How every swansea fan will feel heading home tonight.

Bloody great it is too. well done to one and all in the far section of the Paddock. It was obvious we got to Anderson when he came on with the fruity man comments. He should have scored two fairly comfortably.

Seriously though. Alot of work to be done. You can clearly see that Swansea were always one step infront of us. They gave Eardley in particular a torrid time. Jason Scotland look's a class act upfront, but Gregan did have a blinder today.

Kilkenny showed his quality. He took a bit of a knock but if he stays fit for the duration of the loan. He'll show what he's capable of.

Ricketts looked knackered after half an hour. Must admit I was impressed with him. Holds the ball up well and links with Davies superbly. Give it a couple of weeks and the partnership will be even better. Davies. Swansea couldnt handle him. First minute of the game he had them at sixes and sevens. No need to give away the penalty as the ball was in the corner.

Must admit the ref, despite giving Swansea alot of the ball deserves a bit of credit. For a change.

3 players should have been sent off today. Swansea's defender in the first minute for being the last man. There keeper for the late tackle on Davies when he'd beat him in the race to get the ball and Allott who was very fortunate to stay on the pitch. His late tackle had everyone thinking the worst.

I seriously dont know how we won that game. Swansea are/were one of the better sides we will see at Boundary Park this season. We mugged them blind.

Cracking atmosphere. Viva La Paddock! Superb today boys, even if the mini hitlers didnt allow it for the first half.

Perfect start for the boys in blue. Hope the young lads who got hit on the hill by 40 or so "hard" swansea grown blokes are o.k. They were no more than 14 years old, but like the 1999 FA Cup game. The stupid Taffy beggars didnt give a flying.

Oh when the bluesssssss

Did wonder how Tate got away with so many fouls yet Allott and Taylor seemed to be booked for their first ones.

Dennis Lawrence too :angry: Just go away you giraffe like fool.

Thought we did well in patches. They seemed to have more of the second half but regardless of their strikers etc we got two chances and stuck them away. Good start and we can now push on to next week.

I think in many ways we paid for getting the early pen as the ref played to the away fans. The foul on Davies by the goalie for one.

The end of the day many of us feel we have got out of jail but when was the last time we did. Even more so, how many teams have had the lucky break and got out of jail against us. Work in progess maybe but we beat one hell of a team and by my book THAT MAKES US ONE HELL OF A TEAM!!

we got two chances and stuck them away.

That's it. We took the few opportunities that came our way and converted them into goals. Clinical stuff.

Swansea must be kicking themselves, but they shouldn't have too much to worry about. They looked a class act and should be thereabouts at the end of the season. I know it's probably too early to say, but I reckon you won't see too many teams playing at BP with the flair that they did today...

"Must admit the ref, despite giving Swansea alot of the ball deserves a bit of credit. For a change."

WTF? :shock:

thought the ref had a shocker,a stronger ref would have sent off 3 from each team.maybe the only credit he gets is he did'nt show the red card to any of our players.

Didn't Ricketts miss a sitter in the first half after a brilliant move?

He did, you're right. Given that Swansea were all over us like a cheap suit and had plenty of opportunity, we had a superior chance/conversion ratio - which is interesting - if they continue to be a clinical as that we're in for a good season.

I'm impressed with our attacking options especially the starting two yesterday, Allott really imporessed - I was a big old skeptic with regards to his signing. But he dispelled any fears I may have had prior to on-season.

Oh, and I have to agree - the Referee was very, very weak...

Allott really imporessed - I was a big old skeptic with regards to his signing. But he dispelled any fears I may have had prior to on-season.

There are A LOT of converts about Mark, but there's none so blind as those who will not see. He made one bad mistake in the first half and a woman two rows behind me came down on him like a ton of bricks - f-ing and jeffing and "waste of money". At least she couldn't have a go at Les and she left the black players alone for once!

Overall, we looked off the pace and second to every ball.

But we won, and the teams who have success at any level win games when they were second best.

My take on it, seeing as this is my first time seeing the side :

Crossley : 6/10

Made some excellent saves which showed that he could be a cut above at this level, but also showed he's not match fit and some crosses and high balls needed taking which he didn't do.

Giddings : 8/10

Excellent. I'd love to see this lad stay on for a while if he's not going to get into the Cov side as he was fantastic for us yesterday.

Greegan : 6/10

Not a bad start. Has developed a love for coming out off the back line to make high up the pitch tackles. There is a time and place for that no doubt - but it needs to be watch, 'cos when he got it wrong we looked under pressure.

Thompson : 7/10

Looked a little off the pace at times, but also made several good clearance headers and two which he put behind at the front post which stopped them from scoring certain goals.

Eardley : 6/10

Ran ragged by their number 18 - but that was more through the lack of protection he had from our positional play in the middle third.

Taylor : 5/10

Never threatened and looked a million miles away at times. Can't doubt his effort and he's got a long way to go to learn the game and needs to impose himself better at times.

Kalala : 6/10

Excellent in the middle at times. Suffered from the overall positional problems we had in the middle - but that was due to the formation and players playing out of place than his ability. Very excited about him being in the team.

Killkenny : 6/10

Same as JP really. Looked good at times but was not fully functioning as a unit with JP and Allott.

Allott : 5/10

Looked out of place on the right. Caused us no end of problems by not staying wide to help defend. More to do with his position than his ability but I think we need to put him back in the middle and quick.

Ricketts : 6/10

Looked strong and not match fit. So if we get him fit he could cause no end of bother at this level. Scored the Pen and that's all you ask... it was crap though.

Davis : 8/10

Our best player. And one who if he keeps fit and in form could be off in January. He's a very very talented player and he's fast, exceptionally fast. Worked and worked, caused them trouble and got in exactly the right position for the cross. That said he sometimes got out of position - coming short for crosses when there was already an option there. That will come with time and understanding.

Subs

Smalley (For Ricketts) : 7/10

Worked hard, ran well, caused them trouble that Ricketts hadn't with his pace and is very strong for a young lad. The cross was spot on (as was the one early that went for a throw because not a single player had attacked the box).

Liddell (For Taylor) : 7/10

Those who said he should not be in the team, hang your head. He fixed all our central problems on his own. He provided width, looked fit. Was smart with his distribution and has to be back in the team for Tuesday.

McDonald (For Eardley) : 5/10

Didn't have much time to do anything - why we brought him on is beyond me really. He made a balls up of the one tackle he had to make and they blew the chance to win the game from it.

Overall

I'm happy we took the 3 points, but as others have said we were lacking in many areas and were second to every single 50/50. I'd like to see Taylor dropped to the bench on Tuesday and KK on the left with Allott and JP central and Lidds on the right. It offers us much more stability and shape in the middle and corrects the defensive problems we had with them winning loose balls just outside the area.

KtF

Ack

Overall, we looked off the pace and second to every ball.

But we won, and the teams who have success at any level win games when they were second best.

My take on it, seeing as this is my first time seeing the side :

Crossley : 6/10

Made some excellent saves which showed that he could be a cut above at this level, but also showed he's not match fit and some crosses and high balls needed taking which he didn't do.

Giddings : 8/10

Excellent. I'd love to see this lad stay on for a while if he's not going to get into the Cov side as he was fantastic for us yesterday.

Greegan : 6/10

Not a bad start. Has developed a love for coming out off the back line to make high up the pitch tackles. There is a time and place for that no doubt - but it needs to be watch, 'cos when he got it wrong we looked under pressure.

Thompson : 7/10

Looked a little off the pace at times, but also made several good clearance headers and two which he put behind at the front post which stopped them from scoring certain goals.

Eardley : 6/10

Ran ragged by their number 18 - but that was more through the lack of protection he had from our positional play in the middle third.

Taylor : 5/10

Never threatened and looked a million miles away at times. Can't doubt his effort and he's got a long way to go to learn the game and needs to impose himself better at times.

Kalala : 6/10

Excellent in the middle at times. Suffered from the overall positional problems we had in the middle - but that was due to the formation and players playing out of place than his ability. Very excited about him being in the team.

Killkenny : 6/10

Same as JP really. Looked good at times but was not fully functioning as a unit with JP and Allott.

Allott : 5/10

Looked out of place on the right. Caused us no end of problems by not staying wide to help defend. More to do with his position than his ability but I think we need to put him back in the middle and quick.

Ricketts : 6/10

Looked strong and not match fit. So if we get him fit he could cause no end of bother at this level. Scored the Pen and that's all you ask... it was crap though.

Davis : 8/10

Our best player. And one who if he keeps fit and in form could be off in January. He's a very very talented player and he's fast, exceptionally fast. Worked and worked, caused them trouble and got in exactly the right position for the cross. That said he sometimes got out of position - coming short for crosses when there was already an option there. That will come with time and understanding.

Subs

Smalley (For Ricketts) : 7/10

Worked hard, ran well, caused them trouble that Ricketts hadn't with his pace and is very strong for a young lad. The cross was spot on (as was the one early that went for a throw because not a single player had attacked the box).

Liddell (For Taylor) : 7/10

Those who said he should not be in the team, hang your head. He fixed all our central problems on his own. He provided width, looked fit. Was smart with his distribution and has to be back in the team for Tuesday.

McDonald (For Eardley) : 5/10

Didn't have much time to do anything - why we brought him on is beyond me really. He made a balls up of the one tackle he had to make and they blew the chance to win the game from it.

Overall

I'm happy we took the 3 points, but as others have said we were lacking in many areas and were second to every single 50/50. I'd like to see Taylor dropped to the bench on Tuesday and KK on the left with Allott and JP central and Lidds on the right. It offers us much more stability and shape in the middle and corrects the defensive problems we had with them winning loose balls just outside the area.

KtF

Ack

I'd stick taylor on the right on tuesday give him the ball and let him run at em,bet you'd see a differant taylor then.ktf.

Ackey where have you got those ratings from. You gave thompson a 7 and Gregan a 6? I thought Gregan looked like the Gregan we had on loan whereas Thompson made error after error and cost us the goal.

I thought Liddell looked very impressive when he came on, perhaps a bit of competiton for his place will make him play at his best.

how the hell gregan didnt get the man of the macth he was a man mountain and by far our best player,

Crossley did ok - made a couple of brilliant saves

Eardley - not sure whats goiing on with Neil, his performances at the end of last season and yesterday were not like him not his best game

Giddings - think the lad did really well nothing really got past him , would be happy on this performance to stay a litle longer.

thompson - one of afew players who looked tired towards the end - but apart from that very happy with the pairing in the centre.

GREGAN*** MOM by a landslide won everything - more of the please SEAN

SPECIAL K@S in the middle JP was greaaaaaaaatt broke everything up especially in the first half -

KIlkenny - again of of those who tired but he is gonna be brill for us up to the new year welcome back

Taylor - a lot of running without the final produce - but we have seen he can do it

Allott - my comments regarding Mark have seen to be a little unfair but my opinion has still not changed ok he was playing out of position slightly but the first half passed him bye i purposly watched Mark to see what he did and to try an look it objectively but apart from one long cross field ball to Davies(ubf. he lost control) he was not in the game

his tackling was way off even in the second half, when he was moved into the middle it was better but not enough to split the other two from playing in the middle

Ricketts - we got a lot from him in the hour - again another one not 100% fit, and we have to realise he is not going to chase balls down like davies still think though he will bag loads

Davies - he is gonna be the runner up front this season, and deserved the goal at the end - confident we will have two strikers up fron both capabale of bagging 15+ each

Lids - looked really effective when he came on - brill - be interesting to see if he can do the business from the start -

Smalley - super duper ball into the box absolute sweet as a nut - could be a great bench man

Macdonal - not enought itme to pass comment

The problems in midfield stemmed from the tactics. We were playing wingers we were playing right and left centre mids. They were able to spread the play to the wings and it stretched us. Playing KK behind the front two is one thing but no one was attacking the box when we went forward apart from the front two. Davies was pulling them apart at times but there was no support. Once we went to 4-4-2 we were much better and it had a lot more balance and for a bit we definetley looked the better side.

As for Ricketts miss in the first half. If you mean the pass from Davies, it was just too far in front of him.

In my opinion. and that's all they are. Gregan made too many half baked runs out of the back line to make iffy tackles.

Thompson made mistakes, and I've said that above. However he also made two headers which were otherwise 99.99% goals and without that we'd have lost.

I don't think anyone at the back played especailly well - more to do with the structural problems from the midfield than the defenders themselves - but that of the two I think that Thomson made a couple of key decisions better than Greegan.

Allott - my comments regarding Mark have seen to be a little unfair but my opinion has still not changed ok he was playing out of position slightly but the first half passed him bye i purposly watched Mark to see what he did and to try an look it objectively but apart from one long cross field ball to Davies(ubf. he lost control) he was not in the game

It sounds to me like you had made your mind up before kick off as if you purposefully watched him, and apparently he did nothing, you are going to be blind to anything he does that is good.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Agree with everything you say Rocky apart from

Swansea's defender in the first minute for being the last man.

Rules have changed unfortunately, you can only get sent off for denying a "clear goalscoring opportunity" as the ball was going near the corner flag the incident could not be deemed a goal scoring opportunity.

Special mention for Allot and Greegan from me, Allot proved that he is a very good and tidy midfielder at this level who can put in a tackle or two if needed (although for me this is not his game). Greegan was a rock at the back but did tend to stray up the field a couple of times and I can see him getting caught out for that.

Kilkenny did well, although his stray pass led to their goal as he tired towards the end, no doubt he will be a cracking player for us as will kalala who tacked and harried everything in sight.

Davies was marvelous upfront for us and ran their defense ragged.

Ricketts did tire, it is not his game to chase everything. He constantly had the attention of two defenders because Tate could not handle him on his own therefore led to more space for Davies IMO, a very very useful player at this level.

It was very nice to get the victory even though we didn't deserve it, how many times has that happened to us!

Right then, my two-penneth...

Firstly, as has been said, I think we were playing against pretty much the best side we will see at BP all season... a side full of players who had played together all pre-season, and knew each other inside out - thier movement was simply superb, and in Bodde and Scotland have two players that to me looked a cut above this division.... to have stayed with them when our team is still so new, and had 2 players who just turned up on friday - was an absolute credit to the boys... and shows a scary amount of potential...

My first major point is on the front two - for the first half hour they were scary, easily the best forward erormance I have seen at BP for many a year... they destroyed swansea, and tait and lawrence looked shell shocked - awesome stuff... and as diego says, rickets should have made it 2-0, thier keeper should have been sent off... and davies got behind them 2 or three times - we need Ricketts to get fitter.... but surely against the lesser sides we will be out of sight in the first 30 mins....

The system - the 4-3-1-2 looked very exciting, and Allott was superb, Kalala was the annoying type player we have been searching for (foot like a sherrifs badge but hopefully that will improve)... BUT we need Kilkenny to hold the ball more... this is not his fault, you can tell he has been coached at a higher team to give the ball quickly and do nothing fancy (sort of like the change in joe Coles game)... but we need him to keep the thing and commit defenders... once he gets the fact that he can run this division, it will be awesome.... until then we will get more instances like the swans goal, where kilkeeny tried to pass to taylor when he wasnt ready and gave the ball away... when KK should have just ran for 50 yards...

Defence - Gregan was AWESOME, truly brilliant - Ackey, love to know what game you were watching, Thommo did OK, but yet again swansea targetted the right side as they knew that was weaker... Eardley got another lesson in positioning and strength... i'm sill a little worried, as last season about the right side of defence.... seeing that today, i think Thmpson looks like a full back (and a strong one...) and would rathe see him there.... with eardle being used more sparingly...

Giddings - Brilliant. I say brilliant as he had a damn good, solid game in a new team.... he is big(ish) strong, an absolute competitor, and very tidy... does the simple things well and is a defender first.... when he gets more confidence I think this kid will be awesome for us - If he stays longer than a month - this is exactly the type of full back i want in this team....

So, for me... so many more postitives than negatives.... when we get fitter, and more suited to that style we will destroy teams in this league... Ricketts and davies alone will do that inside of 30 mins in most games... we got outplayed for long periods by a very good side, but all you need is players to put the ball in the onion bag - we definitely have that...

And Allott and Gregan - you were heroes out there boys - well done.... The new oldham is looking very, very promising....

Edited by BigfinLatic

You know what I love about football...

Right then, my two-penneth...

I think most of what you say is right, but disagree massivly in part. But I love 'tics and I know you do and I don't care what you or I think... we got three points and that's great.

Bring on the Stags and we can argue again!! :lol:

very pleased with yesterdays performance. a lot of people have said we were lucky to come out with 3 points but i think swansea will probaly be the team to beat this season and against lesser teams i think we probaly would of won at ease yesterday. i thought that the defence still needs a bit of work doin but on the whole we defended well. i think eardley will get back to his form of last season but i think he needs to be taken out of the firing line at the moment, its just a shame that lomax is injured.

i think we now have options in midfield which is what we lacked last season and we are now not reliant on one person to create our chances. killer showed that he can be a class above anything in this league with a few nice little bits of play and as we play more matches will start to control the entire game. kalala basically won the ball and played it simple and has one hell of an engine which is wot we lacked to play with wellens last season. allot is a changed man and i wudnt fancy goin into a tackle wiv him!! maybe a bit lucky to stay on but after the ref didnt send robinson off i think he knew he could get away with one more. the strikers i think are basically the same style as last season but in davies he is a much better player than warney and not a nearly man. and ricketts definitly has that look about him that once he gets 5 or 6 goals under his belt he cud quite comfortably beat porters 23 goals last season.

so on the whole definitly happier and more optamistic than after the 1st game last season and we finnished in the playoffs last year.

It sounds to me like you had made your mind up before kick off as if you purposefully watched him, and apparently he did nothing, you are going to be blind to anything he does that is good.

mr jimsleftfoot, i have said on here i would love to be proven wrong, and when allott did something right i clapped and acknowledged it, ok.

i watched him because there is a huge majority that seem to like what he is doing which does suggest i maybe wrong, and i will acknowledge when he does something well,(ok i lost it once with him in the second half) but it is my opinion at the moment he hasnt done anything to persuade me otherwise,

i am not fickle enough to admit i can be and as i say i hope i will be wrong cause at the end of the day he is wearing a latics shirt,