Hold The Front Page

Hang on guys.

What this shows is that we need to think properly about this and I had an email on Sunday from astottie saying exactly that.. Is our aim to put up a Candidate - single issue or otherwise or is it to simply ensure that Cllr Harrison loses his seat?

We need to think it through and there's no point arguing about it at the moment although the idea generation so far is excellent. We have one shot at this and so we need a proper, thought out strategy to make sure that it works.

And we will win. I'm sure of that.

(To Ominous...) No problem... if I could be bothered digging back I could find the results of last May's election in the ward, and the total electorate.

As a percentage, turnout is usually around 37-39%.

As an independent, assuming Lab/lib Dem/Tory all stand, I think 200 votes would be achievable. Unfortunately, 200 would also be plenty to affect the result - quite possibly in Harrison's favour.

Edited by garcon

Hang on guys.

What this shows is that we need to think properly about this and I had an email on Sunday from astottie saying exactly that.. Is our aim to put up a Candidate - single issue or otherwise or is it to simply ensure that Cllr Harrison loses his seat?

We need to think it through and there's no point arguing about it at the moment although the idea generation so far is excellent. We have one shot at this and so we need a proper, thought out strategy to make sure that it works.

And we will win. I'm sure of that.

I agree! I think this is all healthy debate. We can be bigger and better than a one issue party. Whats happening to our football club is a great example of what is happening to the town. I think we should put a party together which wants to improve this town and we should stand in every ward!!! Bloody hell! if the dim wits at the BNP can get votes I reckon we could win alot of seats!

Edited by oafc0000

we just chewin the fat brother!

You are welcome to some of mine if you're hungry!

I know we are all on the same wavelength but I was concerned it was getting a bit side-tracked. Shows the passion and common sense of people really and there are great points coming from you; garcon; oafc0000 and philligi amongst others.

Anyway, gotta pick up the kids!

You are welcome to some of mine if you're hungry!

I know we are all on the same wavelength but I was concerned it was getting a bit side-tracked. Shows the passion and common sense of people really and there are great points coming from you; garcon; oafc0000 and philligi amongst others.

Anyway, gotta pick up the kids!

I think the idea about standing in every ward is a good one, but is it achievable? if we are going to do this though i must agree that we have to represent the regeneration of Oldham as a whole, not just safe guarding the future development of boundary park. There is a danger that we may be seen as "a group of drunkern football hooligans dabbling in something which is out of their league". This might sound a bit daft, but that is basically how a few people i have spoken to saw the march before it happened, and so did not attend. WE need to approach this proffessionally and responsibly, and the only way we can do that is by representing the borough as a whole, not just latics. this would be easier to do i feel if we could get a candidate in each ward.

each ward candidate would get more individual votes, if they had other candidates in other wards campaigning on their behalf.

If your a one issue party you wont get in, hence making the whole affair pointless....

I personlly wouldnt vote for someone standing in my ward saying there only concern is the Club.....and im a Oldham fan! Oldham, as a town is more important its just that in this case what the football club is trying to achive benefits the club and the town!

We have to fight this from the point of view of the council failing the town and this is one massive example. Please only stand if you care about the TOWN and want to improve Oldham. Are councilors need to offer more than one issue concerns otherwise you just become another Bashforth but from a different side of the line.

A one issue candidate has as much chance as any other. At least the voters know that they do not have to follow a party line. They would be left in no doubt as to what the Candidate stands for and I am damn sure that we can muster 800 plus voters in a ward to get out and vote. Thats all it usually needs to get one of these current muppets elected. Its just about the campaign. I understand that local councillors have to represent the local electorate but consider this. Does a local labour councillor think about what his Conservative constituents want. He has been elected on a party ticket. Also remember that each vote cast is in fact two because it takes a vote from someone else. I also agree Oldham is important but would also argue that a football supporter standing on an independant ticket would have a greater amount of power in a council which has been running with a small majority for the past few years. they could bring a non political view point to the proceedings and we might see some common sense at last within the ivory tower....

Edited by happyterryb