LOTW - 11/10/07 - David Shaw

Stevie_J

lotwshawfe0.jpg

Welcome to the twenty-first Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's David Shaw.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Don't think I ever saw the Fryett/ Shaw partnership which my dad used to talk about as one of the best ever. Ironic that at the time we are talking about demolishing the NSM Stand it was Fryett & Shaws goals that helped build it by winning the Ford Sporting League. My Dad always said he was one of the quickest players he had seen in a Latics shirt and complemented Fryett's ability in the air perfectly.

Can clearly remember Shaws second debut against Southampton on a Tuesday night when he scored a hat trick.

A real legend of the early 70's.

David Shaw is one of my all time favourite Latics players.

He scored the first Latics goal I ever saw at the first match I ever attended at BP on March 28th 1972, aged 8.

It was a Tuesday night match against Swansea which we won 1-0, I remember the goal really well as it was one of those that hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down over the line and into the net.

It was scored at the Rochdale Road End, I can't remember if that particular goal was flicked on by Fryatt but certainly many of the goals Shaw scored were.

My overriding memory of David Shaw was his lightening pace, he really was quick by any standards.

His partnership with Fryatt was very fruitful as they complimented each other perfectly with Fryatt's aeriel prowess and Shaw's pace, they terrorised defences in the early seventies.

A special player and a true Latics legend.

Don't think I ever saw the Fryett/ Shaw partnership which my dad used to talk about as one of the best ever. Ironic that at the time we are talking about demolishing the NSM Stand it was Fryett & Shaws goals that helped build it by winning the Ford Sporting League. My Dad always said he was one of the quickest players he had seen in a Latics shirt and complemented Fryett's ability in the air perfectly.

Can clearly remember Shaws second debut against Southampton on a Tuesday night when he scored a hat trick.

A real legend of the early 70's

Excellent point about the contribution he made to the Ford Stand - as some of us still call it!

David Shaw was not a flash player, always seemed fairly quiet, and certainly without the charismatic appeal of JimFryatt. But he was strong and fast and was a perfect foil for the air pwer of Fryatt and the midfield gem that was Tommy Bryceland.

Today - 11 october - is his 59th birthday! Happy Birthday David Shaw.

Guest oa_exile

Already some good posts about a Latics Legend.

His best season was the 1970-71 promtion season , Dave and Jim Fryatt forming a leathal partnership which dave scored 23 (+1 LC)League and Jim 24 league (+2LC).

1971-72 saw him Latics to scorer with 18 (+1 LC)

1972-73 saw him again Latics top scorer with 17 from 31 games (+1 FA cup) before his transfer to WBA for £80K midway through the season.

Many people say that if Dave had stayed until the end of the season Latics would have been promoted that season (finishing 4th) , the good news was of course we didnt have to wait to long for that day.

He signed back on a free transfer early 1975-76 season he still managed to be top scorer with 13 goals from 29 games in a poor Oldham side that was going through changes.

This says it all about the Dave Shaw i remember :

.......David Shaw was not a flash player, always seemed fairly quiet

.......his lightening pace, he really was quick by any standards.

........was one of the quickest players he had seen in a Latics shirt.

........Fryatt's aeriel prowess and Shaw's pace, they terrorised defences in the early seventies.

He used to be landlord at the Crown and Shuttle in Firgrove (between Milnrow and Rochdale). He took a football in to the club and had it signed for my Dad. I got it as a Christmas present - must have been in the 1970s. Unfortunately, me and my brother played football with it all of Christmas Day and all the signatures had rubbed off on the carpet by Boxing Day :angry: