently approximating the skin tone of a celebrity/character that you wish to emulate for a fancy dress night is offensive to some people.

Absolutely frackin' ridiculous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26446213

Even more irritating, unlike the Sol Campbell nonsense, I can't find anyone in the media yet who is speaking out against this.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Apparently approximating the skin tone of a celebrity/character that you wish to emulate for a fancy dress night is offensive to some people.

Absolutely frackin' ridiculous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26446213

Even more irritating, unlike the Sol Campbell nonsense, I can't find anyone in the media yet who is speaking out against this.

Jesus :censored:ing christ.

This is foolish. Blacking up to portray a demeaning stereotype is bad, this isn't. Reminds me for being told off by someone in work for answering, "John Barnes," when a colleague asked me what football he looked like. Maybe I should have said Paul Scholes.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Why would people want to 'black up' though?

It isn't really funny is it?

White chicks is funny as :censored:.

In order to look as much like the person they are trying to emulate as practically possible.

Why wouldn't you want to "black up" if the person you are dressed as has dark skin?

The only way this kind of thing could be reasonably seen as controversial imho is if someone "blacks up" for Halloween or something, Then when they are asked who they have come as, they respond with "I have come as a black person".

Then and only then would I understand the "offense". But this incident is just garbage.

This is foolish. Blacking up to portray a demeaning stereotype is bad, this isn't. Reminds me for being told off by someone in work for answering, "John Barnes," when a colleague asked me what football he looked like. Maybe I should have said Paul Scholes.

No need to take the piss just because he's a fat bastard though.

Depends on the fancy dress....

Hi mate, nice habit, who you supposed to be?

Whoopi Goldberg

That's :censored: mate, you look nowt like her, she's black for a start

I know but blacking up would offend someone apparently so I just look like a tit dressed as a nun.....