Phone upgrade advice

maddog

iphone 5 is ready for upgrade. I really like iPhones - had for 5/6 years - but the 6 is extortionate and the battery life of iPhones really is total :censored:e.

Any up to date advice about upgrade please?

Has anyone had iPhones and liked them, then changed to a different make and liked that too?

May have already sorted yourself a new phone - but I have upgraded to the 6 and the wife has gone for 6 plus.

Impressions:

Battery life is significantly better. I only charge my 6 every other night now, whilst the same usage resulted in daily charges on a 5 (sometimes even having to top up in the evening).

Everything else is the usual...same but a bit better. Lighter, thinner, bigger better screen, better camera etc.

The new phones are all a much of a muchness I think - HTC v iPhone v Samsung etc etc. All very similar. For me the build and feel of the Apple plus the ease to upgrade and syncing with my Mac means I stayed with it.

Thanks! I'm tempted by the 6 just for ease of keeping all my stuff, but it's just so expensive!

That is the issue. Once you are tied into one "eco-system" (apparently the word for it) it becomes harder and harder to move to another.

I know a few people that have made the move from Android to iOS or vice versa and whilst its a bit of a pain you can do it (some apps are not available, some you have to buy again, things you can do on one system that you like are not as straight-forward etc).

I think it is a lot easier if you don't have lots of the "eco-system" stuff going on, and its just a phone. For example, if you have an iPhone and an iPad and a Mac in the household means that suddenly having your documents / photos / apps / music etc not available on every device is a hassle. Same if everything is on Google (or similar) on an Android / PC operating system.

For me, I would happily have an alternate phone or tablet, but I could never see myself going back to a PC from a Mac - and therefore I am pretty much accepting of the fact I'll stay with Apple for now due to the above.

The 5S Battery life seems quite palatable to me, though I do stick it on recharge once a day.

If you're not too bothered about upgrading, you could always get a cheaper tarrif for a bit until Iphone 6 comes down in price.

Also, in terms of prices, are you looking at your current provider only? If so, have a look what the cheapest price is elsewhere and haggle.

The 5S Battery life seems quite palatable to me, though I do stick it on recharge once a day.

If you're not too bothered about upgrading, you could always get a cheaper tarrif for a bit until Iphone 6 comes down in price.

Also, in terms of prices, are you looking at your current provider only? If so, have a look what the cheapest price is elsewhere and haggle.

I'd happily stick with what I have - iphone 5 - except the built in 'the phone is 2 years old just as your contract is about to expire, so you have to upgrade even if you don't want to' timebomb has gone off so it keeps switching itself off left right and centre and the battery is all over the place.

I've been with O2 forever (since it was BT Cellnet!) so would like to stick with them, keep the same number, etc. but shopping around and getting them to match it might do it. I just cannot justify the £58 a month they think an iPhone 6 is worth!

I've been with O2 forever (since it was BT Cellnet!) so would like to stick with them, keep the same number, etc. but shopping around and getting them to match it might do it. I just cannot justify the £58 a month they think an iPhone 6 is worth!

I'm sure you know but you can change network and keep the same number, you'll just have a temporary number in the few days whilst changeover is processed.

I'd happily stick with what I have - iphone 5 - except the built in 'the phone is 2 years old just as your contract is about to expire, so you have to upgrade even if you don't want to' timebomb has gone off so it keeps switching itself off left right and centre and the battery is all over the place.

If that is the case then perhaps it might be worth looking at what Apple Store would charge to "fix" (i.e. replace) it. I think that its around the £100-150 mark and for that you get a reconditioned phone as good as new and then take a SIM only deal from either O2 (or if you can go through the hassle of porting number - which is pretty straightforward) or Giff Gaff (in essence the O2 network). Probably reduce your monthly costs by half.

If you do decide to go for a new iPhone with O2 - worth checking the Refresh deals closely. What you actually "pay" for the phone (upfront cost and device plan) varies between the contracts - the best deal (if you can afford it) is generally pay the most you can upfront. I paid £209.99 for my 128gb 6 (but sold my 64gb iPhone 5 for £230 on Gumtree) and then pay £20 a month for the phone + £28 for the 20gb tarriff.

I am fortunate that one of my best mates works for O2 so I get a sizeable Friends & Family discount off the tarriff bringing the cost down considerably.

Apple Store are doing a 0% finance deal at the moment until Jan 15th and I think the Iphone is covered. Over two years thats £22.45 a month for Iphone 6. Just need to add on whatever deal you can get from O2 on a phoneless plan, should be well under £58.

Edit: 0% only available on up to 12 months.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I got an O2 upgrade recently (for my mother-in-law, actually) by going onto the Chat facility on their website and asking for a PAC code. To convince me to stay (not that she really intended on moving) they offered me a cost for new iPhone 5C and contract miles cheaper than the standard upgrade. I just kept turning down their offers for a while until I thought it was cheap enough.

I got an O2 upgrade recently (for my mother-in-law, actually) by going onto the Chat facility on their website and asking for a PAC code. To convince me to stay (not that she really intended on moving) they offered me a cost for new iPhone 5C and contract miles cheaper than the standard upgrade. I just kept turning down their offers for a while until I thought it was cheap enough.

I'm :censored:e at haggling. Might get hubby on the case. He's due the upgrade too so maybe the threat of losing 2 customers will swing it.

Apple Store are doing a 0% finance deal at the moment until Jan 15th and I think the Iphone is covered. Over two years thats £22.45 a month for Iphone 6. Just need to add on whatever deal you can get from O2 on a phoneless plan, should be well under £58.

Edit: 0% only available on up to 12 months.

I'm not a fan of finance tbh. I'd rather pay upfront.

If that is the case then perhaps it might be worth looking at what Apple Store would charge to "fix" (i.e. replace) it. I think that its around the £100-150 mark and for that you get a reconditioned phone as good as new and then take a SIM only deal from either O2 (or if you can go through the hassle of porting number - which is pretty straightforward) or Giff Gaff (in essence the O2 network). Probably reduce your monthly costs by half.

If you do decide to go for a new iPhone with O2 - worth checking the Refresh deals closely. What you actually "pay" for the phone (upfront cost and device plan) varies between the contracts - the best deal (if you can afford it) is generally pay the most you can upfront. I paid £209.99 for my 128gb 6 (but sold my 64gb iPhone 5 for £230 on Gumtree) and then pay £20 a month for the phone + £28 for the 20gb tarriff.

I am fortunate that one of my best mates works for O2 so I get a sizeable Friends & Family discount off the tarriff bringing the cost down considerably.

Hmm. Wangling a friends and family discount might be a good idea.

Ta everyone! Keep em coming please!

I'm reluctantly :censored:ing O2 off thanks to their quite frankly abysmal 3G and 4G data coverage in the local area. They just don't seem like they want to move with the times unlike EE who have brilliant data coverage.

As weird as it sounds, I value data coverage than actual phone coverage these days.

I'm reluctantly :censored:ing O2 off thanks to their quite frankly abysmal 3G and 4G data coverage in the local area. They just don't seem like they want to move with the times unlike EE who have brilliant data coverage.

As weird as it sounds, I value data coverage than actual phone coverage these days.

Yeah like OH I had :censored:ing rotten coverage from EE (admittedly in London) for 3G and have moved back to O2, ironically.

Go to Three then. My missus is with them and gets great data coverage but absolutely :censored:e phone coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you don't tend to get one without the other, but I know what you mean.

My use of my phone as a phone must be less than 5% of the total use of the device. Apps, email, music, TV, games etc etc are far more important it feels.

That is why I think I will upgrade to a 6 Plus - the bigger screen is a bit of a pain for holding to your head, but worth it for the rest of the use I think.