The magic of the Anglo-Italian Cup

This article tells the story of the 1990s incarnation of the Anglo-Italian Cup. Amongst other curiosities, it references Latics’ away game in Ancona, which was played out in front of just 300 people...

https://calcioengland.wordpress.com/2019/09/13/the-tempestuous-curtain-call-of-a-tournament-destined-to-fail-the-anglo-italian-cup-1992-96/

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

If I remember rightly, the Ancona fans were boycotting games in protest against their owners, hence the particularly low attendance.

Good idea, that..

Worked out well for Ancona and their two subsequent Phoenix teams.

Although I can think of at least one poster on here who would be delighted for Latics to be owned by the Pope! 🤣🤣🤣

21 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Worked out well for Ancona and their two subsequent Phoenix teams.

Although I can think of at least one poster on here who would be delighted for Latics to be owned by the Pope! 🤣🤣🤣

Make it so. Failing that the Mormons. 

On 9/15/2019 at 7:52 AM, ghostofcecere said:

I think there was less than that when we played Genoa away, I was among the 150 Latics fans that travelled, and I don’t recall there being any home fans in at all.

It certainly looked a bit sparse in Genoa...

(Photo: Diego Sideburns, Flickr)

3720C4FC-6F54-4EE0-B4EC-59618EB5193D.jpeg

1 hour ago, sbs1trg said:

It certainly looked a bit sparse in Genoa...

(Photo: Diego Sideburns, Flickr)

3720C4FC-6F54-4EE0-B4EC-59618EB5193D.jpeg

One of the lads I travelled with lost his wedding ring during the first half as it fell onto the lower tier. At half time, he had a load of Carabineri and some Latics fans looking for it, I wonder if that picture was taken then! I think it may have been as I’m pretty sure during the game we were on the upper tier only

Archived