Parallel Lives

The accelerating slide of Latics this last few years has been doubly painful for me as my other club's position has been remarkably similar.

They have been at the same level for many years but recently the odd flirtation with the play offs has been replaced by an annual struggle, thus far successful,to finish just above the relegation places.

There is a revolving door at the player's entrance as a succession of short term loans and contracted players take turns at showing they are not up to standard and this year we sit rock bottom of the table though not yet adrift.

The Chairman spends most of his time in the States and has made it known for some years that he is a willing seller but despite rumours of interest there have been no credible candidates.

In the meantime gates have slumped, the once immaculate playing surface has turned to mud and the mood is largely apathetic with the odd hint of anger.

Sounds familiar?!

Well this morning we have a new owner. I have no idea yet of his background or intentions but at least there is some hope rather than just waiting for relegation and whatever lies beyond.

Maybe the parallels will continue..