Crowd atmosphere v Southend

The chance to prove that the drummer was the reason people had stopped singing to lift the team, was not taken yesterday. The performance on the pitch was dire, but the performance of the crowd was just as bad. I know it's chicken-and-egg and the players have to do something to lift the fans, but it was as though everyone had lost their singing voice. It was round about the hour mark before there was a decent attempt at a chant and that was all of five seconds long. The only OWTB chant attempt was after 70 minutes and fizzled out before its natural end.

As somene said very recently its OUR club. If WE can't get enjoyment from singing and chanting and we have to keep relying on the players to lift themselves, then we're in for a pretty miserable season.

The crowd atmosphere is said by the management and players to be worth a goal. WE have to believe that and get back to giving it a go. If some people put as much energy into singing as they do into moaning, we could make BP a fortress off the field. Then it would be up to the players to respond to get US going onwards and upwards.

Sorry to keep offending some people by raising this issue, but if we're going to get out of the present quagmire, why not give it a shout?

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not for the crowd to sing to save themselves from the drummer, as if he has a divine right to bang the sodding thing in their ears to punish them for not making enough noise. The atmosphere was crap without him and would have been crap with him. If the decibel count is all that matters why doesn't he leave the drum at home and bring a bag of cats to torture? I don't now what to do to raise the atmosphere, but I do know that most people enjoy their day less when the drum is out.

its the on going debate -

the chaddy end who THINK ????????????? they are are brillitant no matter what are drivel when it comes to home games, this is supposed to be( or historically) the main vocal point of our singing chanting whatever. - and yesterday were pants

its no excuse - if that performance would of been away we would of been on top note for ninety minutes as always.

we need to look at ourselves also - yeah its not easy if team not playing well - but it cant do the any team any harm - if we start to try and lift them for ninety minutes in the home games.

i did post this b4 - my niece whos seven came to her first game yesterday and after 25 minutes asked me why the men behind the goal dont sing -

chaddy enders please explain

its the on going debate -

the chaddy end who THINK ????????????? they are are brillitant no matter what are drivel when it comes to home games, this is supposed to be( or historically) the main vocal point of our singing chanting whatever. - and yesterday were pants

its no excuse - if that performance would of been away we would of been on top note for ninety minutes as always.

we need to look at ourselves also - yeah its not easy if team not playing well - but it cant do the any team any harm - if we start to try and lift them for ninety minutes in the home games.

i did post this b4 - my niece whos seven came to her first game yesterday and after 25 minutes asked me why the men behind the goal dont sing -

chaddy enders please explain

If the Chaddy Enders had a spot in the match programme it might read like this:

I must say that some of the abuse of the Chaddy Enders was wrong.

Fans pay their money and are entitled to make comments like "Chaddy End, you're rubbish." and "'Muppet Choir' you're rubbish." but some overstepped the line. It's not right, because we are not there to get personal abuse and some of the stuff coming from other parts of the crowd was totally out of order.

Football is about opinions but fans don't choose not to sing on purpose.

This is YOUR football club and we are trying OUR best to get it out of this division.

However we have taken note of your criticism and we'll try harder at the next home game, to get back to the standard we set when we helped to get the team top of the League last season. :wink:

Guest oa_exile

Well i am not making excuses for everyone BUT thier was a MAJOR INCIDENT in the Lower Lookers yesterday.

I went for a pie at HT to be told "We have sold out" :disappointed: ........... Exile "God forbid" :blink:

How can we expect to raise the team spirits when our spirits are low , we cant be expected to sing and shout and have fire in our bellies with no food inside our bellies :angry: ......... shocking !

NOTE TO CLUB : Get a Grip !

PS : I was later told that their was ...............

wait for it ....................................

NO BEER available in the Royle Bar after the game !

Club turned revenue away yesterday , No pies and No beer !

like i said, how can u sign when u watch that :censored:.!

works both ways, fans get behind the team wen the team gives something to the fans.

fans can onli give so much before you start getting pi55ed off.

Also, at away games every1 is tanked up and in a much better mood than at home watching SOuthend!

like i said, how can u sign when u watch that :censored:.!

works both ways, fans get behind the team wen the team gives something to the fans.

fans can onli give so much before you start getting pi55ed off.

Also, at away games every1 is tanked up and in a much better mood than at home watching SOuthend!

no no no - you support hence the word support your team through thick and thin - if your team not playing get behind em to try and lift it -

and if you are all tanked up at away games then maybe you should all start meeting at the white hart at 12 three hours after going round to someones house, to start drinking if its gona make you sing no matter what at home.

not everyone 1 is p!$$£d up at away games but still the support is brill not matter how we playing

its easy saying that but im sick of watching dribble, as you cud see yesterday no one wanted or felt like singing because the team wer awful

sorry if i aint the perfect supporter but I thnik you will find 99% of fans dnt sinjg when there team is palying like prats!

Danny not disagreeing with the fact it wernt good - but next week when we go to walsall - the singing will be first class no matter what - this is my point im trying to make -

you are tremendous supporter because you also travel away like myself - but the 99% of fans who dont sing at home do away - nothing to do with beer IMO.

The singing was very poor at Accrington. Perhaps insufficient drinking hours before a night match.

ok point taken there diego - 1st half was drivel from the players and fans -

but fans do drink before a home game - but nothing -

cant believe it takes a huge multi-EXCESS of beer -

before all the crowd starts to cheer

we should always get behind each and every lad

even if were playing bad

i know that attempt was sad

i will be at walsall, luckily not just for the football!

my point is away games r a lot more exciitng than home games, as home games have become boring, where as away games r different and is class whe nyou win away, a win at home should be expected, a win away from home just tops up a great day of drinking with your mates

Conga if we are getting beat against Crewe, Danny. :bblue2::bblue2::lookers:

As for drinking being tanked up. Most people do before games, but being away from Boundary Park has that extra kick to it that make's you want to sing. Southend at home with a mediocre handful of away fans doesnt inspire you.

Agree with you that home games are boring. They dont have and never will have the same feel as an away game.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I remember the Bournemouth game at home last season, I took my mate to that match who at this point was a City fan. First thing she spoke about was the atmosphere. She was saying she understood why I loved coming to Boundary Park simply because the crowd just carried on chanting even when we were losing. So she converted simply because she loved the atmosphere.

Dunno what the point to that little story was but I thought I'd share it anyway.

As a fan, I think it feels incredibly uplifting to hear a chorus of OWTB or something so I can't begin to imagine how it makes the players feel to hear everyone getting behind them like that and I don't think it should ever stop no matter how badly we're playing or what league position we're in.

I remember the Bournemouth game at home last season, I took my mate to that match who at this point was a City fan. First thing she spoke about was the atmosphere. She was saying she understood why I loved coming to Boundary Park simply because the crowd just carried on chanting even when we were losing. So she converted simply because she loved the atmosphere.

Dunno what the point to that little story was but I thought I'd share it anyway.

As a fan, I think it feels incredibly uplifting to hear a chorus of OWTB or something so I can't begin to imagine how it makes the players feel to hear everyone getting behind them like that and I don't think it should ever stop no matter how badly we're playing or what league position we're in.

I don't think anyone can argue with that. If they can, then they probably won't sing. If they agree with carrabanana then I hope they join in next time and make it sound uplifting once again.

Guest sheridans_world
The singing was very poor at Accrington. Perhaps insufficient drinking hours before a night match.

No lid on the stand, couldnt generate sound.

Same at Blackpool and i was drinking on the train on the way in.

Didn't think it was that bad on Satdi. Seems though only the right side can be bothered tough. Every time I am on me toes shouting me head off, I look across and it is only up to about the halfway point in the Chaddy End people are bothering.

Don't understand it really. Think at times we were really loud, fuelled by that absolute joke of a ref - these people are robbing us - we pay money to watch football and these guys turn up every week spoiling the enjoyment -we should sue!

Me and me mates give it 100%, the main group of lads at the side of us give it their all - we just need more factions to be arsed!

No lid on the stand, couldnt generate sound.

Same at Blackpool and i was drinking on the train on the way in.

I am new to this board but have been a latics supporter for over 40 years. I go to Boundary Park to be entertained because I love football and I love my home town team. I expect them to do the entertaining, not the crowd... It is as a consequence of their talent and play that the crowd get excited and start to sing and chant. Not the other way round . When you serve up rubbish you get complaints. Simple as that. The fans way of complaining is to fall silent and lose interest. Another problem is the design of the home and away stands. The Rochdale Road end makes for better accoustics so 300 Southend supporters sounded louder than 1000 home fans. CHANGE ENDS. I used to stand in the Rochdale Road end with my Dad when it was for home fans. The club has asked the fans to swap but for their own reasons they have declined the opportunity. I sit in the main stand and have done so for the past 20years so it doesn't affect me. Can you imagine how loud the Leeds fans will sound in October. It will sound as though they are at home. I'm sure the Chaddy Enders try their best but the roof on that stand drowns them out!!!

I am new to this board but have been a latics supporter for over 40 years. I go to Boundary Park to be entertained because I love football and I love my home town team. I expect them to do the entertaining, not the crowd... It is as a consequence of their talent and play that the crowd get excited and start to sing and chant. Not the other way round . When you serve up rubbish you get complaints. Simple as that. The fans way of complaining is to fall silent and lose interest. Another problem is the design of the home and away stands. The Rochdale Road end makes for better accoustics so 300 Southend supporters sounded louder than 1000 home fans. CHANGE ENDS. I used to stand in the Rochdale Road end with my Dad when it was for home fans. The club has asked the fans to swap but for their own reasons they have declined the opportunity. I sit in the main stand and have done so for the past 20years so it doesn't affect me. Can you imagine how loud the Leeds fans will sound in October. It will sound as though they are at home. I'm sure the Chaddy Enders try their best but the roof on that stand drowns them out!!!

We have had the discussion ad nauseum about the RRE v the Chaddy End on the subject of accoustics. The RRE having better accoustics is an urban myth, and I don't want to keep going over old ground.

I can understand younger fans being prepared to believe that if we changed ends everything would be deafeningly fantastic. however, I'm amazed that someone who has kept the Faith for over 40 years and has sat in the Main Stand for the past twenty years believes the myth. When you used to stand with your Dad when it was for home fans, can you honestly tell me that you could not hear that fantastic noise coming from the Chaddy. The 'Zigga Zagga' chant and all the old favourites - are you saying you were unaware of what was being sung in the Chaddy?

Of course Leeds will make a fantastic noise in October, because at least 90% of their 4,600 fans will sing their hearts out for thir lads. if we went to Old Trafford, our 3,000 would outsing their 73,000, because we would be just the same as the Leeds fans will be at BP.

You say it doesn't affect you because you sit in the Main Stand. By that do you mean that the Main Standers don't have the problem

because they all sing, or do you mean it's only the responsibility of the Chaddy Enders to sing.

Yes it's great to be entertained and respond by singing, but there are times when we're being outplayed, but the fans' repetitive chanting of 'John Sjeridan's Blue and White Army' for up to five minutes has inspired the players and the goal scored has been definitely "assisted" by the fans. It's an amazing feeling to be involved in something like that.

The fans of those clubs recognised as the best singers - Liverpool, Celtic, Portsmouth, West Ham - are prepared to sing regardless of whether everything is rosy on the pitch. Those of us who repeatedly try to get people to respond to the manager's and players' requests for the fans to make some noise and be worth a goal to the team, know that we are fighting a losing battle, but regardless of criticism, we'll continue to try to get things going. The very fact that it is the Chaddy End which is regarded as the singers' home proves that those singers can be heard throughout the ground, IF enough people are prepared to sing.

Many fans who used to lead the singing now keep quiet. Whether it's because they feel they've outgrown it and it's a thing for young fans I don't know. Their wealth of knowledge of songs and ability to lead the singing is badly missed at the moment.

Let's get back to all singing from the same sheet.

I just wish the singing would spread out a bit more rather than just being in the Chaddy End. It can feel a bit intimidating to be one of the few in my area who's willing to chant but I still do it nonetheless. Just imagine the noise we would make if EVERYONE joined in? It'd be phenomenal and I firmly beleive that a good, loud chorus of something spurs the players on and that's were we need to step in when they're having a bad performance. Don't just go quiet, SING LOUDER!

We have had the discussion ad nauseum about the RRE v the Chaddy End on the subject of accoustics. The RRE having better accoustics is an urban myth, and I don't want to keep going over old ground.

I can understand younger fans being prepared to believe that if we changed ends everything would be deafeningly fantastic. however, I'm amazed that someone who has kept the Faith for over 40 years and has sat in the Main Stand for the past twenty years believes the myth. When you used to stand with your Dad when it was for home fans, can you honestly tell me that you could not hear that fantastic noise coming from the Chaddy. The 'Zigga Zagga' chant and all the old favourites - are you saying you were unaware of what was being sung in the Chaddy?

Of course Leeds will make a fantastic noise in October, because at least 90% of their 4,600 fans will sing their hearts out for thir lads. if we went to Old Trafford, our 3,000 would outsing their 73,000, because we would be just the same as the Leeds fans will be at BP.

You say it doesn't affect you because you sit in the Main Stand. By that do you mean that the Main Standers don't have the problem

because they all sing, or do you mean it's only the responsibility of the Chaddy Enders to sing.

Yes it's great to be entertained and respond by singing, but there are times when we're being outplayed, but the fans' repetitive chanting of 'John Sjeridan's Blue and White Army' for up to five minutes has inspired the players and the goal scored has been definitely "assisted" by the fans. It's an amazing feeling to be involved in something like that.

The fans of those clubs recognised as the best singers - Liverpool, Celtic, Portsmouth, West Ham - are prepared to sing regardless of whether everything is rosy on the pitch. Those of us who repeatedly try to get people to respond to the manager's and players' requests for the fans to make some noise and be worth a goal to the team, know that we are fighting a losing battle, but regardless of criticism, we'll continue to try to get things going. The very fact that it is the Chaddy End which is regarded as the singers' home proves that those singers can be heard throughout the ground, IF enough people are prepared to sing.

Many fans who used to lead the singing now keep quiet. Whether it's because they feel they've outgrown it and it's a thing for young fans I don't know. Their wealth of knowledge of songs and ability to lead the singing is badly missed at the moment.

Let's get back to all singing from the same sheet.

Hello Diego

I did hear the singing from the Chaddy Road when I was a lad and it was tremendous. It would have been even better if the slope of the chaddy roof hadn't been there.It is a simple matter of physics. I dont think it is the responsibility of the Chaddy enders to sing and theirs alone. I did say that it was up to the team to inspire us just as much as it is our responsibility to inspire them. However I will repeat that I've paid to watch them and it is therefore their job to entertain me and the 5,000 other fans who turned up on Saturday. This they are not doing. When I'm sat with my head in my hands in frustration it is a little hard to get enthusiastic. We should be burying teams like Southend and Carlisle, home and away. Just you watch, when LUFC come in October we'll probably play them off the park. You'll hear me singing then!!!

Edited by happyterryb