Picture Quiz - Identify the Stadium/Band/Match

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the match pre the 1988-89 season, or post the 1987-88 season? Or neither? :unsure:

I can't remember the exact date. The Sheffield newspaper says it was 1988 and it was the biggest crowd at Bramall Lane that season. There are enough clues floating around on OWTB to have guessed the player's name without worrying about the date of the match.

Think Blades' legend, who was so respected by fans of other clubs that we all flocked to Bramall Lane to chip in to his testimonial fund. He had also played for dirty Leeds (don't metion K**** E******). He was no longer playing football but he was employed by Sheffield United.

I can't remember the exact date. The Sheffield newspaper says it was 1988 and it was the biggest crowd at Bramall Lane that season. There are enough clues floating around on OWTB to have guessed the player's name without worrying about the date of the match.

Think Blades' legend, who was so respected by fans of other clubs that we all flocked to Bramall Lane to chip in to his testimonial fund. He had also played for dirty Leeds (don't metion K**** E******). He was no longer playing football but he was employed by Sheffield United.

Tony bloody Currie. I made the mistake of thinking that he was a player in 1988 or thereabouts. Again, at least I haven't been wasting my time... :blink:

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Tony bloody Currie. I made the mistake of thinking that he was a player in 1988 or thereabouts. Again, at least I haven't been wasting my time... :blink:

Hoo - BLOOMIN' - ray!! At last we have the correct answer. I'm reluctant to say well done but I like your persistence. :applause1:

It was The Housemartins playing at Bramall Lane, Sheffield prior to the Tony Currie Testimonial match in 1988. The Sheffield United team which won promotion from the second division in 1971 played against a team of ex-players and celebrities. Paul Heaton of The Housemartins was a Blades’ fan - he played in the first half of this match, before the band left to go to a gig in Scotland. Black Lace also performed - as alluded to in a post by oafc_ok.

Tony Currie was an enigmatic, silky-skilled, brainy midfielder, who played for Sheffield United more than 300 times. He was described by the manager John Harris, who signed him from Watford, as 'the George Best of Sheffield' - George Best played in this testimonial match. The Blades recouped almost 10 times their initial outlay when, after being relegated, they sold him to a declining dirty Leeds United. From there Currie moved to QPR, and he captained them in the 1982 FA Cup Final.

Currie played 17 times for England, including a starring performance at Wembley against a Brazil team including Cerezo, Zico and Jairzhino. In those days England had plenty of flair players. In addition to Currie there were players like Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles and Frank Worthington, all of whom managers found difficult to fit into the England team.

At the time of his testimonial Currie was working for the Blades running the Football in the Community scheme, and his popularity in Sheffield was illustrated by the size of the crowd at this match, which was the Blades' biggest gate that season.