Help Me OASIS

andy_b_100

Hi my friends

We have a trip planned for a long weekend in and around London and I need your help. The mire that is the travel system in London and the internet has me at a loss.

We (me the Mrs and our 7yo) are stayong in the premier inn in Watford (central) and we arrive on the 21st oct.... we have booked a west end show on that friday and need to get from the hotel to the Theartre Royal Drury lane in the evening. We also plan to go back into london for sight seeing etc on sunday 23rd ... I have access to a family and friends railcard but I would like to have unlimited travel on the Sunday.... I have looked at travelcard on TGL and they seem ok .... but they are not at all clear on whats included. Can you buy one for all 9 Zones ?? if so how and where.. please help

Cheers Andy

Hi my friends

We have a trip planned for a long weekend in and around London and I need your help. The mire that is the travel system in London and the internet has me at a loss.

We (me the Mrs and our 7yo) are stayong in the premier inn in Watford (central) and we arrive on the 21st oct.... we have booked a west end show on that friday and need to get from the hotel to the Theartre Royal Drury lane in the evening. We also plan to go back into london for sight seeing etc on sunday 23rd ... I have access to a family and friends railcard but I would like to have unlimited travel on the Sunday.... I have looked at travelcard on TGL and they seem ok .... but they are not at all clear on whats included. Can you buy one for all 9 Zones ?? if so how and where.. please help

Cheers Andy

....It's a good question that I'm not convinced I know the answer to. TFL introduced the Oyster Card system some years ago that most of us will buy season tickets, be that weekly, monthly or annually for to allow for quick and easy movement around all TFL's touchpoints.... I believe you can buy a visitors Oyster and use as Pay as you Go, which I think allows you to move freely and pay the lowest prices for.... see link....

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

Bit rusty on this, but if you're just looking for travel on one day (the Sunday), you might be better off just using contactless debit cards (assuming yours both are). You don't have to set them up in advance, and the price is capped regardless of the number of individual journeys you make that day.

Watford Junction is technically not in a fare zone, but they have a special rate for travelling south from there. If I've read the fare table below correctly, you can use your debit card from Watford Junction into London, and on the tube/bus/etc, and on a Sunday (as it's off-peak) it would be capped at £17.40 per person.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

You could get a paper ticket with travelcard or an Oyster with a one-day travelcard but honestly I think it's more hassle than it's worth. For an Oyster card you'd have to pay a deposit and then either load it up with pay as you go funds, or buy a one day travelcard.

Two caveats:

- I'd ask at the station to confirm I've got this right

- you must remember to 'swipe out' at the end of each journey or they won't know you've finished it

Edited by Crusoe

Thank all .... You would think they would make it easy and transparent but alas .... There are (I keep seeing them) day tickets for zone 1-9 and they are proced at £17.40... but I cant seem to buy them !!!!! Ive looked at getting a London Pass thing as they seem ok for the Sunday... I may just wait until the day if they cap it.

I was there this weekend pal, you can use your contactless cash card to get in the underground so no need to even buy an Oyster card and then mess around topping it up. All in all over three days using it quite a lot I only spent about £15-20 by using it. Kids under 11 go free on tube and buses as well.

I was there this weekend pal, you can use your contactless cash card to get in the underground so no need to even buy an Oyster card and then mess around topping it up. All in all over three days using it quite a lot I only spent about £15-20 by using it. Kids under 11 go free on tube and buses as well.

^This. Just use your contactless card. Saves all the :censored:ing about queuing at the ticket machine and it won't take you over the minimum day ticket price. But both grown-ups will need one.

Top tip: parents often take kids through the luggage gate when they get to the barriers because the tailgating technique can be difficult to master.

Rank amateur behaviour to tailgate. The one with no card goes first.

My mistake. I would still call that tailgating, but you're right that you need two in the conspiracy with both understanding their roles - unless you're one of them Peckham Rye ninjas who ropes in the unwitting commuter into doing their fare dodging for them as naturally as other people put one foot in front of the other to walk.