Porter Demands

Guest oa exile

Porter Demands  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Porter Demands

• Pay his demands
    • Sling his hook

It's difficult to say how much of it is Porter and how much of it is his agent but in my opinion he is not the sort of player we should be looking to have at BP. He (or his agent, or both) is clearly only driven by money; I cant see how moving to the likes of Motherwell is a step up from playing for us, apart from the Old Firm games. It's all about increasing his wages and getting a hefty signing on fee, you could argue that you can't blame him for this, but he should be thinking a bit longer term. If he had stayed on with us and had another season like last year for goal scoring, he could well have found himself being snapped up by a Premier League club or at least be playing in The Championship with us :pray: or perhaps someone else.

As for Hughes I have absolutely no doubt that when we get him fit and up to speed (which I think will be well before Christmas) he will run riot at this level (he was a top scorer at championship level before his incarceration).

I wish I had your confidence. I dont think we will see anything remotely good from him before Christmas. He gets out late August and will need a pre-season, and then some. Its 3 years since he kicked a ball in anger, so he will need more than the usual 5 week pre season. That will take you into october, and I think he will need a good few months of reserveteam football before you can even consider him for the first team. And even then there is no guarantee that we will get him to anywhere near the level he was at before he went down. I think there is a very real chance that this 3 years will have ruined him and he will never be able to recapture his form. 3 years is a very long time in pro football.

If you have "absolutely no doubt" that he will be a good player than I really wish I had your optimism!

I agree that it will take him time, but you could also compare it to a player who has been out injured for a long while, Robbie Fowler for example (and the legal team ARE watching Mr Tulse Hill). Fowler can hardly have kicked a ball in anger for several years, at least Hughes is in good general shape. With luck the time he's had out will enable him to play on later than he otherwise would have done. I reckon we'll see him feature well before Christmas even if he's not 100% on top of his game, determination might carry him a long way to begin with.

Robbie Fowler played 23 games last season, 21 games the season before, 33 games the season before that (and so on). Hughes may be physically fit but he hasn't played professional competitive football in a long time. I think he could come good but even then I doubt we'll see him in form until well into the Christmas run-up.