Why not introduce a discount card

What would be the incentive there then ?

Erm. It's like buying a season ticket in June, in terms of price per game, but for fewer games.

They definitely did do this for years. Last time I noticed was maybe 3/4 years ago, but I assumed we still do it. There was a list of prices after each home game played (edit: stuck up in the ticket office) - this is how much a season ticket to the end of the season would cost if bought now, pro-rated for however many games left.

I think the 'half season' ticket advertised at Christmas was just that - advertising and raising profile of something there all the time anyway, but at a gifty time of year.

Edited by maddog

I think membership schemes are supposed to be banned - be interested to know which clubs are running them and how they work.

The reasoning was that turn up on the day supporters from both sides should be charged the same price for the same standard of facilities. If one group has a membership system that allows a lower on the day purchase, then that is unfair. A season ticket is "paid in advance" and apparently is OK.

The DD option for STs is a good one, and one that I think the club should at, and any offer that allows people to get part ST or 10 match vouchers etc are a great idea but they would have to offer a rate that is no better (and probably slightly worse) than a full Season Ticket price. As a ST holder myself I wouldn't mind if any offer allowed the same price per game as my ST, but I understand that some will feel aggrieved.

Bar code readers won't work here. Tickets have to be bought in advance and it would mean queueing up for ages to get tickets to get into the ground. Rotherham and Chesterfield aren't too bad because the grounds are virtually in the town centre, and easy to get to during the week if people don't drive.

I didn't say stop taking cash although I admit that would be the ideal situation, as I said, at Peterborough there is still a bloke pushing a pedal. It is more a solution to the ten game season ticket books someone mentioned. It will also provide the club with a concrete way of dealing with lost season tickets as they can just deactivate the card.

Is having to buy a ticket really such a hardship if there are two ticket offices, one in the Main stand and one in the new stand? This is in place at an awful lot of clubs now.

I think membership schemes are supposed to be banned - be interested to know which clubs are running them and how they work.

The reasoning was that turn up on the day supporters from both sides should be charged the same price for the same standard of facilities. If one group has a membership system that allows a lower on the day purchase, then that is unfair. A season ticket is "paid in advance" and apparently is OK.

The DD option for STs is a good one, and one that I think the club should at, and any offer that allows people to get part ST or 10 match vouchers etc are a great idea but they would have to offer a rate that is no better (and probably slightly worse) than a full Season Ticket price. As a ST holder myself I wouldn't mind if any offer allowed the same price per game as my ST, but I understand that some will feel aggrieved.

A simple search on Google proves membership schemes at football clubs are very much alive and kicking (excuse the Halloween pun).

From what I can see, as long as the ticket is purchased in advance then there's no reason a membership system can't be introduced.

10 match tickets where you can pick or choose would be a good call. At least I've always believed it would be. Perhaps £150ish?

I'd definitely buy one of these. I have commitments at the start and the end of the football season which forces me to miss around 5 or 6 matches every season. Plus I miss a sprinkling more for varying other reasons. But I definitely get to at least 10-15 home matches, and sometimes more. So a flexible option which lets me commit money to the club but get a little bit of a financial reward would be really appealing for me.

If this thread proves anything it is that there are widely differing and valid reasons for not going to every game. In my humble opinion the most common one would be ‘can’t be arsed/uninterested in going to every game’. This is a perfectly legitimate and reasonable reason for not going to a football game. This category of fan would also be the least likely get into a debate on how to address it. My view is: it can only be addressed by a consistently successful product on the pitch and a welcoming, comfortable environment.

Fiddling and farting about, trying to address everyone’s particular situation is clutching at straws. A discount didn’t work categorising matches a couple of years ago and it won’t work now. The problem with a discounted match is that it is a discount for all non-season ticket holders. Again IMO, £5 discount would not create interest for a Crawley type match and a £10 discount would lose the club money. The half a season ST is a sound idea but not a 5 or 10 match ‘take your pick’. If we are still doing well at Christmas there will be no need for any deals.

If the club issued a January onwards book it would be superb value for the matches we have coming up next year.

Our £22 pound match ticket, for example, seems to be an industry average for L1. It works out at £9.73 per week for the year. An ST would reduce it by 7 free games to £7.77 (roughly).

I have broken it down into a weekly cost because the club is run on an annual basis, not a match by match basis. OUR, Football Club is open for business to the public for 23 match days per year + if they are lucky half a dozen Cup matches, which in most cases are poorly supported at a discount.

Ticket prices are where they are for a good reason. They are set to meet the anticipated budget and anticipated attendances for the coming season.

Is it not within the realms of possibility that Barry Owen’s clumsy plea for support was based on the fact the Club find themselves in a far better League position than they anticipated, achieved with a remarkably high standard of football. They may well be viewing the January window as an opportunity to keep players and buy/loan players and are desperate to drum up support. They will surely be disappointed with the largely poor crowds in relation to entertainment at BP and the fixtures up to January don’t hold out much hope for any real improvement.

I have previously said major improvement in attendances are unlikely before Christmas and I now include thinking discounts will not produce any meaningful increase in revenue AND THAT IS WHAT THE CLUB ARE SEEKING. Make no mistake!

Finally, I would not discount LJ, his coaching staff, this squad or any other squad he may have to assemble in January, giving it a right good go in the New Year.

Edited by mikeroyboy