Eardley Vs Lomax

Microcuts

Eardley or Lomax  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to start at Right Back against Swansea?

• Neal Eardley
    • Kelvin Lomax
    • Someone New

Who do you think will be out starting Right Back Against Swansea.

Both players are young with a lot of potential, and the ability to get forward.

I thought that Eardley towards the end of the season struggled to cope with the pressure, and lost his composure in some games, I believe this was partly at fault for our slump towards the end of the season, we lost the controlled distribution from the back. If Sheridan can get Eardley back to the state of mind where he plays better football, then I believe he is our best option at Right Back.

However, Lomax has the additional attribute of Pace, he has a lot of it, and can be a great asset charging down the Right Wing and being able to get back quickly. He is capabl of playing football, and I believe would also fit in the side well, especially offering a little extra pace if Liddell is on the Right.

Of course Sheridan may bring in someone new, although I believe it's unlikely.

I do believe that Eardley should start against Swansea, but if he is not performing, and is holding the side back a little, I don't think we lose anything extra by putting Lomax into the side.

Your thoughts?

Guest sheridans_world

Eardley without a shadow of a doubt. Dont get me wrong i like Lomax, he think he has an awful lot of potential and i wish i could get him on the pitch put Eardley has something Lomax doesnt.... a full seasons experience.

Agreed, I was all for putting lomax in at the end of the season - and he had a stormer against Blackpool, but Eardley is number 1... and will continue to be - Lomax is a great option to keep him on his toes though...

First choice has to be Eardley.

It got be Eardley all day long think he will be a lot better than

last season, We have to remember that it was his first full season

in the 1st team.

we ned him to be doing well to keep up for are internation players this season!!!

not really much in it for me! Eardly is good, but Lomax has always been good when he has come in and had a stormer against blackpool! i would love to see him get a decent crack of the whip, but reckon it will be Eardly who gets the nod!

Nothing wrong in rotating them. One mistake that Shez made last season was not resting players when he could or dropping them and make them work to get their shirt back.

We couldn't do it in some positions but others, like right back we could.

I've gone for "someone new".

I rate Eardley and I like Lomax. I do however think we would benefit from having someone more experienced and mentally tough at Right Back. Look what Charlton did for the Team when he came in. The difference for me was seeing his experience and professionalism in making sure that when he wasn't going to win the ball, he did enough to ensure that he put the attacking player off. Eardley is prone to get caught out once or twice a game and that could cost us. He's young; will learn and will become a top player I have no doubt. I'd just rather he did that for us in years to come at a higher level. Meanwhile, exerience (particularly in defence) is what will get us out of this Division.

Ideal scenario would be for Eardley to be sold for £1m plus and we get in an excellent highly experienced right back. We get promoted and buy back the Neal for a cut-price. :wink:

I've gone for "someone new".

Ideal scenario would be for Eardley to be sold for £1m plus and we get in an excellent highly experienced right back. We get promoted and buy back the Neal for a cut-price. :wink:

said all along that if we can get £1m for eardley we should party all the way to the bank.... still absolutley of the opinion you need nothing more than your full backs to be "functional" in this division... if you have a saleable asset there you should cash in...

Experienced, not experienced, whatever.. you just need a solid defender who can distribute well.... In league 1 it is 100% the position which contributes the least to the team... very few brilliant wingers, most balls are lumped down the middle - and how many teams genuinely bring the ball out from the back?? Not many.... just a case of passing down the line,a nd getting your shape back...

said all along that if we can get £1m for eardley we should party all the way to the bank.... still absolutley of the opinion you need nothing more than your full backs to be "functional" in this division... if you have a saleable asset there you should cash in...

Experienced, not experienced, whatever.. you just need a solid defender who can distribute well.... In league 1 it is 100% the position which contributes the least to the team... very few brilliant wingers, most balls are lumped down the middle - and how many teams genuinely bring the ball out from the back?? Not many.... just a case of passing down the line,a nd getting your shape back...

For me though, he is ok against bread and butter teams. I'm not singling him out here as the performance of the whole defence was shocking but two games stand out for me. Northampton away and Blackpool (Playoff) home. There were other instances too where I think he was exposed.

At Sixfields, the forward aerial punt to our right back position caused problems all game. Ok so Eardley is not the biggest but he did nothing to even put off Andy Holt. Blackpool at BP showed he struggles against an out and out winger. Again it is those little "professional things". Getting a bit of the man to slow him down or being in the right place to stop the run at source.

As an attacking side who should be on the front foot for most of next season, it shouldn't matter too much. That said, his distribution and crossing aren't great. Give him a year or so and he will be top knotch. I'd love to see a seasoned pro at rightback for Latics next Season as I think it would add loads to the Team. It may also free Liddell to concentrate more on wing play as opposed to covering back.

For me though, he is ok against bread and butter teams. I'm not singling him out here as the performance of the whole defence was shocking but two games stand out for me. Northampton away and Blackpool (Playoff) home. There were other instances too were I think he was exposed.

Agreed, that northampton game got embarrassing, how many times can a simple ploy catch us out.... have to say it was made even worse by the utter ineptness of haining to read the situation, and support him, Haining not being there will support eardley next season!

Your other points support my call - why do you need your full backs to bomb forward when you have as good an attacking shape as we potentially have? You just need solid defenders who can read the game and distribute well... and can withstand a bit of pace, and the obvious aerial bombardments....

Imagining we signed Greer.... for me, this would be a stronger back 4...

LB: Stam

CB Gregan

CB: Greer

RB: Thompson

Bring on Lomax/eardley on if we need to chase the game - but let the attackers attack, and just be solid at the back....

know what your sayin bigfin, but stam and thompson both prefer and are better at centre half! i know they should play were they are picked and get on with it, but especially in thompson's case, he says that he can play anywhere but has been told he will prodominantly be used at centre half. this was a big factor in his choice to join us as its his favourite position!

Your other points support my call - why do you need your full backs to bomb forward when you have as good an attacking shape as we potentially have? You just need solid defenders who can read the game and distribute well... and can withstand a bit of pace, and the obvious aerial bombardments....

Imagining we signed Greer.... for me, this would be a stronger back 4...

LB: Stam

CB Gregan

CB: Greer

RB: Thompson

Bring on Lomax/eardley on if we need to chase the game - but let the attackers attack, and just be solid at the back....

Ooh! you are twisiting my argument now! My main point is that a more experienced right back than Eardley would be better defensively and stop us getting cut open as easily!

Anyway, I do like the look of that Back 4. From what the Trannies said, Thompson was better at RB than CB. I know what Shez has said but it would not surprise me to see Thompson move to the right at some stage.

Ooh! you are twisiting my argument now! My main point is that a more experienced right back than Eardley would be better defensively and stop us getting cut open as easily!.

I disagree with you there. Whilst it is important to have experience in your squad, not every player can be experienced and you need to find the right balance of experience and youth. Gregan and Thompson provide experience at the back, practically all of the midfield except Taylor, and Hughes up front provides experience. But if you have a young lad who is capable, but short of experience, he has to get it from somewhere. Sending him on loan to a lower league is pointless, as we have already established that Neal Eardley is good enough for League One - Put him in the team along side Liddell and Gregan is ideal.

I believe this may be one of the reasons Taylor plays on the Left. With Eardley/Lomax and Taylor on the same side the balance would be wrong, and whilst the players would be capable, their experience could become a serious weak point on the team, however, I believe providing the players around have the experience combined with ability, then Eardley's inexperience should be less of a problem.

Edited by Microcuts

I disagree with you there. Whilst it is important to have experience in your squad, not every player can be experienced and you need to find the right balance of experience and youth. Gregan and Thompson provide experience at the back, practically all of the midfield except Taylor and Hughes up fron provide experience. But if you have a yound lad who is capable, but short of experience, he has to get it from somewhere. Sending him on loan to a lower league is pointless, as we have already established that Neal Eardley is good enough for League One - Put him in the team along side Liddell and Gregan is ideal.

I believe this may be one of the reasons Taylor plays on the Left. With Eardley/Lomax and Taylor on the same side the balance would be wrong, and whilst the players would be capable, their experience could become a serious weak point on the team, however, I believe providing the players around have the experience combined with ability, then Eardley's inexperience should be less of a problem.

Won't disagree with any of that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eardley and think he can do a job. Occasionally though I see his inexperience and naivety and I cringe wishing we had another Charlton-esque player at Right Back. We are Division 3 though so we aren't going to get perfect players.

With the Porter news though, he'll do for me and I'll stop being greedy with other people's money! :)

I'd like to see them both play - Eardley at RB and Lomax at left back. Play Stam and Gregan at CB and make this Thompson and Greer work for their CB position.

Lomax and Eardley will only get better by playing and if they play alongside expierinced CB's they will improve.

PLAY THEM BOTH!

Go to agree with Cookie, I would like to see Eardley and Lomax in starting line up as both are young players with great potential and a bit of pace!

Give Lomax a try and if it doesn't work then bring someone in on loan, don't waste big wages on left back, sooner spend money on decent midfielder or striker if we still need them after this week's contract debarcles!

I cant remember the game but charlton was injured and lomax played (i thought he had a great game). however later on when charton was out edwards played instead, and we have released edwards so i cant really see us making lomax our first choice left back. shame though