Shez thinks we were excellent in the first half

Whilst I agree Ronnie was a dinosaur, and I was fairly indifferent to his managerial style and tactics - Shez is proving to be just as 'reactive' to any problems that present themselves. We played better football under his (Shez's) cartaker tenure in 03/04, with a bunch of kids, journeymen and no hopers. Now we have these so-called big names we are dire. There's too many egos in the dressing room imo, thus explaining Shez's outburst today. One thing though Dan, has Shez convinced us he has a Plan 'B' yet? Because we are playing more hoofball than under ronnie at the moment. Yes it was :censored: and boring under Ronnie, but it was :censored: and boring in the top ten of the league. With the run we've got coming up I'll guarantee we'll be bottom four after we've played at Bournemouth. Even when we've had good sides we've been a soft touch away from home (Dowie season apart) and if we get more than four points from Forest, Orient, Bindippers and Bournemouth I'll be amazed. Last night was so predicatable, I've been watching the sdame kind of away performance for 21 years. Ok first half, 0-0 - then second half roll over and die! I know you've said you were disilliusioned in the mid-90's before regaining the spark at Maine Road well I'm going the same way mate and thats coming from someone who goes to 40+ games every season.

No, he's not 'convinced us he's got a plan b' yet, but like I say, he's barely out of his management pull-ups yet - he's got time to learn. He needs to start doing that though. If he's have been some seasoned manager who'd been there done it and got the t-shirt I'd have been more worried by his perceived naivety, but he's not, so we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And, I'm disillusioned too at the moment - as BB80 puts it, to have seen that opportunity slip away last season and to be stumbling around in the dark at the moment, is hugely frustrating.

However, we just have to keep going, keep supporting, keep believing, keeping the faith. What else is there to do?

I know Royle's name gets trawled up on here whenever we talk about managers and their respective acheivements but as has been discussed a good number of times, his early managerial record was nothing to shout about.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
I know Royle's name gets trawled up on here whenever we talk about managers and their respective acheivements but as has been discussed a good number of times, his early managerial record was nothing to shout about.

Season 1982-83 - 7th

Season 1983-84 - 19th

Season 1984-85 - 14th

Season 1985-86 - 8th

Season 1986-87 - 3rd (Play Off's)

Season 1987-88 - 10th

Season 1988-89 - 16th

Season 1989-90 - 8th

Season 1990-91 - 1st

Season 1982-83 - 7th

Season 1983-84 - 19th

Season 1984-85 - 14th

Season 1985-86 - 8th

Season 1986-87 - 3rd (Play Off's)

Season 1987-88 - 10th

Season 1988-89 - 16th

Season 1989-90 - 8th

Season 1990-91 - 1st

Amazing exile, those first 2 seasons look as though we may be heading for mirror image results if we carry on playing the way we are.

Guest oa_exile
Amazing exile, those first 2 seasons look as though we may be heading for mirror image results if we carry on playing the way we are.

*Cough * i know i am Dan :wub:

Anyway back on topic , that is why i listed the first nine years , apart from the play off season (which i remember well :bigcry: ) as you said

.........his early managerial record was nothing to shout about.

Success was a long time coming with Joe , when you look at it , after three seasons he could have been shown the door !

No, he's not 'convinced us he's got a plan b' yet, but like I say, he's barely out of his management pull-ups yet - he's got time to learn. He needs to start doing that though. If he's have been some seasoned manager who'd been there done it and got the t-shirt I'd have been more worried by his perceived naivety, but he's not, so we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And, I'm disillusioned too at the moment - as BB80 puts it, to have seen that opportunity slip away last season and to be stumbling around in the dark at the moment, is hugely frustrating.

However, we just have to keep going, keep supporting, keep believing, keeping the faith. What else is there to do?

My frustration in the past has come from the fact we've been skint and had no options to bring the quality in. Shez's budget was a large one for this level and I feel either he or interference from the hierachy has seen it wasted. I say this as i'm not convinced that Hughes and Kilkenny were signed by Shez. Last season an average team clicked for 4 months or so and it was enough to get into the play offs. This year man for man ability wise the squad is better. I terms of effort, the class of 07/08 come a very poor second. League One is no better than last year but the teams that under achieved last year have got their acts together and we're getting left behind and looking over our shoulder is becoming a far more pressing matter. What worries me is if the players are de-motivated when treading water in lower mid-table, how the hell are they going to react when we hit the bottom four? If things do not improve I would be an advocate of appointing a director of football or bringing in an older coach to assist Shez, (he proved for that four month purple patch he can get results and i'm willing to give him at least until Christmas) but we have a very young coaching staff and a little experience might just gain us that 'Plan B' and freshen things up a little. Whom to appoint? Not sure.

Is that the same league as Champoinship now not third division?

I've said right at the very top of the thread am not looking for Sheridan out and for me he still as time. However I may not have professional football experience as a player nor manager but I have many many years experience watching it and watching manager's behaviour and bull speak. Right now I see a manager with rabbit like scared eyes in car headlamps whilst tryin to bull the masses about excellent performances. Well put it this way if it's not bulling the masses it's utter deludlement (is that a word? if it isn't it ought to be!) of one's self through not knowing what to do next, which is far far worse.

Do you know what the bigger dangerous problem is currently? that hardened nailed on Tic's are getting disillusioned not with our present league postion, cos we've endured and survived that like forever, but it's the play on the pitch whilst in this postion that's doing it. It's dire to watch with little hope and light eminating from snippets of passages play that suggest there's something to be worked from. There's no doubt some of these players have the ability and quality but something fundamentally is wrong with the balance, shape and tactics of this team. It isn't a team it's a disjointed consortium dotted with players, some with ability, others experience whilst some are avarage lower league players. Yet they way they are performing that could be rephrased with once good reputations, journeymen and very mediocre players.

It only takes a spark to light a raging fire across 100 acres. Lets hope Northampton proves to be ours, we need a a win from any kind of performance and hopefully some confidence to go forward. Come on Shez now is the time to earn the lucra and get YOUR team firing all together in the right direction.

Guest oa_exile
Do you know what the bigger dangerous problem is currently? that hardened nailed on Tic's are getting disillusioned not with our present league postion, cos we've endured and survived that like forever, but it's the play on the pitch whilst in this postion that's doing it. It's dire to watch with little hope and light eminating from snippets of passages play that suggest there's something to be worked from. There's no doubt some of these players have the ability and quality but something fundamentally is wrong with the balance, shape and tactics of this team. It isn't a team it's a disjointed consortium dotted with players, some with ability, others experience whilst some are avarage lower league players. Yet they way they are performing that could be rephrased with once good reputations, journeymen and very mediocre players.

Agree 100% on that Lags.This is what has been the biggest dissapointment for me.

When Shez took over i remember going to the pre season games and seeing a "Totally" different style of play than the season before under Rockin Ron.

OK we didnt start the season well BUT i knew it would come good , the football was being played right !

Now we can all keep going on about this but the bottom line is something went wrong at the end of January , we totally lost the style of play and to date i have not been to one watch since were i can say "Ah now , thats what we can perform like".

Shez has made personnel changes to the team and squad "To get us out of this league" , well i am not seeing it !

Needs to get back to basics and start playing that attractive style of football that made all the other teams in this division stand up and take note !

Come on Shez now is the time to earn the lucra and get YOUR team firing all together in the right direction.

............... Rant over :rant.sml:

When did that last happen and not result in a sacking some way down the road?

i have said in previous threads that shez would benefit from an older wiser head.big joe would be ideal,he knows what this club means to its long suffering fans.

plus i may be wrong here,but didnt we play better with philliskirk helping first team coaching???

not saying tommy wright isnt doing it right,just philiskirk is far better in my opinion.

warne may not have been prolific,but he at least run his nuts off trying,which at present we dont have anybody doing that,liddell last season was the leagues leading assister.nothing doing this season.

like has been said already,pre season was looking good,but kilkenny has since come in and i for one think it has disrupted our midfield completely.

during the 2 week break we had i would of hoped shez has sat them all down,and explained in simple terms what is expected and needed,and a re-introduction to basic play.

but sadly i dont think he has.

i have said in previous threads that shez would benefit from an older wiser head.big joe would be ideal,he knows what this club means to its long suffering fans.

plus i may be wrong here,but didnt we play better with philliskirk helping first team coaching???

not saying tommy wright isnt doing it right,just philiskirk is far better in my opinion.

warne may not have been prolific,but he at least run his nuts off trying,which at present we dont have anybody doing that,liddell last season was the leagues leading assister.nothing doing this season.

like has been said already,pre season was looking good,but kilkenny has since come in and i for one think it has disrupted our midfield completely.

during the 2 week break we had i would of hoped shez has sat them all down,and explained in simple terms what is expected and needed,and a re-introduction to basic play.

but sadly i dont think he has.

Big Joe was along the same lines I was thinking, yes it would be hard for Sheridan to be in the shadows of a Latics Legend, but he would benefit from his 23 years of managerial experience and contacts.

I've never been in favour of this senerio of having a manager/coach plus an upstairs director of football. What the role of this upstairs guy?

To arrange the buying and selling of players? if so identified by who?

Picking the team? if so whats the manager/coach doing all week or indeed why is he here?

Taking training sessions or methods of training? again why the need for a manager/coach?

No I just don't get it really. Neither does Steve Bleasdale after Big Ron troubleshooter rode into town to help and guide with his vast experience in the game....Still Bleo is in the game barking orders "when I say battle....you bloody battle" at Leigh RMI

Most memorable line from the series/season that. I reckon those herberts who were filming us maybe had some similar ideas. Thank God we got rid.

There were a few people round here who were gutted when that was pulled, I can tell you. Imagine the extra money a highly trained expert could have been made applying the :censored: as Shez made a bid for the Peter Reid Services to Swearing at Football Award :)

There were a few people round here who were gutted when that was pulled, I can tell you. Imagine the extra money a highly trained expert could have been made applying the :censored: as Shez made a bid for the Peter Reid Services to Swearing at Football Award :)

According to Hardy they wanted to take it in a direction we as a club were not comfortable with. I did ask at that question night if Big Ron was ready to help out Shez. I never did get a proper answer. Shez wasn't too responsive to Hardy's claim of "you like Ron don't you Shez?".

Shez made this face <_<

I was led to believe a few months before that those doing the documentary didn't have a clue about football though. Bit like those involved in the Peterborough one. The walk out from "Bleo" was class as well.

"Right that's it for me, I've had enough lads, good luck, I resign".

That was a man cracking up right there, poor sod. The players laughing as he walked out was harsh too!

I think Shez's natural game is to get it on the deck and pass it, this is what we saw in the first few months of last season and upto xmas. After we went top Milwall came to town to play the top of the table team and they ruffed us up a bit, they were charged up as they had a tough away game and we turned up thinking we could beat Real Madrid. That showed other managers that if they got stuck in to us we didn't fancy it.

I think this is what dawned on shez, he is trying to play ugly but is not finding it easy adapting his tactics to the way he wants to play. Plus I think he is not playing the right formation to do what he wants to do.

4-2-3-1 is the way forward, the basic back 4, Kalala and Allot as the 2, Taylor, Kilkenny, Lids as the 3 and any one from 4 for the 1.

Well if you ask me you're right shez thought we were to soft especially in midfield and decided aka Rockin Ron style that the way out of this league was by force not guile. So now we have personel in JP and Allot who Shez thought could add steel as well as play passing football, sadly if you ask me again, he got that dead wrong cos niether can with any cutting edge malice to the oppo. Allied to that centre piece of the spine Gregan started like a 'I am a prima donna' bundled together with an abject Thompson (every manager can get a couple of signings completely wrong) with an aging stiff stuck to the line keeper at the base of the spine, whilst at the top end we had an unfit Rico and absent Hughes. Plus Taylor who as been well and truely useless. That's way to many passengers for any bus.

This is the reason why we look decidedly below average in the footballing stakes and very shaky indeed. I fear for this season cos the budgets gone and the current players (most) have all got contracts beyond this season. Moving players on in big enough quantities will be a tough ask to allow better players in to improve things this season during the window. I honestly think Sheridan as got his mix wrong and further I believe Sheridan knows it too now.

Edited by Lags

Well if you ask me you're right shez thought we were to soft especially in midfield and decided aka Rockin Ron style that the way out of this league was by force not guile. So now we have personel in JP and Allot who Shez thought could add steel as well as play passing football, sadly if you ask me again, he got that dead wrong cos niether can with any cutting edge malice to the oppo. Allied to that centre piece of the spine Gregan started like a 'I am a prima donna' bundled together with an abject Thompson (every manager can get a couple of signings completely wrong) with an aging stiff stuck to the line keeper at the base of the spine, whilst at the top end we had an unfit Rico and absent Hughes. Plus Taylor who as been well and truely useless. That's way to many passengers for any bus.

This is the reason why we look decidedly below average in the footballing stakes and very shaky indeed. I fear for this season cos the budgets gone and the current players (most) have all got contracts beyond this season. Moving players on in big enough quantities will be a tough ask to allow better players in to improve things this season during the window. I honestly think Sheridan as got his mix wrong and further I believe Sheridan knows it too now.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

JP and Allott are no better than Rocastle in my opinion.

OAFCShuck, the performance at Forest last season had been coming for a while, from the start of the season we were playing attractive decent football, creating chances but with no one to put the ball in the net, wasn't Forest Porters first game back?

This season we look disjointed, barely thread 3 passes together, and because of the lack of support our midfield offer the strikers we have no or little threat going forward. Say's it all we couldn't break down a very poor Cheltenham side when they had 10 men.

Edited by Butter

It looks to me as though the Midfield can't offer any support to our strikers because they are being bypassed. The attractive, penetrative football of last season as been replaced by hoofball and headball. It's no good slagging off Kalala anf Kilkenny when they're not even seeing the ball going forward.

It is understandable though in certain ways because Taylor has become totally ineffective at the moment. You've got to have someone who's going to develop the play further upfield and be an effective link between defence and attack. The group I sit with keep coming back to the same point every match. The midfield aren't getting the ball.. Going forward.. :mainstand: