4 goals in ten minutes for reserves

I know they were just playing a bunch of school-kids, but a couple of them lads for Rochdale's academy during half-time at Spotland away were seriously talented.

Must teach them the right way really young. Dale's first-team captain captain is a 20 year-old academy product and the ginger lad, Camps, who played in their midfield, really impressed me too with some lovely passes and zeal.

They definitely do it right, and will continually reap the rewards. On the other hand, there's no question we've failed to put our lads into the first-team effectively for the last couple of years now. The lads that have earned pro contracts - Bove, Truelove, Sutherland, Gosset, Cooper - haven't had much of a chance. They might not be good enough - we don't know - but either way it's not ideal.

10 or more starts in the first team could be the making of some of these players and probably would have been for many who we've let go & who've drifted out if football.

If Corney could make it part of a managers remit to field two youth products at least 10 times each season it could serve us very well...

No manager would agree to it though.

Ok, Kelly might have done.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they were just playing a bunch of school-kids, but a couple of them lads for Rochdale's academy during half-time at Spotland away were seriously talented.

Must teach them the right way really young.

The u9/10/11s groups at Latics are of the same level & arguably better. Some of the football I've seen them play is superb for lads so young, both from a technical & football intelligence perspective. We get them from the same pool of local talent as Rochdale, Bury and obviously the bigger clubs and don't do too badly at all. Some kids will just like the feel of certain clubs more than another (whether that is a coach or the environment) and for every kid that prefers Dale or Bury over us, another will have an opposite view.

As for some not pushing through as we may like, only the first team manager can decide to give a young player a chance & show the required level of patience with him (sometimes ignoring those sat in the stand). Maybe, at that level, differing expectations and recent history of playing in League Two has made it easier to give the younger players game time.

Didn't we have a few of our better players missing yesterday due to injury?

Yep. Quite a few 1 year scholars playing as well as a couple of schoolkids. We didn't play as well as I've seen us against better opposition. I think playing at BP helped them more than it helped us but they'll learn from it. Also, the Chester coaches had done a lot of prep for this one (lots of studying DVDs of our recent games) and seemed to be treating it as their cup final. Their performance seemed to reflect this.

Yep. Quite a few 1 year scholars playing as well as a couple of schoolkids. We didn't play as well as I've seen us against better opposition. I think playing at BP helped them more than it helped us but they'll learn from it. Also, the Chester coaches had done a lot of prep for this one (lots of studying DVDs of our recent games) and seemed to be treating it as their cup final. Their performance seemed to reflect this.

I understand the Chester youth striker Oliver Nugent who I thought was exceptional has CP. I dont know how this would affect him in the professional game, but clearly he's very talented.

Edited by BP1960

And way, way more than there should be....

It's football not the NHS or local government...

I have nothing to back this up than the odd bit of andecdotal & stuff in my head but I'd have thought that those coaches with plans tend to get better results than those that just shovel the players out onto the pitch and hope that the team is up for it.

For me, the planning is being able to identify what needs to be worked on in training, knowing how best to defeat the opposition and being able to simply & succinctly tell that to the players so they have the best chance to make the right decisions during the game.

I have nothing to back this up than the odd bit of andecdotal & stuff in my head but I'd have thought that those coaches with plans tend to get better results than those that just shovel the players out onto the pitch and hope that the team is up for it.

Those aren't the only two options....

There's having a plan and there's overkill. Especially where kids are concerned.

In this instance overkill seems to be demanded of clubs by the footballing powers that be....