Massive December

With November effectively shorn of league fixtures, I girded up the old loins and studied the games we are due to play in December. Weather permitting it's a month that will take us virtually to the halfway point of our season and we desperately need to pick up points. I have to admit, I'm worried what the league table will look like when we're recovering from our NYD hangovers...

I'd be delighted if we pick anything up from Solihull Moors (3rd) and Boreham Wood (6th), but I'd be very surprised too. The game against (improving) Torquay at BP (11th) already looks like a "must win", or at least a "mustn't get turned over". Wealdstone (13th) are solid and have already beaten us once and Gateshead on the 20th is actually a proper, bona-fide "must win". We then finish our month off at Notts County and as things stand I'd show my a*** on the town hall steps if we get anything there. 

A big six games and we need the points haul to be in double figures. My pessimistic head (with its 20 years of sustained and unencumbered growth) suggests 6 at best, but only if we improve quite a bit. The performances at Halifax and Wrexham were poor and unacceptable respectively and the "new manager bounce" has delivered next to nowt. My withered and little troubled optimistic head reckons we'll somehow pick up form and go on a festive winning spree. Between you and me though, I don't listen to him any more - he's gone a bit "funny".

Could somebody reassure me and cheer me up a little bit? 

Please?

4 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

With November effectively shorn of league fixtures, I girded up the old loins and studied the games we are due to play in December. Weather permitting it's a month that will take us virtually to the halfway point of our season and we desperately need to pick up points. I have to admit, I'm worried what the league table will look like when we're recovering from our NYD hangovers...

I'd be delighted if we pick anything up from Solihull Moors (3rd) and Boreham Wood (6th), but I'd be very surprised too. The game against (improving) Torquay at BP (11th) already looks like a "must win", or at least a "mustn't get turned over". Wealdstone (13th) are solid and have already beaten us once and Gateshead on the 20th is actually a proper, bona-fide "must win". We then finish our month off at Notts County and as things stand I'd show my a*** on the town hall steps if we get anything there. 

A big six games and we need the points haul to be in double figures. My pessimistic head (with its 20 years of sustained and unencumbered growth) suggests 6 at best, but only if we improve quite a bit. The performances at Halifax and Wrexham were poor and unacceptable respectively the new manager bounce has delivered next to nowt. My withered and little troubled optimistic head currently has no opinion.

Could somebody reassure me and cheer me up a little bit? 

Please?

A couple more signings ( central midfield!!  )  , a change in formation and our injuries sorted would cheer me up no end

21 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I can only see us getting stronger from 1st of Jan onwards we may get stronger before then. But the next couple of months could well be a rough ride.

I've been waiting for us to get stronger for nearly thirty years  - still waiting.

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I can only see us getting stronger from 1st of Jan onwards we may get stronger before then. But the next couple of months could well be a rough ride.

I'm of the same mind as you are, Glossop. I envisage a few signings and some potentially decent loans coming in. It won't be an instant fix but hopefully an upward curve which lifts the team away from the lower end of the table and a good prep for next season. Once Unsworth has his own players, there really will be no excuses for the poor performances we have had to endure.

I imagine the 'exit door' is already being oiled at the hinges for quite a few players.

34 minutes ago, parigby said:

I've been waiting for us to get stronger for nearly thirty years  - still waiting.

I know same here.

I'm not saying just grin and bear it for the next couple of months if it's bad have a moan, I certainly will be, it's healthy especially when we play crap. But when we zoom back out and look at the bigger picture we are going to be in a far better place come the end of this season. 

We'll be alright.

Archived