He's Clearly an Astute Businessman.....

It's a sentiment I've seen and heard many times and we are all grateful to Frank for saving the Latics.

Is there also an element though of "astute business man; naive football club owner"?

I say that because I suspect that as Frank developed his own business he built a team around him that embraced his own philosophy and vision. He strikes me as a trusting type who almost treats people who work for him as family. He's often referred to as "nice" or "lovely" when people refer to him (as per MM in his latest interview). I`ve caught up with a lot of stuff on here by reading past threads and chatted to people who've witnessed Latics journey over the last couple of years. I`m often told that Frank does not involve himself in the football side of things but trusts others to run that. Who is he trusting exactly? Do they embrace his vision and philosophy?  It's becoming the most crucial point of all because people state that the rest of the club infrastructure is sound but the football side clearly isn't. With the amount of money invested, it is failure on the pitch after nearly 2 years. There seems to be a disconnect between the "football side" and "the rest of the operation".

It's bonkers that we can still make the play-offs but, if we don't, that's a poor reflection on the "football" side of things because this season is a golden opportunity to get out of this relatively poor league. And it is one, despite what some say.

Think of it like this, we should not be casting envious eyes towards Altrincham at this stage of our journey should we?

1 minute ago, spanishfly said:

Think of it like this, we should not be casting envious eyes towards Altrincham at this stage of our journey should we?

I’m very envious of the way they turned LLLLLL into WWWWWW when it mattered tbf.

7 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Is there also an element though of "astute business man; naive football club owner"?

Using the expression astute business man and football club owner in the same sentence is a contradiction anyway.

Edited by whittles left foot
  • Like 1

I hope someone explained to him before he took over how much money he'd lose.

We own the ground and there's £5 million loan (?) available to the club, so we're not in imminent financial danger, are we?

He's wasted loads of cash and will probably need to waste a load more before we get to where we need to be.  Hopefully he's got it to spare and is willing to take the hit!

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I hope someone explained to him before he took over how much money he'd lose.

We own the ground and there's £5 million loan (?) available to the club, so we're not in imminent financial danger, are we?

He's wasted loads of cash and will probably need to waste a load more before we get to where we need to be.  Hopefully he's got it to spare and is willing to take the hit!

Once you stop seeing him joivially walking freely around the ground before each home match and on away days then it's start-to-worry time. 

Successful business people learn quickly from mistakes and never make the same ones twice. I'm sure it went on record (via DR's podcast interview maybe?) that they had a plan to achieve promotion to the FL within four years. The sooner the better would be a bonus. I don't think that's neccessarily off track, but we've had a bloodied nose in the first couple of rounds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Once you stop seeing him joivially walking freely around the ground before each home match and on away days then it's start-to-worry time. 

Successful business people learn quickly from mistakes and never make the same ones twice. I'm sure it went on record (via DR's podcast interview maybe?) that they had a plan to achieve promotion to the FL within four years. The sooner the better would be a bonus. I don't think that's neccessarily off track, but we've had a bloodied nose in the first couple of rounds.

We’ll have done well if can get there in another 2 seasons!

• Like 1