Prediction Champions League

I'm thinking of starting a new competition next year - frankly because the other ones lack life.

Anyone who's ever come in the top two of the Prediction League* will be eligible. I was thinking of modelling it on the UEFA Champions League format from the late '90s. Probably two groups of four, with the top two going through and playing semis and the showcase final in a foreign city.

Matches to be played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the autumn before a long break before the spring showdowns.

The prize will be substantially more than the Prediction League yields.

I'm looking for eight players but can't find all the tables of which Dave Collinge claims to have come top.

Obviously he's in, as is Ex_Pat, myself and Joe P. Anyone else prepared to stake a claim?

*Obviously the amateurs don't count. It's unashamedly elitist, if only to exclude the guessy types such as rudemedic from participation.

I'm thinking of starting a new competition next year - frankly because the other ones lack life.

Anyone who's ever come in the top two of the Prediction League* will be eligible. I was thinking of modelling it on the UEFA Champions League format from the late '90s. Probably two groups of four, with the top two going through and playing semis and the showcase final in a foreign city.

Matches to be played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the autumn before a long break before the spring showdowns.

The prize will be substantially more than the Prediction League yields.

I'm looking for eight players but can't find all the tables of which Dave Collinge claims to have come top.

Obviously he's in, as is Ex_Pat, myself and Joe P. Anyone else prepared to stake a claim?

*Obviously the amateurs don't count. It's unashamedly elitist, if only to exclude the guessy types such as rudemedic from participation.

Remember when Man United chose to play in the World thingamajig in Brazil, dropping out the FA Cup.

Just say, "I'm not eligible because I'm :censored:."

:censored: as in finishing in the top 4 last season, :censored: as in finishing runner up in the world cup prediction league, or just :censored: as in being banned for cheating.

How far back does the eligibility criteria stretch?

As far back as eight players ago.

:censored: as in finishing in the top 4 last season, :censored: as in finishing runner up in the world cup prediction league, or just :censored: as in being banned for cheating.

Top 4 meaning not top 1 or 2? Runner-up in the guess-fest of the world cup? You reckon that's not :censored:, but some of us have higher expectations - hence if you haven't come in the top 2 in the Prediction League, you're not eligible.

Perhaps you and rudemedic and Rosa should start a Prediction Fairs Cup in the absence of any real History or pedigree.

Nice idea, Mr24, but is it anything to do with the fact that you stand a greater chance of winning it yourself against 7 others as opposed to the much harder task of defeating 31 others (based on the number of participants last season) in the genuine and original Prediction League? Just a thought considering your debacle last season. :deal:

And isn't it about time you dropped the last part of your sig? For someone who wants to run a competition, you should be squeaky clean. :grin:

Nice idea, Mr24

Cheers.

Who's going to score it up? What will the points system be, or will you simply adopt the scoring system that you cast such aspersions on?

I can only see this ending badly.

I'll do the scoring. The system will be the same as all the participants are used to, but with no half-time scores.

It'll be two groups of four, playing each other home and away throughout the autumn, which will produce four teams to go head to head in semi-finals. Top of group A plays Runner-up in group B and vice versa. The final will be played at the end of the season, once all the league and cup bollocks are out of the way. It'll be a true showcase.

I've just been watching a programme about History and they didn't mention rudemedic even once. The No History :censored:er.

I'm watching what could loosely be termed a history programme on bbc4 and unless you,Mr 24,are in fact Johnny Logan, you've got no history either.